Converted 510 table to a router table progress

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

cooch366
Gold Member

Converted 510 table to a router table progress

Post by cooch366 »

Here is an update to my conversation of a 510 table to a router table. It is still a work in progress but coming along. Any ideas / suggestions are always welcomed. More to follow, Also my first time attaching photos this way, hope they show.

Steve

This is the top with a 1/4" aluminum insert recessed into the table.

[ATTACH]26885[/ATTACH]

Here is the machined 510 top.

[ATTACH]26886[/ATTACH]

The underneath, I moved the carriage assembly to the left using 2 of the 4 bolts that use to secure it. I took a set of extension legs which I am fabricating to attach to the table and insert into the SPT end of the unit. This will allow the unit it be supported, along with the raising and lowering of the table. There is plenty of "meat: in the table to support the plate and router.

[ATTACH]26887[/ATTACH]

My plan is to use some T-Nuts to attach a shaper fence to a 510 fence. This will allow centering of the fence. I will be making new faces for the shaper fence that will extend down to the table. I also will need to "modify" the red dust chute to accept a dust collector.

[ATTACH]26888[/ATTACH]

This is the unit to date. I've got enough room for the router between the legs, The combination of the table legs and the extension legs secure it with no movement.

[ATTACH]26889[/ATTACH]
Attachments
ssnew-1.jpg
ssnew-1.jpg (49.54 KiB) Viewed 9027 times
ssnew-2.jpg
ssnew-2.jpg (47.49 KiB) Viewed 9021 times
ssnew-3.jpg
ssnew-3.jpg (61.98 KiB) Viewed 9026 times
ssnew-4.jpg
ssnew-4.jpg (46.06 KiB) Viewed 9019 times
ssnew-5.jpg
ssnew-5.jpg (44.62 KiB) Viewed 9019 times
cooch366
Gold Member

Pictures not right

Post by cooch366 »

:mad: Not sure how to do this...

How does one get them to add so they can be seen in the post without having to open the attachments.

Sorry for my ignorance..... :)
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

cooch366 wrote::mad: Not sure how to do this...

How does one get them to add so they can be seen in the post without having to open the attachments.

Sorry for my ignorance..... :)
After uploading, go to the paperclip.
dusty
Platinum Member

Converted 510 table to a router table

Post by dusty »

If the new portion of the main table is absolutely level (coplanar) with the rest of the table, I would say that you have done a fabulous conversion. It had to be a lot of work though and I wonder why you did not simply hang a wooden table between the rails.

What are the advantages of this table over this one that Shopsmith sells.

I realize that this table hangs on a 520 but the same approach could have been used with 510 rails and tubes.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
cooch366
Gold Member

More work, but it's the journey

Post by cooch366 »

dusty wrote:If the new portion of the main table is absolutely level (coplanar) with the rest of the table, I would say that you have done a fabulous conversion. It had to be a lot of work though and I wonder why you did not simply hang a wooden table between the rails.I wanted to use my existing SS fences and attachments etc. Also the stability of the alum. table, but really it gave me a self induced "project".

What are the advantages of this table over this one that Shopsmith sells.$$$$$ I had the table, so it was cost of the 1/4 plate and the machining

I realize that this table hangs on a 520 but the same approach could have been used with 510 rails and tubes.
I have a 510 and 520, this is a 510 (tubes removed for construction :) ) but the nice thing is I can use it on either the 510 or 520]
dusty
Platinum Member

More work, but it's the journey

Post by dusty »

cooch366 wrote:I have a 510 and 520, this is a 510 (tubes removed for construction :) ) but the nice thing is I can use it on either the 510 or 520]

The title of your response says it all and I do understand that motivation. I take on many projects that have very little practical purpose and often times not financially advantageous.

I have no access to a machine shop or to the special tools without paying the going price. I simply could not afford the metal shop time.

As I said earlier, it looks real nice and I am sure you will enjoy having that extra table space.

Do you plan to hang it on the 510 along with a main table.

How thick is the table top? Looks to be about 1/4".
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
cooch366
Gold Member

Cheaper than the mother ship

Post by cooch366 »

Machining and plate costs ( the one pictured is not the final, a second had to be made because of an error in what had to be done), looks like it will be about $225.00 +- at a local shop. I think well worth it being able to use existing fences and accessories.

I'm using the 510 table I had with that machine, and don't need to replace it because I have the new one with the power pro.:) It's great because they are interchangeable on either machine.:D

I had 1/4" milled out of the top and as you can see in the picture, it left just some of the ribs exposed, but plenty strong enough to support the plate and router. So I guess the "War & Piece" version of the answer is yes it is a 1/4" plus.;)

I should get the "final" plate from the shop with the holes drilled for attaching the router next week. Then I'll need to cut back a few of the exposed ribs so the router sits flush on the plate. Then I plan to fabricate some plates/nuts to the table to attach the extension table legs with some bolts, then it will be on to the fence.

I am in agreement with what I've read posted here in the past. Sometimes working on jigs/tools/benches/storage is as much fun and accomplishment as a woodworking project itself.

dusty wrote:The title of your response says it all and I do understand that motivation. I take on many projects that have very little practical purpose and often times not financially advantageous.

I have no access to a machine shop or to the special tools without paying the going price. I simply could not afford the metal shop time.

As I said earlier, it looks real nice and I am sure you will enjoy having that extra table space.

Do you plan to hang it on the 510 along with a main table.

How thick is the table top? Looks to be about 1/4".
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

Nice adaptation! I had thoughts of a similar design, however I gave up when I decided to just go the INCRA route (no pun intended). My other thought is that with a table that nests between tables, I don't need to fold legs 90* when removed and stored.

I like the position of the opening!

Coming up with designs and jigs is some of my most fun time. Good thing I don't need to make a living doing it! :o

Be well,
Ben
cooch366
Gold Member

For next time

Post by cooch366 »

The square section is a little too big. I asked to have it milled the size of the standard router lift (8 3/4 x 11 ?/?) but include the ears.That way it could accept the lift at a later date. But it is what it is...
cooch366
Gold Member

For next time

Post by cooch366 »

The square section is a little too big. I asked to have it milled the size of the standard router lift (8 3/4 x 11 ?/?) but include the ears.That way it could accept the lift at a later date. But it is what it is...