Trend airshield/facemask?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Trend airshield/facemask?

Post by reible »

Since this winter has been the third coldest, third snowiest on record for us where I live, what will the rest of this year bring?

What you say is he talking about now?

One of the things I don't love is my dust mask and face mask or even my hearing protection. I use them but I don't love having to.

If I get an early start on the day the face mask likes to fog up, the dust mask gets damp, I sweat, all those elastic bands get tangled, when I try wiping the plastic it get static cling.........

I don't like the look of the trend airshield, it looks like you are about to go on riot duty but it does have some what seems to be good ideas. Then there is the price, and still using Ni-MH battery arrangement????

I'm ready for something better, but what?

What say you forum members?

Ed
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

reible wrote:Since this winter has been the third coldest, third snowiest on record for us where I live, what will the rest of this year bring?

What you say is he talking about now?

One of the things I don't love is my dust mask and face mask or even my hearing protection. I use them but I don't love having to.

If I get an early start on the day the face mask likes to fog up, the dust mask gets damp, I sweat, all those elastic bands get tangled, when I try wiping the plastic it get static cling.........

I don't like the look of the trend airshield, it looks on about to go on riot duty but it does have some what seems to be good ideas. Then there is the price, and still using Ni-MH battery arrangement????

I'm ready for something better, but what?

What say you forum members?

Ed
I have the Uvex / Sperian 8800 that looks like a paint ball mask. It fits well and holds in the up position very well. I bought the one without anti-fog, but when static dust got to be much I took a fabric softener sheet and lightly rubbed the front. Seems to work fine for that. Smells better too. Not really had a problem with fog yet. I have both ear plugs and muffs as needed but had them from the pistol range. The PP is so much more quite I find I just use the plugs. I have two different style / brand half masks for air filtering. One has carbon filters and the other for particles.

A wealthy friend has the self contained trend. It's not that good at keeping out dust and he had to shave his beard for it to be effective. The power runs out very quickly! He also has very sensitive acute hearing. He says the sound of the fan motor is distracting. It does seem like it does a good job of keeping the shield clear of fog. His Old fart "this is too much like work" panting and puffing, doesn't seem to be a problem :rolleyes: . Overall I'm not impressed, but then I've not ever used it.

I did see a video on another model but it looked more like what a fire fighter would wear.

Good luck with your search.

Be well,
Ben
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

Update....

I stumbled upon an Trend Airpro video and what Jerry has is the old model, His has the old foam around the bottom and the single big filter in front. The new model looks much better though it does sound noisy.

Just thought I'd let you know.

Be well,
Ben
rmojo
Gold Member

Post by rmojo »

beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
dgale
Platinum Member

Post by dgale »

$375 for a face shield and ear muffs…am I missing something? That seems wacky expensive.
'78 Mark V 500 #27995 (my Dad bought new)
'82 Mark V 500 #96309
Two '47 10E's (serial#4314+6149) - one a dedicated drill press and the other a lathe
Two 10E/ER in parts slowly being restored…#26822 and #????? (SS plate missing)
SPT's: Bandsaw, Belt Sander, Strip Sander, Jointer, Jigsaw, Biscuit Joiner
WmZiggy
Gold Member

Post by WmZiggy »

I guess I need to know more. What kind of work are you doing?

I use a face shield for some lathe work, otherwise I mostly use safety glasses. The face shield is a heavy plastic one open at the sides. However, even it can fog.

I have my lathe set-up with my vacuum system to catch most of the really small stuff, but I try to avoid sanding almost everything I make. This is why I started using wood planes as they give you a finish you can never get with sandpaper. I especially dislike routers, preferring my shapers (SS and Grizzly) where I can attach my vacuum system. For dovetails I have moved to cutting them by hand.

I never spray any finish and use mostly oils or shellack.

None of it's a 100% and at times I will have to use a cotton face mask. But if I can avoid looking like a space moon walker, I will do it.
WmZiggy
williamz@aol.com

"... and it was after long searching that I found the carpenter's chest, which was indeed a very useful prize to me, and much more valuable than a ship loading of gold." Daniel Defoe, Robinson Crusoe, 1719
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

dgale wrote:$375 for a face shield and ear muffs…am I missing something? That seems wacky expensive.

It also has air filtration.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

[quote="dgale"]$375 for a face shield and ear muffs&#8230]
Though I do not disagree that it is pricey, it's a safety device. What you may not see and may not know is the level of air filtration is significant. With a constant positive air flow and a nearly sealed face area (an elastic cloth piece comes from the bottom of the shield to fit under the chin), breathing potentially toxic dust is nearly eliminated. For those who are allergic to walnut or other species, this allows a safer (though not fool proof) method, to turn, cut, sand, etc. Even for those not necessarily allergic but wanting great protection, this is an alternative to half masks and face shields. Personally I have a nice face shield, half masks (cartridges for particulate and toxic gases) and ear plugs and muffs from the shooting range.

We allocate money for those things that help us enjoy woodworking and other fun things in life. For those that would not be able to enjoy woodworking without such protection as the Trend, this is a viable, though not perfect solution. My friend Jerry, is allergic to a number of species of wood dust. His allergies were caused by decades of exposure without protection. He is also allergic to some of the chemicals in oil based finishes, so he uses long cuff latex-free gloves and heavy long sleeve shirts when finishing. I've kiddingly said that he could have one of my old hazmat suits! :eek: He has projects sold years ago that are incredible in their design and intricacy. Now retired, if it were not for the Trend or something similar (he used a sand blasting hood and air supply for a while), he could never again enjoy creating with wood.

So, yes it is expensive and maybe even "wacky" expensive :p , but for some it is a small price to pay. Would I buy one to replace what I have? Maybe, but probably not. I'd rather spend my "wacky" funds on other woodworking toys.

Be well,
Ben
rcplaneguy
Platinum Member

Post by rcplaneguy »

The 3M Versaflo system is very nice. Expensive. I'm getting much more serious about dust control in my shop. Plus I'm going to be painting a couple of cars.
http://youtu.be/mhKrtj7QJSI

3M Versaflo Heavy Industry PAPR Kit TR-300-HIK

http://amzn.com/B007PB4C38
John