Old shopsmith hand made grinding guard

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rmojo
Gold Member

Post by rmojo »

I meant for the wood chip collection or buffing
easterngray
Platinum Member

Post by easterngray »

Here's one I made few years back. Tempered hardboard, scraps of quarter-sawn sycamore and some aluminum flashing. I use it all the time.

1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
WmZiggy
Gold Member

Post by WmZiggy »

hb2 wrote: Buy a reputable grinder and be done with it.
Powertools for woodworking definitely has it wrong promoting such a design.
Frank
I will put my 2 cents in here. I don't use high speed grinding wheels any longer. Since I use and have lots of planes, lathe and woodworking chisels too, I have gone to slow moving water immersed grinding wheels and machines. I have several: A Prairie Wet Grindstone Model G7-V]http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-Wet- ... Kit/T10010[/url] )

With these tools at their slow speed you are not standing in front of a potential weapon. You cannot take the temper out of your steel, and with their attachments you can get professional results or proper cutting angles. I would add another plus. All the dust goes into the water. I put a magnet in the tray on the Grizzly and it collects all the iron filings for later flushing. When using high speed dry wheels, carbide dust is a health hazard and one should always wear a mask - you don't want the stuff in your lungs. With a water wheel you don't have to worry about it. And by slow moving I mean 110 rpm on the Grizzly, about the same on my others.

I touch up my edge tools with water and diamond stones. I will never go back to dry stones on SS or any other motor.
WmZiggy
williamz@aol.com

"... and it was after long searching that I found the carpenter's chest, which was indeed a very useful prize to me, and much more valuable than a ship loading of gold." Daniel Defoe, Robinson Crusoe, 1719
WmZiggy
Gold Member

Post by WmZiggy »

I found out that the Prairie Wet Grindstone is now considered "vintage". I guess I am now vintage too. Here is a link to this great tool that sold me on wet grind.

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/ ... px?id=1664
WmZiggy
williamz@aol.com

"... and it was after long searching that I found the carpenter's chest, which was indeed a very useful prize to me, and much more valuable than a ship loading of gold." Daniel Defoe, Robinson Crusoe, 1719