I'm new here, looking into getting a shopsmith..which one?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Geddes84
Bronze Member

I'm new here, looking into getting a shopsmith..which one?

Post by Geddes84 »

Hi everyone, like I said I'm new here and I'm very interested in getting a shopsmith. I'm just not sure what I should be looking for or witch modles to avoid. I found a mark VII that has some attachments I'm interested in for a good price, but that model seems kindof like an odd ball unit, would it be a good unit compared to a more basic Mark V? What are some things I should look for and look out for when I'm shopping around and comparing units? What are some accessories I should try to find
In a deal and what accessories are not really that good or useful? Thanks everyone!
algale
Platinum Member

Re: I'm new here, looking into getting a shopsmith..which one?

Post by algale »

They will all get the job done. But my personal opinion is that if you will use it as a table saw, the 510 or 520 are the way to go because of the bigger main table, floating tables, extension tubes, better rip fence and better upper and lower saw guards. And the 520 is better IMO than the 510 based on the beefier fence that has more ways to attach jigs/fixtures.

My two most used SPTs are the band saw and the belt sander. They are well engineered and quite capable tools.

I would avoid the Mark VII because of the relative difficulty of getting repair parts.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

Geddes84
Bronze Member

Post by Geddes84 »

Algale, thank you for your reply. I was figuring as much when it comes to the mark VII and have been focusing on the mark V. What originally cought my eye with the shopsmith is the fact that I'm in need of a good table saw and a good drill press, what I'm finding with the shopsmith is that it's a quality piece of equipment that I could expect precision and durability from. I'm a dedicated "do it yourself" and I always fix or build anything in my world that needs fixing or building so I'm happy that these units can accomplish a large number tasks. One of the accessories I felt I needed with a shopsmith is the bandsaw and the extension legs for ease of using the table saw, so your definitely preaching to the choir. I never gave the belt sander much thought because I'm not seeing a lot of them for sale but, it would definitely help me out in my shop. Thanks
shopsmithpaul
Gold Member

Post by shopsmithpaul »

Are you wanting to buy used or new. If used take a look at some of the threads on what to look for in a used machine. There are a lot of old ones that need work if you have the time to repair them. The good thing is parts are still available for those older models. I have been using a 510 for thirty plus years.
510, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, jointmatic
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

There are numerous threads about what to look for when buying used, the best of which are probably the top three "sticky" threads in the Maintenance and Repair Forum.

Also, in the Community Forum, the top "sticky" there is a thread about Bargains that others members find but are unable to get or use themselves. I like to cruise the Craigslist ads in my area, and on the east and west coast where I have relatives who might be able to pick up a bargain for me. Expand your search area and you will find numerous good buys out there. And as I have learned here, when searching Craigslist, searching for both "Shopsmith" and "Shop Smith" will sometimes yield more results.
bob84
Gold Member

Post by bob84 »

If you do not mind traveling a distance to get a bargain try 'searchtempest.com' It utilizes craigslist but gives results from a range you select.
Also, sometimes other sites like: Facebook, Offerup, LetGo, Shopgoodwill and ETBH (Everything But The House) . . . will have a Shopsmith for you. And as mentioned use the keywords "Shopsmith" and "Shop smith" as well as sometimes "Magna" and 'Yuba" (the latter two search criteria will yield older Shopsmith models).
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The advice above is really good advice. Do your research to find what will work best for you. The following PDF should be helpful and is one of the documents you can find that br549 reffered to in the Maintenance and Repair section under Shopsmith Large Format Drawings Illustrations and More. Although there are a few grammatical and technical errors in it, the suggestions are still very useful.
Buying a Used Shopsmith Mark V.pdf
(280.87 KiB) Downloaded 2542 times
The old Mark VII was made in the 1960's and although you could find a good working one repair or replacement parts, if needed, are hard to find. The new Mark 7 is built on the Mark V with the addition of the Power Pro motor and Double Tilt ends and looks like a Mark V 520. The old Mark VII, new Mark 7 and the Mark V 520 are shown below.
Old Mark VII
Old Mark VII
MARK-VII_SS Inc.jpg (7.93 KiB) Viewed 30661 times
New Mark 7 with the Power Pro Motor
New Mark 7 with the Power Pro Motor
mark7site.jpg (75.19 KiB) Viewed 30661 times
Mark V 520
Mark V 520
01_Model 520.jpg (28.14 KiB) Viewed 30661 times
If you are going with the Mark V as recommended there are several pluses. It is still in production and replacement parts if ever needed are readily available. The Mark V can even be up graded to a new Mark 7. When looking for a Mark V you will find them listed as Mark 5 which are the older ones made from 1954 until 1980 when the number 5 was changed to the Roman Numeral V. It is the same machine but changes/improvements were made over the years. Also the Mark 5 was out of production from late 1964 until 1973. The different Mark V models seen today have to do with the table/fence it has. The Mark V 500 is the original table/fence system. The Mark V 510 added a new larger table system with floating tables and a second Mark V the 505 came out at the same time without the floating tables. The Mark V 520 has the larger tables with floating ones and the Pro Fence. The Mark 7 uses this same Table/Fence system as the 520. Below are pictures of the different main tables.
mark V 500 table views 2.jpg
mark V 500 table views 2.jpg (16.08 KiB) Viewed 30661 times
mark V 505 510 table views.jpg
mark V 505 510 table views.jpg (26.79 KiB) Viewed 30661 times
mark 7 mark V 520 table views.jpg
mark 7 mark V 520 table views.jpg (26.24 KiB) Viewed 30661 times
Remember the newer the machine and the different table/fence system will affect the price. Sometimes patience can really pays off. I saw a new/unused still in the box Mark 7 sell for $1500 earlier this year near me. Start watching what Shopsmiths are selling for in your area and when you find one that runs well with the Model (500, 510, 520) you want at a fair price, buy it. Also consider what accessories come with it included in the price. The more it has of what you will need the less you will have to find/buy later.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

With regard to a used Shopsmith you might like to look at Version 2 of the file Russ included:

Check out Buying a Used Shopsmith V2.PDF It as well as many others are available on The “Shopsmith Large Format Drawings Illustrations and More” thread, under Maintenance an Repair Forum here.

It’s on the main page of My Google Drive

see http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 90#p185690

Everett
DaveSchmitt
Bronze Member

Post by DaveSchmitt »

I began using my dads SS MarkV around 1967. Over the years I found the table too small for larger pieces. I recently upgraded to a 510 and I love it. The 520 looks like it would be great but I bought used. My dad had bought the band saw, scroll saw, belt sander, and joiner. They all fit on the new machine.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

DaveSchmitt wrote:I began using my dads SS MarkV around 1967. Over the years I found the table too small for larger pieces. I recently upgraded to a 510 and I love it. The 520 looks like it would be great but I bought used. My dad had bought the band saw, scroll saw, belt sander, and joiner. They all fit on the new machine.
Do not lament over having a 510 and not a 520. Your 510 will do everything that could be done on it if it was a 520. The rip fence (in conjunction with the 520 rails) provides a bit more stability but is not a bit more accurate.

Now I have both and I do prefer using the 520 but that may just because I spent the money to upgrade to a 520. After all, I made that decision and I therefore it must stick by that decision.

Seriously, use your 510 and become really familiar with its attributes. After using it for a while (and I don't mean a few days or weeks) if you find displeasure - then upgrade to the 520. Be aware, after upgrading you are likely to be challenged by a further upgrade to a double tilt and then onto the PowerPro. This is a prevailing trend and especially if this is a website that you frequently visit.

Like parents/grand parents - we all love our children/grand children no matter what your faults may be. Faults? What faults?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.