phone  (937) 890-5197

Shopsmith Forums

%nbsp;

23 posts 1 2 3

Festool RO 90 FEQ

#272236 by algale » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:41 pm

I got this sander https://www.festoolusa.com/products/san ... q-plus-usa a month ago and have used it to strip and refinish the gunnels on the Slow Boat and to refinish an outdoor teak furniture suite. I already owned the Festool random orbit sander ETS 125 but that's strictly a finish sander and doesn't have much oomph.

This tool, however, has a lot of oomph!! It comes both with the 90mm round pad AND the delta shaped detail/corner sanding pad. Changeover between pads is tool-less. With both rotex and random orbit modes for the the round pad and the delta sander, it's like having three tools in one: a grinder, a finish sander and a detail sander! And dust collection is phenomenal even using a wet/dry vac Dust Deputy combo.

---

Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Festool RO 90 FEQ

#272237 by RFGuy » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:51 pm

Alan,

Thanks. Good to know. I have only had my RO150 for a short time now, but I love it. The Rotex mode is really powerful. Overall it is well balanced so vibration is minimized making for a comfortable sanding experience. I wasn't sure about some of their other sanders (too many choices IMHO), so your feedback on the ETS is most welcome. I have an older Porter Cable profile/detail, corner sander that works well but it is large and has a good bit of vibration. An RO90 would be a good replacement for it when I can spring for one.

---

📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Festool RO 90 FEQ

#272241 by reible » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:59 pm

I was looking forward to getting the RO90 for all most a year. I too got the 125 first and while I was glad I did I had hoped to spring for the 90 shortly afterwards..... but then the situation changed and I had to wait. The wait was over and I got to use it the first time. It was not love at first use.

First let me say it was me not the sander. First I forgot to change the dust collector setting and that only took me a short while to realize, but it still seemed to be out of control. I though what have I just spent all this money on??

Well I was trying to use it with one hand and in RO mode that is pretty hard to control. I did soon learn that another hand on the cord and hose tames it down and let you control it far better then fighting it in one hand. Lesson learned!

I have added the hard pad which I like for sanding narrow things without rounding edges, haven't done much with it yet but so far I'm seeing that as a must have addition.

It was a hard decision between the 90 and the 125 but for me I think the 90 was the right one. The 125 would have been nice since it would share sandpaper with my other sander and who knows some day I might add that but for now I super happy with what I have.

Ed

---

{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Festool RO 90 FEQ

#272257 by algale » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:57 am

reible wrote:I was looking forward to getting the RO90 for all most a year. I too got the 125 first and while I was glad I did I had hoped to spring for the 90 shortly afterwards..... but then the situation changed and I had to wait. The wait was over and I got to use it the first time. It was not love at first use.

First let me say it was me not the sander. First I forgot to change the dust collector setting and that only took me a short while to realize, but it still seemed to be out of control. I though what have I just spent all this money on??

Well I was trying to use it with one hand and in RO mode that is pretty hard to control. I did soon learn that another hand on the cord and hose tames it down and let you control it far better then fighting it in one hand. Lesson learned!

I have added the hard pad which I like for sanding narrow things without rounding edges, haven't done much with it yet but so far I'm seeing that as a must have addition.

It was a hard decision between the 90 and the 125 but for me I think the 90 was the right one. The 125 would have been nice since it would share sandpaper with my other sander and who knows some day I might add that but for now I super happy with what I have.

Ed

I agree that in RO mode you absolutely do need to use two hands and I agree it is best to have one hand on the hose, which gives you a lot of leverage to control the sander.

I'm not sure about what you are referring to as the "dust collector setting" -- perhaps that's a setting on the Festool dust extractor (which I don't yet own).

I also debated getting the big brother RO 125 to share sanding pads with my ETS 125. The thing that sold me on the RO 90 FEQ was the delta/corner sander attachment.

I'm pretty thrilled with the capabilities of this sander and I'm considering selling the ETS 125.

---

Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Festool RO 90 FEQ

#272259 by reible » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:55 am

Yes the festool dust collectors have variable amounts of flow. If you have it set to full on it leaves marks in the form of deeper scratches on the wood from the pull of the vacuum. You can actually lift smaller work pieces it pulls so hard.

For those that haven't learned the lingo that festool uses the 90 is 90 mm or about 3-1/2", the 125 and 150 are 5" and 6".

I wouldn't be to quick to part with the larger sander. If you start working on larger projects the 125 is a lot faster then the 90 and likewise a 150 would be even faster. The 90 is the master of smaller projects and if that is all you do then by all means part with the 125 but as you do larger projects I think having at least the 125 will be handy.

Ed

---

{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Festool RO 90 FEQ

#272393 by RFGuy » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:30 pm

Just wondering if you guys have seen the edge sanding attachment for the ETS 125 (see video below from Festool UK)? I hear rumors that it could come to the US market. It will be interesting if it does and whether they decide to make a similar attachment for any of their other sanders or not.

---

📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Festool RO 90 FEQ

#272395 by algale » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:54 pm

RFGuy wrote:Just wondering if you guys have seen the edge sanding attachment for the ETS 125 (see video below from Festool UK)? I hear rumors that it could come to the US market. It will be interesting if it does and whether they decide to make a similar attachment for any of their other sanders or not.



That's a new one on me!

---

Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Festool RO 90 FEQ

#272399 by reible » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:06 pm

From the USA site:

Available from September
Edge Sanding Guide AH-ES-ETS/ETSC
Item number 205316
for ETS 125 REQ, ETSC 125

$99.00

Ed

---

{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Festool RO 90 FEQ

#272404 by sehast » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:08 am

Festool really knows how to get my money. I am going to have to have one of these.

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Festool RO 90 FEQ

#272407 by RFGuy » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:39 am

sehast wrote:Festool really knows how to get my money. I am going to have to have one of these.

I know how you feel. I was hesitant to start purchasing from them, but once you do it is hard to stop. I really appreciate using high quality tools, especially one that have superb dust collection or save me time. Continuing to innovate and adding new attachments like this shows they really support their customers well.

---

📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 126 guests

Board indexDelete all board cookies

Welcome to Shopsmith. Please fill in this form and we'll send you more information and special offers for the Shopsmith MARK 7 and other woodworking topics.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required