Social Security Funds

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

I have to contest one thing that Derek said. Theft is theft and there is no moral justification for it. It doesn't matter how much money someone has and if they're not using it to your satisfaction. To take it from them against their will, even to do "good" things with it, is theft and immoral. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Property rights is one of the most fundamental rights along with life and liberty. To take someone's property, whether physical property or money, is a violation of that fundamental right. So you don't like how they are spending their money? Tough. Get over it. Taking it from them still makes you a thief.
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
joshh
Platinum Member

Post by joshh »

derekdarling wrote:It is also the gift of our culture that allows for the creation and concentration of wealth. Wealthy people are dependant on the social, economic and legal structures that allowed for the concentraiton of that wealth.
Obama said exactly the same thing and he was crucified for it. He told people that they didn't build the infrastructure (roads, bridges, educating the workforce, etc) that allows their business to exist in the first place. Instead talking heads turned it into, " oh my god, he said I didn't build my own business, robble robble."
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

dusty wrote:This year, because "everyone" came together as a family, harvest occurred in one day.

Does that happen today. Yes, probably but on a much smaller scale and much less frequently. The family is just much too busy and much too involved to have time.

I think about a different scenario. It doesn't happen so much today because of the inheritance tax (death tax). Offspring just cannot pay all that tax from the inheritance and survive on the farm/ranch. Therefore sold to corporate farming.

The only viable option at least to Western ranching is for the present owner to enroll in some type of a perpetual "Conservation Easement".
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
billmeyer
Gold Member

SS

Post by billmeyer »

Interesting thread! I also disagree with Derek. If they take the rest of the US, they have to take Kansas too! No sense in leaving us out!

I have heard for years that Social Security could be funded if they remove the earnings cap for it like is done with Medicare. I think that the current limit of earnings is $113.000 or so. If that is removed or raised, it would certainly add more funds to SS. What does the forum think of this idea? I have been curious about it for some time. Of course, that will never affect my check, as I will never reach that high of an income.

Bill
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

billmeyer wrote:Interesting thread! I also disagree with Derek. If they take the rest of the US, they have to take Kansas too! No sense in leaving us out!

I have heard for years that Social Security could be funded if they remove the earnings cap for it like is done with Medicare. I think that the current limit of earnings is $113.000 or so. If that is removed or raised, it would certainly add more funds to SS. What does the forum think of this idea? I have been curious about it for some time. Of course, that will never affect my check, as I will never reach that high of an income.

Bill
I haven't given it much thought I guess because I never reached the cap myself and because I didn't realize that such a large part of this countries populus does.

I'd have to know why there is a cap. If it is there just to shield those who don't need to be shielded (the wealthy) then I would support its demise.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

Although there were times in the past where I had reached the cap, I had already adjusted to my net pay without the bonus. Therefore I wouldn't have missed it had there been no cap. I think it's a good idea, especially since I don't hit the cap anymore :D
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

billmeyer wrote:Interesting thread! I also disagree with Derek. If they take the rest of the US, they have to take Kansas too! No sense in leaving us out!

Bill

The caps were put in when everyone though like you, I don't have to pay it so let's raise it. When income taxes were first put in <<5% of the people made enough to pay it today everyone pays it. What more people forget is inflation, in a few years the poverty level will be $113,000. You are falling into the trap the government set for you, just like the last fiscal cliff deal when they said on the top 1% would pay more taxes, everyone who gets a paycheck or owns a business took home less money last week. If you don't believe me compare you last check in December with you first check for 2013.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

dusty wrote:
I'd have to know why there is a cap. If it is there just to shield those who don't need to be shielded (the wealthy) then I would support its demise.

Because there is a CAP on the amount you get paid, if I am Bill Gates or Warren Buffet I get the same amount in Social Security and someone making less than $100K while working. Since it is not supposed to be a gift from the government but something I paid for like an insurance policy they limit the collection to reflect the limited payout. Another thing most people don't understand.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

paulmcohen wrote:Because there is a CAP on the amount you get paid, if I am Bill Gates or Warren Buffet I get the same amount in Social Security and someone making less than $100K while working. Since it is not supposed to be a gift from the government but something I paid for like an insurance policy they limit the collection to reflect the limited payout. Another thing most people don't understand.
I don't think Bill and Warren give much thought to how that cap effects them.

With regard to the decrease in take home pay last month, there was no tax increase that caused that. That was simply the point at which a "tax holiday" ended. Maybe you didn't know that:rolleyes:. I don't recall any complaints two years ago when the "tax holiday" came into play and we all gone 2% more in our "monthly allotment" from the Government.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Getting back to the original rant, I just had to post this link. She says what she feels much better than could I.

[ATTACH]19950[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Alan Simpson wrote.doc
(55 KiB) Downloaded 667 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty