Emerson motor starter issue

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

berserker
Bronze Member

Emerson motor starter issue

Post by berserker »

My Shopsmith wouldn't turn on, just hummed, so I took the motor (Emerson C55DDR-2015B) apart to blow out the sawdust (which I had done about 2 years ago). In the process of putting it back together a small spring & set of washers fell out. They are part of the starter switch but in what order? I made my best guess (top-to-bottom: spring, metal washer, rubberized(?) washer, plastic washer) & put the motor together. After turning it on, in short order, I got some smoke. Turns out I melted the spring.

So now I'm thinking the correct order should be (from top) plastic washer, rubberized washer, metal washer, spring (or, saying it another way, spring goes on the post first, then the metal washer, etc). Is that correct?

My understanding is that when the motor is off the brass arm is depressed by the centrifugal switch and doesn't make contact with the rigid bar above it. When the motor is on, the arm will rise, once the centrifugal switch is out of the way, and make contact with the bar.

How important is the spring? Right now, without the spring, the brass arm still "springs up" and makes contact with the rigid bar when it is not pressed. Anybody have any info (size, etc) on the spring? I'm going to need a new one. I can see that one end of the old spring was 1/2" wide the other end about 5/16". How long was it?

Thank you very much for the help.
Attachments
P1090427b.jpg
P1090427b.jpg (195.27 KiB) Viewed 2624 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Emerson motor starter issue

Post by JPG »

When the motor is 'stopped' the phenolic ring presses against the 'brass' arm and causes the contact on the bar to make contact with a contact under the round thingie.

The phenolic ring moves away from the 'brass' arm as the motor starts. The metal piece that appears shorter than 'normal' is not a contact, but a mechanical stop. It prevents the 'brass arm' from riding on the phenolic ring when the motor is up to speed.

I have never had the 'thingie' apart so I do not know if that is what you are asking about re assembly sequence.

Working from memory here. I do not remember what the 'spring'/stop looked like.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
bhurley
Gold Member

Post by bhurley »

Does anyone know how I would purchase one of the phenolic rings that is part of the centrifical switch on the Emerson motor?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

bhurley wrote:Does anyone know how I would purchase one of the phenolic rings that is part of the centrifical switch on the Emerson motor?
Buy a burned motor to get the actuator ring.(I got lucky after breaking mine!). Try Simon e on E-bay.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange