Okay, I know I have already posted too much on this topic, but maybe just one more. I did watch some of this DIY install video that he posted and had a few observations.
1. If you watch during the first few seconds, you can see "YOUR TITLE HERE" scroll up underneath his actual title. Guess he forgot to remove that in post production.
2. I still like that the newer Striatech controls have an Analog knob for adjusting the speed. I know it is probably being sampled and converted to digital behind it, but the fact that you can fine tune speed with an actual knob just appeals to me from a UI standpoint.
3. This is the first video where I have seen the controls actually used on this newer Striatech box. I like how he can push buttons, e.g. speed presets and just hit ON. Correct me if I am wrong, but don't you also have a "confirm" step that is needed on the PowerPro? I know they want safety, but these UI things always irk me like the legal statement approval on a GPS in a car, etc. I hate redundant steps.
4. The function button cycling looks nice for quickly adjusting from a preset speed, i.e. pressing more than once ups the speed for you.
5. I like the nice big LCD screen that is easy to read.
I know a lot of things that I like are just items that Striatech has continued to improve on since they sold the original system to Shopsmith. In one sense, it is not Shopsmith's fault that the PowerPro is starting to look dated now in comparison because it has been unchanged now for what 8 years? They have to sell a platform and by keeping the PowerPro constant they have a consistent user experience which can be a plus.
I have already spent too much money on tools already this year, so I can't justify a PowerPro being unemployed right now. I hope to get into woodturning more in the future, so I may have to finally break down and buy a PowerPro for it on the low speed end. Until then, please indulge my musings about what I wish Shopsmith would do/add to the PowerPro…unfortunately, I don't see them changing anything anytime soon. I mean if they can't update more than the cover on a book, how are they going to release PowerPro Rev2?