Post Pictures of Your Shop

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

WmZiggy
Gold Member

Post Pictures of Your Shop

Post by WmZiggy »

In the Bird House tread several people asked to see pictures of my shop. I like to look at other people's shops too, so I decided to start a new thread. I invite all to post pics of their shops. I know this request made me do some Spring cleaning, not a bad thing!:D

[ATTACH]20909[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]20910[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]20911[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]20912[/ATTACH]

Page 1 [Top Left to Right]

Left side of wall tool box with Stanley combination planes - #45, 46, 55 and hinge routing plane. Bottom shelf contains an assortment of Stanley rabbet, shoulder, miter, tongue and groove planes.

Side view of wall tool box with transition, smoothing, miter, and scraper planes showing.

Transition planes with bit brace, scraper, smooth, and Stanley 113 circle plane showing.

Sets of chisels to include, carving, Japanese dovetail, and mortise chisels.

Delta lathe geared with compound slide rest for light metal/plastic work.

Oval: View of shop through window.

Page 2 [Top Left to Right]

Shopsmith 500 ‘82’ and hardware corner of shop. Machinist chests on left contain machinists tool for use on the lathe. Chest on the right contains chairmaking planes and spoke shaves.

Windsor sidearm chair on workbench

Assortment of block, side rabbet, rabbet, planes and beading tools. Drawers contain sets of blades for plow planes.

Delta 11” Bandsaw

Grizzly woodshaper

Delta radial arm drill press

Oval: Marking gages, wood rasps above machinest chest filled with measuring gages.

Page 3 [Top Left to Right]

Drill press with 18th – 20th C. hand planes on wall. Bottom shelf contains all from #2 to #8 metal planes, including scrub planes. Middles shelf contains wood compass, panel raising, dado, and plow planes. Top shelf moulding planes.

Delta miter saw

Ryobi Contractors saw

Work bench with Windsor chair in progress
Sharpening bench with assorted water cooled grinding wheels.

Oval: Craftsman, 1962 “Best” Radial Arm Saw fitted with laser line and Forrest blade.

Page 4 [Top Left to Right]

Shopsmith 500 ‘78’ with Ryobi radial arm saw configured to over arm router.
Attachments
Wood Shop Collage p.1.jpg
Wood Shop Collage p.1.jpg (89.42 KiB) Viewed 3173 times
Wood Shop Collage p.2.jpg
Wood Shop Collage p.2.jpg (92.96 KiB) Viewed 3178 times
Wood Shop Collage p.3.jpg
Wood Shop Collage p.3.jpg (92.25 KiB) Viewed 3177 times
Wood Shop Collage p.4.jpg
Wood Shop Collage p.4.jpg (58.96 KiB) Viewed 3170 times
WmZiggy
williamz@aol.com

"... and it was after long searching that I found the carpenter's chest, which was indeed a very useful prize to me, and much more valuable than a ship loading of gold." Daniel Defoe, Robinson Crusoe, 1719
letterk
Gold Member

Post by letterk »

Wow, quite the setup. :) Wish my workshop was organized, but sharing a garage with the cars and outdoor stuff has made it tight. Getting the itch to clean and organize and hopefully to be able to use everything I own.
reddog5362
Gold Member

Post by reddog5362 »

Looks great! I Like the look of all the wood in the shop and the hand tools in their tills. I guess I need to finish up the project on my bench and share my half a garage shop.
WmZiggy
Gold Member

Post by WmZiggy »

Thirty years ago when I built the shop I used lowest cost pine. It has become a nice pumpkin color over the years. It was a happy accident of choice.
WmZiggy
williamz@aol.com

"... and it was after long searching that I found the carpenter's chest, which was indeed a very useful prize to me, and much more valuable than a ship loading of gold." Daniel Defoe, Robinson Crusoe, 1719
easterngray
Platinum Member

Post by easterngray »

1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
reddog5362
Gold Member

Post by reddog5362 »

You guys are making me jealous/ashamed/inspired. I need to sell my wife on dedicated shop space.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

reddog5362 wrote:You guys are making me jealous/ashamed/inspired. I need to sell my wife on dedicated shop space.
'Selling her' will be the difficult part. Who's gonna buy?:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I think that my wife would still bring a pretty penny from a sophisticated, mature buyer. :) The daughters would undoubtedly fetch even more. :cool: But none of them are for sale. Except maybe for my for 13 year old boy, if you catch me at just the right time. :mad:

As my Dad often enjoyed saying of my brother and me: "I wouldn't take a million dollars for either of them. Or you pay a nickel for another one". :rolleyes:
STB
Gold Member

Work in progress

Post by STB »

I was hoping some of the regular posters would respond with pictures of there workspace. I am curious to see how others deal with limited space and budget. Maybe this has been done several times in the past.
Anyhow these are pictures of my workspace. The first picture is of the space available in 11/12/11 1/4th of a 1 1/2 car garage
[ATTACH]20928[/ATTACH]
This just didn't work it caused to much tension with SWMBO. Because of limited budget, space and building codes my choice was a metal 12' x 24' Arrow storage shed. The same shed sold at any big box store. After an online search I found a dealer that was several hundred $ less. It was delivered in 4 200lb boxes. The youtube video showed it being built in a weekend. It took me a month. This is a picture of it after construction.
[ATTACH]20929[/ATTACH]
This was completed the spring of 2012. We are snowbirds so fast forward to the winter of 2012-13. This is what the work in progress looks like today. A couple of notes almost everything in the pictures including the wall lining electrical and even paint were purchased locally at garage sales or from CL. Nothing is new. One exception is the table saw. It was purchased new by my father circa 1952.
[ATTACH]20930[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]20931[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]20932[/ATTACH]
Attachments
ss projects 004 (800x563).jpg
ss projects 004 (800x563).jpg (414.14 KiB) Viewed 3056 times
019 (800x574).jpg
019 (800x574).jpg (405.02 KiB) Viewed 3065 times
IMG_0569 (800x600).jpg
IMG_0569 (800x600).jpg (461.73 KiB) Viewed 3056 times
IMG_0570 (800x590).jpg
IMG_0570 (800x590).jpg (460.06 KiB) Viewed 3057 times
IMG_0571 (800x599).jpg
IMG_0571 (800x599).jpg (431.61 KiB) Viewed 3042 times
Glenn
I create problem solving challenges and opportunities for design modification, not mistakes.

SS 520 born 04/16/03, Power Station mounted Band saw , Scroll saw, Jointer, Belt sander, Overarm router, dedicated Mark V drill press, SS Maxi-clamp system, Shopsmith woodworking bench
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

Stumpbuster, when I was planning out my current shop, I had considered doing what you did and use a metal building. I really like what you've done with yours. I looked at the Arrow brand buildings like you have as well as the "carport" structure things you see all over the place. I eventually went with what I have now for 2 reasons: 1) We're not staying at our present location forever (next door to my in-laws! :eek: :eek: )and 2) my dad had some trees cut on his land, and had a neighbor with a sawmill make boards and gave them to me for Christmas. I also got all the tin and insulation from him. And another friend gave me all the wall paneling. So I got a lot of the building materials for free.

I can certainly believe assembling the 12x24 Arrow building took a month! When we first moved, I bought an 8x10 Arrow building just for storage and that took a *full* weekend to assemble.

I documented building my shop in this thread. The last page has relatively current pictures. There are a few things I'd do differently if I could go back and do it again, but overall I'm very happy with it. When I pick up my Sawsmith RAS, and then figure out how to incorporate it into the shop, I'll take some updated pictures.
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration