shopsmith jointer & what is it?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

thewriteturn
Silver Member

shopsmith jointer & what is it?

Post by thewriteturn »

Bought a 10ER at a estate sale this weekend and these came with it. I know the first is a jointer, but is it a SS jointer? Year? The second I'm not sure what it is or if it goes with the 10ER, it's about 6 inch tall with threads most of the way. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Just a suggestion, but what about having a forum just related to older SS tools and the up keep of all SS?

Paul
Attachments
jointer1a.jpg
jointer1a.jpg (163.46 KiB) Viewed 6973 times
whatisit1.jpg
whatisit1.jpg (157.75 KiB) Viewed 6969 times
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

The first thingy is definitely a jointer, but definitely not a Shopsmith jointer.

The second thingy is, in my opinion, the upper portion of a floor jack -- the sort of jack you put under the joists of a sagging floor section in an older home to keep it from sagging further. I sincerely doubt that it was a Shopsmith Floor Jack -- unless the old Magna Engineering folks had a subdivision I don't know about.

With all good wishes,
thewriteturn
Silver Member

Serial#

Post by thewriteturn »

Thanks Nick for the info, had a feeling the jointer was not a SS. and now that you mention it the screw thingy does look like part of a floor jack. Must have been mistakenly put in with the SS parts. A couple more questions, the serial# on the ER looks like ER20234 and when I looked it up it says it was made around "73". I thought ER's were older than that? Also the headstock seems to be "frozen" on the way tubes, any suggestions on freeing it up? Thanks!

Paul
We get old to soon & smart to late.;)
mranum
Gold Member

Post by mranum »

thewriteturn wrote:Thanks Nick for the info, had a feeling the jointer was not a SS. and now that you mention it the screw thingy does look like part of a floor jack. Must have been mistakenly put in with the SS parts. A couple more questions, the serial# on the ER looks like ER20234 and when I looked it up it says it was made around "73". I thought ER's were older than that? Also the headstock seems to be "frozen" on the way tubes, any suggestions on freeing it up? Thanks!

Paul

The ER's I believe were discontinued in '53 or '54 but with a number that low I would suspect closer to '49 or '50. If memory serves I traced mine back to about '51 and mine has a # in the 44000 range. As for freeing up the head, get some "PB Blaster" its an awesome penetrating oil. Also the earlier ER's had a 2 piece wedge lock that were prone to stick as well. Unscrew the lock handle and take out the wedge to make sure its free. If you look on the back of the headstock there will be 1 of 2 hole sizes. The 2 piece wedge has a hole in the casting large enough for that wedge to fit through( 3/4" ? ), later they went to a single wedge lock and that style has a small hole like 1/4" or 5/16". I have 2, one of each style, although the 2 piece one I haven't had to take apart yet but I will soon to restore.

There is a great Yahoo user group that deals strictly with the 10E & 10ER. Do a search for it, it has like 1500 members so its easy to find.