Owners of the new Kindle Fire HD

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

cincinnati
Platinum Member

Owners of the new Kindle Fire HD

Post by cincinnati »

How well does it play YouTube videos?
Amazon says it will but a lot of reviews say it does not or not very well.
I am on the fence on what 7" tablet to buy. Amazon because it's Amazon but what good a tablet if it does not play youtube?

Google Nexus 7 is my next choice.
"Prove to all the world Metal rules the land"
-Judas Priest, Heavy Duty.
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

I to have been wanting a 7" tablet. Will be waiting to see what reviews are given here. You never know about all the reviews on the web sites.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

Since I'm getting along in age, I'll be looking for a 10 inch screen, unless one of my 14.1 inch laptops will work. 7 inches is no longer feasable.

I wore glasses most of my life, but the advances of age has neutralized my nearsightedness, and I don't need glasses any more. BUT, I DO need longer arms! :D

steve
ss50th
Gold Member

Post by ss50th »

joedw00 wrote:I to have been wanting a 7" tablet. Will be waiting to see what reviews are given here. You never know about all the reviews on the web sites.
You're absolutely right about reviews. When the original Kindle was introduced there were a lot of negative comments. It turned out most were from highly technical individuals regarding architecture and that over 90% of the criticisms were from those who had never purchased one.
I've spent a little time looking into all the new ones and was having trouble making a decision. However, Saturday night the problem was solved when I received for my birthday an Apple $500 gift certificate from my two daughters to buy a new mini. May not be the best, but the price will be right.
Mixed feelings is watching your mother in law driving off a cliff in your new Rolls Royce. :) :(

Richard
jb41339
Gold Member

Post by jb41339 »

cincinnati wrote:How well does it play YouTube videos?
Amazon says it will but a lot of reviews say it does not or not very well.
I am on the fence on what 7" tablet to buy. Amazon because it's Amazon but what good a tablet if it does not play youtube?

Google Nexus 7 is my next choice.
I own the Kindle Fire HD and, yes, it plays YouTube videos great! The screen is clear as a bell! Buying this tablet has been one of my smartest decisions in a long time. I do recommend it.

Jim in Tucson, Arizona
GO BUCKEYES!!
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

jb41339 wrote:I own the Kindle Fire HD and, yes, it plays YouTube videos great! The screen is clear as a bell! Buying this tablet has been one of my smartest decisions in a long time. I do recommend it.

Jim in Tucson, Arizona

Thanks,

Did you have to do anything special to get the Kindle to play the video's? Wonder why all the negative reviews about Kindle and Youtube.
jb41339
Gold Member

Post by jb41339 »

cincinnati wrote:Thanks,

Did you have to do anything special to get the Kindle to play the video's? Wonder why all the negative reviews about Kindle and Youtube.
No, I don't do anything special to get the Kindle Fire HD to play videos. Just input http://www.utube.com and it comes up! By the way, are you aware that this tablet only works with WI-FI? So, in order to get on the internet, you must be in a WI-FI area.

I can't figure why there's any negative reviews about this tablet. Perhaps it's because you need WI-FI to use internet, perhaps because Apple people don't like competition, perhaps because the pricing is extremely fair and not bloated as an Apple product is or perhaps because some people just don't like Amazon.com.

Any other questions, I would be happy to answer them for you if I can. So, don't hesitate to ask.

Jim in Tucson, Arizona
GO BUCKEYES!!
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

jb41339 wrote:No, I don't do anything special to get the Kindle Fire HD to play videos. Just input http://www.utube.com and it comes up! By the way, are you aware that this tablet only works with WI-FI? So, in order to get on the internet, you must be in a WI-FI area.

I can't figure why there's any negative reviews about this tablet. Perhaps it's because you need WI-FI to use internet, perhaps because Apple people don't like competition, perhaps because the pricing is extremely fair and not bloated as an Apple product is or perhaps because some people just don't like Amazon.com.

Any other questions, I would be happy to answer them for you if I can. So, don't hesitate to ask.

Jim in Tucson, Arizona
Thanks for the info. I looked at one at Office Depot and the sound was fantastic. The tablet was also very responsive.
Have you found it to be limited in any way what you can do with it?
Also have my eye on the Google Nexus 7. GPS , talking to it and answering you is just way too cool.
Kinda holding off to make a purchase till next week. See if any deals pop up like free downloads or gift card. Don't think you'll see any price deals. $199 is rock bottom price to begin with.
flashbacpt
Gold Member

Owners of the New Kindle Fire HD

Post by flashbacpt »

I purchased the first Kindle Fire when they came out. I am very satisfied with the Kindle Fire. Because I am an avid reader, I take my Kindle everywhere.

There is something else that you may or may not be aware of.... Amazon offers a "Prime Membership" which gives you free two day shipping on most items that they sell, allows you some cloud storage for your device, and access to their free "Lenders Library", where you can choose to download a free book each month. Also, they have a "free app" everyday, although most are games, but every now and then, you can get something else.

Amazon also works closely with the audible book company, Audible (which I am also a member) so you have easy access to all your audible books from Audible.

Again, as long as you have a Wifi connection, you are good to go on the internet.

John
FlashbacPT
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

And most phones can be used as a wi-fi hotspot so you are good to go as long as you have cell phone access and the hotspot option. I assume you can download the video or book and view it later.
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.