Extra part

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ClintCote
Bronze Member

Extra part

Post by ClintCote »

Hoping the subject line will grab some attention:). I just bought a shopsmith and I polled the headstock to make sure everything is in good condition. When I got the bottom pan off and knocked out the sawdust I found this piece (pictured). I’ve been looking at the exploded view drawings and can’t seem to find it. I’m looking on my phone which isn’t the most user friendly. Any suggestions where this goes?
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Extra part

Post by JPG »

We need to SEE the pix.

I am gonna guess either a wire loop, tension pin, or a domed washer.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ClintCote
Bronze Member

Post by ClintCote »

Sorry, I thought it did the attachment. I’m trying to get it to work but keep getting errors.
Attachments
Roller clip
Roller clip
984080C6-4BA4-4BD4-BB19-BC1BEB08AA12.jpeg (787.2 KiB) Viewed 7427 times
WileyCoyote
Gold Member

Post by WileyCoyote »

Definitely fell off your speed control. See the following thread for pics of where it goes:
https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/main ... 18445.html
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Although it appears the loop is to pull the control sheave open, it is actually there to prevent the bearing inner race button from rotating.

Yes the loop will pull the sheave etc. along the shaft WHEN the sheave is inadequately lubricated(or also the motor shaft floating sheave in insufficiently lubricated). When that IS the case the loop will eventually be pulled out of the pin.

Ya might oughta also look for the pin. It acts as a tube for the hook ends of the loop to be inserted into. The pin floats in the hole in the bearing button.
loop pin.jpg
loop pin.jpg (30.62 KiB) Viewed 7347 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ClintCote
Bronze Member

Post by ClintCote »

Thanks for the information. As was pointed out I don’t have the pin. I swept the sawdust out into the driveway and hope the pin is still around. Going to tr using an old speaker battery to try to find it. If I can’t find it is the pin or clip sold separate or do I need to get a new quadrant assembly? I’m ordering a new cord anyway because the ground pin is about to pull out. My quadrant assembly is in great shape so I’d hate to have to replace it.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The Roll Pin and Retaining Loop are part of the Control Sheave and Shopsmith may or may not sell it separately any longer. You would need to check. The Roll Pin part number 513734 is listed as $.99. The Retaining Loop part number 504187 is listed as $1.98. The Control Sheave is only sold with these two parts already attached as part number 515556 for $56.65. Check the bearing on the end of the Control Sheave where the Roll Pin goes through to see if it still turns freely. If it does get a new Roll Pin but if not consider replacing the Control Sheave with the Roll Pin and Retaining Loop. A bad bearing may be why you found it in the bottom of the headstock.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
ClintCote
Bronze Member

Post by ClintCote »

Thank you all for the help! I got the parts ordered.