Back at the shop move...

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

mrhart wrote:Being an HVAC guy, I see the supply and return ducting, are you going to tap off those for heat or did you come up with a separate source?

The new wall is on the west side. The east wall (outside wall) has two heat outlets (currently capped) that I can use if needed. So far my only heat problem is getting the shop less hot. The wood furnace puts out a lot of radiant heat and I will pipe all of its hot air output out of the shop. Next summer I want to build a new chimney and move it completely out of the shop. At that point I may want to open those two heat outlets or at least one of them.

If anyone wonders why we use a wood furnace... This is a very large spread out house with a lot of glass. Our "T" shaped living room is 1,100 sq. ft. The last year we used the gas furnace the heat bill for January was over $1000... Even buying all of our wood (I'm getting lazy) I will not spend that much for heating the entire winter. More like $700 to $800 for the winter.
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
mrhart
Platinum Member

Post by mrhart »

robinson46176 wrote:The new wall is on the west side. The east wall (outside wall) has two heat outlets (currently capped) that I can use if needed. So far my only heat problem is getting the shop less hot. The wood furnace puts out a lot of radiant heat and I will pipe all of its hot air output out of the shop. Next summer I want to build a new chimney and move it completely out of the shop. At that point I may want to open those two heat outlets or at least one of them.

If anyone wonders why we use a wood furnace... This is a very large spread out house with a lot of glass. Our "T" shaped living room is 1,100 sq. ft. The last year we used the gas furnace the heat bill for January was over $1000... Even buying all of our wood (I'm getting lazy) I will not spend that much for heating the entire winter. More like $700 to $800 for the winter.

By wood furnace, do mean wood stove? And by gas, propane or natural? Take pics of these if you get time.
R Hart
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mrhart wrote:By wood furnace, do mean wood stove? And by gas, propane or natural? Take pics of these if you get time.
Furnace as in the last pix posted.

Rural, so I would bet Propane.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

[quote="JPG40504"]Furnace as in the last pix posted.

Rural, so I would bet Propane.[/QUOT]

Half right... :)
Wood furnace, ducted hot air. about 120,000 BTU. It serves us well. I have about 20 acres of woods but I don't cut much these days. We have a guy that will bring us a load of very good seasoned stuff and stacks it very carefully for $60. His tightly stacked rick always measures well over 4' x 8'. A load will normally last us about 9-10 days depending on the weather. Not bad considering that we are heating about 4,000 sq. ft. and we don't like to get cold. Pretty good distribution and a lot of thermal mass is what makes it work.

Pipeline gas. There is a 10" 400 PSI line running along my road fence that was put in especially for the now gone General Electric plant.
It is a tiny line compared to the about 4' high pressure REX line that runs across the country about a mile south of me.
The gas company p!$$ed me off and I told them to pull the meter, we were done... That was about 3 or 4 years ago. :rolleyes:

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

robinson46176 wrote: . . .
The gas company p!$$ed me off . . .

Imagine that!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

robinson46176 wrote:
JPG40504 wrote:Furnace as in the last pix posted.

Rural, so I would bet Propane.[/QUOT]

Half right... :)
Wood furnace, ducted hot air. about 120,000 BTU. It serves us well. I have about 20 acres of woods but I don't cut much these days. We have a guy that will bring us a load of very good seasoned stuff and stacks it very carefully for $60. His tightly stacked rick always measures well over 4' x 8'. A load will normally last us about 9-10 days depending on the weather. Not bad considering that we are heating about 4,000 sq. ft. and we don't like to get cold. Pretty good distribution and a lot of thermal mass is what makes it work.

Pipeline gas. There is a 10" 400 PSI line running along my road fence that was put in especially for the now gone General Electric plant.
It is a tiny line compared to the about 4' high pressure REX line that runs across the country about a mile south of me.
The gas company p!$$ed me off and I told them to pull the meter, we were done... That was about 3 or 4 years ago. :rolleyes:

You should have kept the connection. When I lived in Ohio the gas company was not allowing new customers. A gas connection was worth a kings ransom.
I don't know if that changed or not but I had a house burn down in 1976 and I was able to sell the property for nearly double since it had gas on it.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
mrhart
Platinum Member

Post by mrhart »

So what do you use for air conditioning on the main house?
Natural gas would be better than propane for cost anyhow, at least thats the way the utilities shake out hear.
R Hart
mrhart
Platinum Member

Post by mrhart »

I don't know if that changed or not but I had a house burn down in 1976 and I was able to sell the property for nearly double since it had gas on it.[/quote]

Thats crazy! never heard of such a thing.
R Hart
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

mrhart wrote:I don't know if that changed or not but I had a house burn down in 1976 and I was able to sell the property for nearly double since it had gas on it.

Thats crazy! never heard of such a thing.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't really matter in this case, I intend to die in this house unless they take it away from me for another use (highway, power lines, rail line relocation, big money huge development etc. {all eminent domain stuff}... :( That may all change if my wife wins a $140,000,000 lottery. :D

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

mrhart wrote:So what do you use for air conditioning on the main house?
Natural gas would be better than propane for cost anyhow, at least thats the way the utilities shake out hear.

When I tell people how we do the AC they keep insisting that it cannot possibly work... even though it has been not working quite acceptably for 3 years now... :eek: :rolleyes: :)

--
farmer
Francis Robinson