phone  (937) 890-5197

Shopsmith Forums

%nbsp;

13 posts 1 2

Re: Jointer

#273183 by JPG » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:35 pm

Spooner wrote:Wow Russ that did clean up nice. And that fence is close to the current condition of my old Jointer. Now that I have the Mark V and some other SPT's I have a lot of other projects I have in mind before the restore. LOL...

Don't forget electrolysis and evaporust are your friend.

---

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10E(SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

#273193 by Spooner » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:29 am

Holy crap I forgot all about electrolysis. That would clean it up nicely for sure. Now I have never heard of evaporust is that a chemical? I've been putzing around with a bottle of Permatex Rust Dissolver Gel and that seems to work well. Well enough anyway.

#273208 by JPG » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:26 pm

Evaporust is a liquid great for submerging small parts. Auto supply store may have it. Gallons are more cost effective. A bit pricey though. It works by chelation and does not attack the base(steel.iron) metal unlike acid base gels.

There is a new brand out but I am failing a memory test re it's moniker. IIRC HD carries it.

---

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10E(SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange