Just out of curosity how many of you know what this is?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Just out of curosity how many of you know what this is?

Post by reible »

Or even better has used one?
20180209_165016_resized.jpg
20180209_165016_resized.jpg (185.1 KiB) Viewed 8388 times
20180209_165001_resized.jpg
20180209_165001_resized.jpg (200.44 KiB) Viewed 8388 times
20180209_164942_resized.jpg
20180209_164942_resized.jpg (143.32 KiB) Viewed 8388 times
This is a plastic version but in the old days they were sheet metal. This is before the masses got snowblowers and had a lot of snow that needed moving. Rather then shovel it you scooped it and pushed or drag the snow out of the way and dumped it.

I did most of my driveway and sidewalk but a neighbor came with a snowblower and got the last couple of feet at the end of the driveway where the plows do their damage. I have two non working snowblowers but I use to help out that way too so in a way it was nice to receive the help (but I could have managed but it would have taken longer).

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Just out of curosity how many of you know what this is?

Post by garys »

I know what that is. It is your back surgeons friend. It brings him a lot of business. You really need one of these if you expect to do the job and keep your back in working condition.
oldc6
Gold Member

Post by oldc6 »

This will get the job done with a lot less backache. :D :D :D
Attachments
v8-Snowblower-239.jpg
v8-Snowblower-239.jpg (37.38 KiB) Viewed 8377 times
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The shovel is far worse and I know because I have a bad back. I can shovel 15 or 20 minutes maximum but I was out for about 2-1/2 hours with the scoop with no problems. You don't have to lift with the scoop it just sliding it along and moving it to another location.

When we lived in a two flat I was able to keep up three college boys when clearing our dive way and parking area. They could not throw it far enough so they had to move it twice and I didn't. Of course back then I was just in my 30's and still in shape not like now.

I think I might invest in a new snowblower next year. Part with the two non working ones and make some room for it in the shed. One of mine works when it is warm but will not start in the cold, and it is pull start so it only takes a full pulls to wreck my back. Next time I'll get one with a starter. The other one is a two cycle and the carb leaks. Not a big deal except they put the motor inside and build around it. You have to take it half apart to get to the carb and it a real pain. Haven't felt up to it the last couple of years.

No I do not need one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvR-eaKUVqU

But it is cool.

Ed

garys wrote:I know what that is. It is your back surgeons friend. It brings him a lot of business. You really need one of these if you expect to do the job and keep your back in working condition.
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

reible wrote:Or even better has used one?

This is a plastic version but in the old days they were sheet metal. This is before the masses got snowblowers and had a lot of snow that needed moving. Rather then shovel it you scooped it and pushed or drag the snow out of the way and dumped it.

I did most of my driveway and sidewalk but a neighbor came with a snowblower and got the last couple of feet at the end of the driveway where the plows do their damage. I have two non working snowblowers but I use to help out that way too so in a way it was nice to receive the help (but I could have managed but it would have taken longer).

Ed
I have one. I got in Quebec in the 80's when I was stationed there. They work great. Mine is obviously the old galvanized steel. I still have it. It is almost dark here. I will post a picture tomorrow. I have actually used it a few times here in the last 30 years.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote:

Ed
I have one. I got in Quebec in the 80's when I was stationed there. They work great. Mine is obviously the old galvanized steel. I still have it. It is almost dark here. I will post a picture tomorrow. I have actually used it a few times here in the last 30 years.
When I have to 'shovel' snow, I use a grain scoop.

I consider those crooked handle things a solution in search of a problem. I simply cannot be effective with them. Besides the handles are too flimsy.

I prefer the steel 'scoop' with a straight handle for shallower snow(and packed down snow).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
jsburger wrote:

Ed
When I have to 'shovel' snow, I use a grain scoop.

I consider those crooked handle things a solution in search of a problem. I simply cannot be effective with them. Besides the handles are too flimsy.

I prefer the steel 'scoop' with a straight handle for shallower snow(and packed down snow).
:confused: :confused: :confused: I have one of Ed's northern tier scoops not one of the crooked handle things.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

The bent handle allows you to shovel standing straight up. Just what your back doctor ordered and just what your heart doctor ordered. I've had these shovels for the last 20 years and never again will use any shovel with a straight handle or a short handle.
Of course, I shovel only if it is an inch or two. More snow than that brings out my big electric start snowblower that is now doing its 21st North Dakota winter without needing repairs. It has been a great machine for me. Last winter it moved 72 inches of snow out of my way.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I have a lot of shovels. Quite a few are different types of scoop shovels, quite a few are grain scoops (this is a farm after all) but I also have stone scoops (much smaller than grain scoops :D ), coal scoops and one that looks mostly like a grain scoop but it has a very long straight handle like a common dirt shovel but longer. I never really worked out what it was actually for. :)
I have a fair sized old snow blower that I have not used for probably 20 years. I have some garden tractor snow blades, both 2 wheel and 4 wheel tractors. The really heavy tough one is a Gravely. I have a blade for my Farmall Cub that will mount either mid (belly) mount or out front. I have 4 tractor blades that are 3 point hitch mount, one is an old county highway blade for a dump truck that was converted to 3 point hitch mount. We used to use it on a 100 HP class tractor and could get through drifts that the county could not. With all of those available I rarely ever move any snow at all. We have a son that lives just down the road at the north end of the farm and if it snows he magically appears and when he leaves, the walks, drives and the open barn-lots are cleared. :cool: :cool: :cool: He's a keeper...

I used to hand scoop around 4,000 bushels of grain every year... Today, if I carefully paced myself, wore my high priced back brace, and took a break about every few minutes I could "maybe" fill a pickup truck... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :o :(

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Ed
I have one. :D :D :D and use it when necessary, they work great.
snowscoop.jpg
snowscoop.jpg (194.45 KiB) Viewed 8270 times
This winter we haven't had enough snow to use it, but when we do it is sooo much better then using a shovel. When the scoop is full just slide it to the dump site, a quick push, pull back, the snow slides off and you are ready to go again. No lifting or throwing. :cool:
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,