Moving from CA to CO

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Movers Moving the SS

Leave Assembled for the movers to handle
37%
Dis-assemble before the mover's touch it
63%

Total votes: 19

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Moving from CA to CO

Post by dusty »

terrydowning wrote:Oh, I'm no stranger to the moving process. Active Duty Air Force for 15 years. The longest I was ever lived in one place was in England. 18 Months on the economy, 22 Months Base Housing at RAF Lakenheath. So I know all about box labeling and not releasing an agent of the company until we have unpacked and inspected everything of value. I learned to keep a separate "High-Value" inventory sheet and made sure the numbered boxes and items on that list were unpacked inspected before the movers were released.

True story, We have "keepsake" boxes that have not been unpacked for more than 25 years. We know what's in them just sentimental stuff that can't be replaced anyways.

I never had the SS (or any stationary power tools) while serving in the AF. I did use the base hobby shops though! The SS was at my folks house here in CA. I have done some local moves but those were easy.
We too have "keepsake boxes" that heretofore had not been unpacked for many years. No more. All of those boxes got unpacked by my wife and kids (and grand kids) and the contents were sorted through by all but the younger set. Some of them even by the younger set. A lot of what was the contents now has new residence. The remains got repacked and carefully marked to detail contents. My wife and I will almost certainly never lay eyes and those items again. Yes, Ed, we are going to pay for storage at the rate of a little over $100 a month.

It is the short move (by family members) of my shop equipment that gives me nightmares. I can just envision the Mark V tipping over and falling off as they attempt to push it up the ramp or someone dropping my router table and messing up the edge/corner.

I moved the Shopsmith equipment four times while on active duty. I suffered lose on only one move (the first). We did not do a good job of tracking articles/cartons on and off the truck. When all was said and done there was no payback. Paperwork that I signed declared that everything was received at destination. Two boxes did not make it. To this day we are not absolutely certain what was in those two boxes.

I swear by Mayflower. We requested Mayflower (even after that first move) and got them all three time. The first was Mayflower by chance. I did not know at that time that I could specify the carrier.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

They must have changed the rules then (JFTR). When I was moving around (1985-2000) I could NOT select my carrier. Not sure who we'll use for the upcoming move yet.

I've had Mayflower, North American, Bekins, and others I can't even remember including an English company (England back to US) and a Turkish outfit (Turkey to US).

The move from England to US was the best by far, everything was packed with care and arrived without issue.

All of my moves were successful to varying degrees. I only had minor damage and loss.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Its a double edge sword,,if you keep in intact it will use less floor space in the trailer .If you take it apart it may get stacked on some thing else or vise versa .

I would let the mover decide.

When I bought myn it was 4 hr drive one way , I took it apart .

I serviced it as I put it back together..

JMO.
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

I've moved numerous Model 10 Shopsmiths,
and I think THEY are quite easy to move.

I just disassemble them, and it is quite easy.

However, I've not moved a 5 or V.
(I do have a VII, I got for free, and
it looks to be "fun" to disassemble.

No, I'm not letting the movers decide.
I'd break it down, and box everything.
(Except the tubes.)

steve
10 ER, stripped down.
Basic 10ER, Parts machine. Will be a semi-dedicated drill-press machine.
10 ER, a "survivor" of the trailer fire, in the back yard, needing restoration. Has a Mk5 headrest. Finally, stripped down.
Numerous parts, for Model 10 stuff. Except for lower saw guard, A and B adapters, I've got it.

Looking for one more, or some 9 inch extension table raisers.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I have moved Shopsmiths at least 4 times and found it very easy. I leave the main unit fully assembled. I just wrap the power head in a blanket and lay the unit on its side. The accessories can be easily moved in the same way. I see no reason to take things apart.
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

When we moved from CA to Las Vegas I moved us with a uhaul and lots of help. That iinvolved 5 SS 510's but I was in charge of the move. If someone else is moving you I would buy some plywood and crate it myself. Remove the legs and bolt the unit to a piece of plywood and crate around it. That goes for the accessories too. Welcome to the exodus !
Paul
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

Well the mover's (Colonial contracting with a private local Lombardi Moving and Storage. I have to say, they were GREAT!) picked up everything. It is being shipped in one piece top loaded on an upper deck so nothing stacked on top of it.

All tables and attachments were dis-assembled and boxed (I needed to do a proper alignment anyways). We'll see how it all comes out on the other end in a couple of weeks.

Of course after moving across half the country SWMBO's priorities won't be on me setting up a new shop so who knows how long it will actually be.
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

Move complete. Once we finish un-packing and getting everything where we want it, I can start setting up the shop. SS appears to have transited just fine.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Glad you are settling in in your new home in Colorado.

David Hetzel who lives reasonably close to you in another community helped me acquire my 10E. Maybe he will reach out to you and you two can collaborate some.

I have a daughter in Colorado Springs so when I am back in Colorado perhaps we can meet somewhere and have dinner and my wife and I can get to meet you.

My daughter, son-in-law and grandson met David when they picked up my 10E from him. I haven't had the opportunity to meet him personally either.

I would love to change that too.

Everett
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

Glad the move went well. Always a tense time but you have moved to a beautiful part of the country !
Paul