Shopsmith Traveling Academy

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Shopsmith Traveling Academy

Post by jsburger »

They're back!!!!

I got an email yesterday saying the SS Traveling Academy is back. I called CS and talked to Gail who knew nothing about it. After talking to someone she said yes apparently they are back. They are currently being put on by Mike Young who is one of the demonstrators at Lowe's.

There are currently 4 scheduled. Tulsa, OK, Colorado Springs, CO, Salt Lake City, UT and Tigard, OR. Apparently the Tulsa class is full. It was on the web site yesterday but gone today.

Here is the link to the web site to register.

http://www.shopsmithseminars.com/
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith Traveling Academy

Post by dusty »

I think it might be a misnomer to refer to these as the "Shopsmith Traveling Academy".
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote:I think it might be a misnomer to refer to these as the "Shopsmith Traveling Academy".
OK, what ever you think. It is better than nothing and is a start hopefully. It is SS sponsored so that is a good sign. Salt Lake City is 30 Nov and my wife and I are going so we will see.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

When I was at a demo in July Mike Young was talking about doing a traveling day long class/academy soon. Not sure if this is what he was talking about but it could be.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

thunderbirdbat wrote:When I was at a demo in July Mike Young was talking about doing a traveling day long class/academy soon. Not sure if this is what he was talking about but it could be.
I am sure it is. The email has links to SS CS and the SS CS phone number. Time will tell if this pans out to be as good as the Doug Reid traveling academies.

I have been to 3 or 4 demos at Lowe's. When I bought my Power Pro head stock it was Dave Folkerth doing the demo. All the other times I attended the demo it was someone else. I guess it was Mike.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:I think it might be a misnomer to refer to these as the "Shopsmith Traveling Academy".

How come? :confused:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ddub

Post by ddub »

humm, none in North Dakota... LOL
woodburner
Gold Member

Post by woodburner »

I guess the price has gone up to. The earlier version cost $45.00 a day, and the seminar lasted three days total, each day covering different subjects. Now it's just one day for $99.00. Hope it's worth the cost. I'll probably check it out if it comes through central CA.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

woodburner
Check out the prices of the woodcraft one day classes at their stores. Most are quite a bit higher and the student has to buy the supplies.
Bill V
woodburner
Gold Member

Post by woodburner »

Hi Bill
Yes, I do know that there are many woodworking classes that cost more. I was just referring too if the new TA is just a repeat of what it was 10-12 years ago, then I'm not sure if it is worth the higher cost.
For those who have never been to one, sure it will be great experience for them. But for those who have been to the past TA's, what will they be teaching us that is new, besides trying to sell us on buying a power pro.
Looking at the website, it reads as the same as what Doug Reid taught many years ago. If they can show they have something new for us more experienced folks, then I might attend if it comes near my neighborhood.
As for the woodcraft classes, many are hands-on, and you get to make something and take it home. I don't recall ever getting to do that at a shopsmith class.
My woodworking/woodturning clubs bring in professional crafters such as David Ellsworth, Mike Mahoney, and Jimmy Clewes (just to name.a few) 3-4 times a year, and we only pay $35.00 for the entire day, and it includes lunch from Subway. Can Shopsmith offer that.