Miter Gauge ?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jonesuh
Gold Member

Miter Gauge ?

Post by jonesuh »

I have a 520 table system---I think you can attach the Miter gauge to the belt sander table & tighten it down to attach a jig -- but it doesn't on mine---do I need a special miter bar ?
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Miter Gauge ?

Post by JPG »

As you have no doubt already discovered, the 'wedging' screw is too far away to work on the small belt sander table.

IIWM, I would look for an alternative method. A piece of wood and a couple of c clamps?

See what happens when one relies on 'memory' and does not go to the shop to verify?

Cleaning the egg off my faced! :rolleyes: See posts below!!!
Last edited by JPG on Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

jonesuh wrote:I have a 520 table system---I think you can attach the Miter gauge to the belt sander table & tighten it down to attach a jig -- but it doesn't on mine---do I need a special miter bar ?
I am not certain about what you are attempting to do that does not work.

Does this photo image depict your belt sander table and miter gauge?

Does the miter bar on yours have the tapered screw that is seen here in my miter bar?

Please ignore the bolt in the miter gauge.
Attachments
Belt Sander 001.JPG
Belt Sander 001.JPG (1.38 MiB) Viewed 3456 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jonesuh
Gold Member

Post by jonesuh »

yes it has that but not sure the screw is the right one it screws in with the hex wrench but doesn't tighten the bar ---don't know if I'm missing a piece---i'll check the exploded parts list
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

jonesuh wrote:yes it has that but not sure the screw is the right one it screws in with the hex wrench but doesn't tighten the bar ---don't know if I'm missing a piece---i'll check the exploded parts list
There is nothing but the screw. However it is a tapered screw so it spreads the bar when tightened.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Speculating on source of confusion: There are two holes in the belt sander's miter slot. I believe these are for attaching jigs. The miter bar itself tightens in the slot simply by turning the tapered screw as stated by jsburger.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I have a old miter gauge that I acquired along with my band saw (cast iron table). The bar never did tighten very well, and it recently quit tightening at all ... the taper screw pushes the bar up out of the slot instead. The problem turned out to be a badly worn taper screw. I borrowed the one from my 520 miter gauge, and it worked fine. So I have a new taper screw on order from Shopsmith.
Last edited by BuckeyeDennis on Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

jonesuh wrote:yes it has that but not sure the screw is the right one it screws in with the hex wrench but doesn't tighten the bar ---don't know if I'm missing a piece---i'll check the exploded parts list
I think you have the solution - a new tapered screw. Save yourself time looking and get it from Shopsmith. Item 279

http://www.shopsmith.com/service/mark/m ... s_list.htm
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jonesuh
Gold Member

Post by jonesuh »

thanks that's what I suspected---i'll get a new on----or 2
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

In the mean time use a paper shim. ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange