Power Pro upgrade

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dgreen810
Gold Member

Post by dgreen810 »

I am more or less tool poor. I own the SS together with a Delta floor standing drill press, a DeWalt radial arm saw, A Tormek 2000 wet grinder, Delta belt sander, Shopsmith Band saw, Jointer, scroll saw, Bosch and Porter Cable routers, Porter Cable biscuit jointer, Foredom and on and on.

I just thought the speed reducer could go since I have used it one time about 15 years ago to make a big bowl it's been in its original box taking up space for it seems like forever.

The "Goldie Mark V" is in excellent condition other than the decals.

Don G
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dgreen810 wrote: . . .
The "Goldie Mark V" is in excellent condition other than the decals.

Don G
It only had one 'decal', And there is a solution for that somewhere on here courtesy of MickyD and another member.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dgreen810
Gold Member

Post by dgreen810 »

You are correct only one decal by the switch.

If anyone is interested you can see three or four pictures in the Shopsmith album at http://www.picturetrail.com/smoke810. Feel free to look at any or all the albums.

Also for those that are not aware looking at the pictures at Picturetrail. You can hold your control key down and rotate the wheel on your mouse and make the pictures as large or small as you wish, but remember to put the size back to the original or screen will be too big or small when you exit.

Don G
cooch366
Gold Member

Pic?

Post by cooch366 »

reible wrote:Unless you really need the cash or the space I'd go for keeping all that you have.

Some here have cut a machine into a shorty or mini but I like to have them full size. I have one of mine as a drill press and use the rest of the machine for SPT's storage. Below is a storage set up which helps hold all the goodies. That machine is stationary but still has a set of casters in case it needs to move someday. I'm really happy with how that has worked out.

If you have a SHMBO to worry about then put an ad and try to sell it for $2500. OH darn it didn't sell, I guess I have to keep it or try to sell it later....

Ed

Ed, can you post a picture of the SPT storage?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dgreen810 wrote:You are correct only one decal by the switch.

If anyone is interested you can see three or four pictures in the Shopsmith album at www.picturetrail.com/smoke810. Feel free to look at any or all the albums.

Also for those that are not aware looking at the pictures at Picturetrail. You can hold your control key down and rotate the wheel on your mouse and make the pictures as large or small as you wish, but remember to put the size back to the original or screen will be too big or small when you exit.

Don G
Nice!

A Goldie with a 510 upgrade. I would definitely go with it for the PP upgrade.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reddog5362
Gold Member

Post by reddog5362 »

Off topic here.

Don love that Stevens. First rifle I ever shot was a Stevens Favorite. First I owned was a Visible loader. Great little guns.
dgreen810
Gold Member

Post by dgreen810 »

JPG
Just noticed the serial number of your "Goldie". Mine is 377151, 274 apart!

Bought mine at Montgomery Ward in Oklahoma City after it was used at a Shopsmith demonstration. Still have the receipt here somewhere.

Also I am not sure exactly when I bought the second headstock, it has a switch exactly like the "Goldie". I think it was about 1998 or so. I have the receipt here somewhere.

Edit: I stated I bought this unit in 1963. Wrong, just looked at the receipt, bought 1-22-1966, price was $190.55 delivered to my home. Those were the good ole days!

Don G
dgreen810
Gold Member

Post by dgreen810 »

I have the Power Pro on order but have not received it yet. I have a question that has been on my mind since the order was placed.

After looking at the SS video two or three times I fail to see how there is a means to tighten the belt between the motor pulley and the idler. Also is the idler on a cam so the belt from it to the main shaft can be adjusted?

It's obvious it works, but something escapes me!! until I get my hands on it.

Don G
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dgreen810 wrote:I have the Power Pro on order but have not received it yet. I have a question that has been on my mind since the order was placed.

After looking at the SS video two or three times I fail to see how there is a means to tighten the belt between the motor pulley and the idler. Also is the idler on a cam so the belt from it to the main shaft can be adjusted?

It's obvious it works, but something escapes me!! until I get my hands on it.

Don G

Same method as the 'original. Eccentric on the idler shaft.

As the eccentric is rotated, the belt tensions oppose each other.(sorta]accurate[/B]' description.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

dgreen810
Gold Member

Post by dgreen810 »

JPG

I thought that was the case. But! As time goes by I see how wear on the belt from the idler to the main shaft can be adjusted, but any wear on the motor belt would be in trouble unless maybe the screw holes for the motor mount could be "Slotted" slightly to allow the motor to be shifted slightly?

Don G