Back at the shop move...

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

camerio
Platinum Member

Post by camerio »

Are'nt we all (ready for spring) ?
Here in the north, we have about 4 foot of snow and forecast is for more. We calculate that up to March 17th (St-Patrick's Day) we are still in for a few winter storms, but boy do I wish that spring was here already ...
I very much like to read this thread, thanks Farmer for it and anyone who reacts to it.
Camerio
MarkV 520 & Band saw
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

camerio wrote:Are'nt we all (ready for spring) ?
Here in the north, we have about 4 foot of snow and forecast is for more. We calculate that up to March 17th (St-Patrick's Day) we are still in for a few winter storms, but boy do I wish that spring was here already ...
I very much like to read this thread, thanks Farmer for it and anyone who reacts to it.

Now that we have just exited a short cold snap (24° last night) we are supposed to run about 50°+ daily highs with 30° to 40° lows. I can live with that fine. :) As long as the horse water does not need heat and the sunny days out number the gloomy ones I'm good.

I am REALLY enjoying the warm wood shop. I need to spend a lot of puttering time cleaning and refurbishing my tools. Not all but a fair number have suffered light surface rust over the years from sweating as temperatures have yo-yo'd in previous shops. Shiny metal in the basement on the other hand just pretty much stays shiny metal. :cool: The moisture formed by condensation would eventually break down the paste wax on stuff. I need to do a lot of work with the wire wheel and in a few cases some polishing cloth and the buffer. I enjoy doing that and bringing tools back but only once. I used to have all of my planes all shiny but now they look bad again. Not really damaged, they just don't look nice. Now I know that once cleaned they will generally stay that way. I have always remembered how nice the stuff in the school shops stayed and we did almost nothing to protect them.
It is also nice that if I want to do a bit of that kind of clean up it does not matter if it is below 0° or not, I can just walk down there and do it in comfort. If I only want to work a half hour or an hour (TV sucks some evenings) I can knowing that I don't need to spend 2 hours getting the shop warm enough to work in without gloves. :)

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

and here in Houston we have the opposite problem. Only one day so far this winter below 32 degees. I was sweating in the garage just the other day while doing some work. My problem is going to be how to cool the workplace this summer. We had 95 days of over 100 temps last year :( I have an air conditioner that I used to cool my sailboat by running ducting to the hatch that I might be able to rig to use in my garage if I install some plastic sheeting as temporary walls after backing out the wife's car :D
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Well, I finally found out how to get around to moving the rest of my woodshop stuff into the new basement shop. I sold the old one... :eek:
Now we are going nuts getting our now unused house and shop building empty. Not as easy as you might think. :rolleyes:
We sold it to one of our grown daughters (44) after she approached us about buying it. I didn't even know that she was seriously looking at it. They were living in town and wanted to get out in the country.
The rest of the woodshop stuff is the small part of the move. The hard part is all of the tons of misc. "stuff" stored there. We are getting rid of so much crap that 2 auction barns can't keep up with us. :)
I finally cut through the basement wall to get access from the outside for the bigger tools that I had not moved yet. Yesterday I moved my TS-3650 table and two other table saws. Tomorrow I will move my Foley Belsaw planer/molder/ripsaw, my long bed jointer and 3 more Shopsmiths.
I may get this done yet... :D

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

robinson46176 wrote:Well, I finally found out how to get around to moving the rest of my woodshop stuff into the new basement shop. I sold the old one...
Now we are going nuts getting our now unused house and shop building empty. Not as easy as you might think.
We sold it to one of our grown daughters (44) after she approached us about buying it. I didn't even know that she was seriously looking at it. They were living in town and wanted to get out in the country.
The rest of the woodshop stuff is the small part of the move. The hard part is all of the tons of misc. "stuff" stored there. We are getting rid of so much crap that 2 auction barns can't keep up with us. :)
I finally cut through the basement wall to get access from the outside for the bigger tools that I had not moved yet. Yesterday I moved my TS-3650 table and two other table saws. Tomorrow I will move my Foley Belsaw planer/molder/ripsaw, my long bed jointer and 3 more Shopsmiths.
I may get this done yet...

Well]good[/U] MVII in Greenwood on E-Bay last month.:D

Do not despair, I will give it a good home!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

JPG40504 wrote:Well]good[/U] MVII in Greenwood on E-Bay last month.:D

Do not despair, I will give it a good home!;)

Are you using it? Was it already house-broken? :)
I am about 20 miles east of Greenwood.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

robinson46176 wrote:Are you using it? Was it already house-broken? :)
I am about 20 miles east of Greenwood.

No, it will be thoroughly refurbed first. It has a bit of minor rust on the base, the medallions(end castings) are damaged, and I was surprised to 'discover' an aluminum cam! Paper work indicates it(the cam) was obtained in 1990 as well as some other parts. It appears to be a casting. The speed range is not correct, so I will be discovering some other issues. The rack has been removed for the usual reason. Motor runs and switch and key interlock work correctly. I will be creating a restoration thread as it develops. I may need help as it goes.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
maggeorge
Gold Member

Post by maggeorge »

Best of luck with the shop built. I hope your set-up will be what you really, really wanted!
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Moved some more stuff to the new basement shop and am just now getting a chance to post a couple of pictures.
I only have a basic smallish "hole" cut in the basement wall to move stuff through but it is working well. The big push here is to get the old shop building empty rather than work on the new shop. I have a couple of solid-top pallets down in the unfinished pit / patio area in front of the "hole" to lower the machines down to. I have a temp but solid ramp from that spot through the hole and down to the basement floor. I have to have the loader fairly high to transport the machines so that I can lower them down to about 5' below ground level. I bought 4 web straps rated at 1,000# each working load and a 3,000# breaking strength. I can adjust the level and position with the ratchets. It is working well but if I were doing it with less deadline (or heaver machines) I would have built a cantilevered gantry of sorts so I could have used a hoist and track. Probably much like this:
[ATTACH]18904[/ATTACH]
Some may notice that this old Super-M Farmall is missing its grill. It is in the farm shop awaiting a minor straightening after "someone" :) bent it a little loading a piece of very large and awkward farm equipment on a high trailer.
The one picture is my 10-ER and the other my 5 HP Foley Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw.
My wife operated the tractor hydraulics for me as she often has over many years.
[ATTACH]18905[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]18906[/ATTACH]

Attachments
temp crane.jpg
temp crane.jpg (5.66 KiB) Viewed 2242 times
Moving 10-ER to new shop resized.JPG
Moving 10-ER to new shop resized.JPG (236.54 KiB) Viewed 2254 times
Moving planer to new shop resized.JPG
Moving planer to new shop resized.JPG (76.98 KiB) Viewed 2251 times
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Talking about cranes, my buddy was in the hospital and while visiting him I noticed that each room had a hoist. There were two tracks parallel to the side walls that ran the length of the room. Between them was another rail which carried the carriage.

It looked to me that this crane/hoist could go practically anywhere in the room and putting the hoist right over what needed to be lifted. The tracks were fully encased and looked to be about an inch or so wide about 6 inch high. The hoist assemble itself was fully enclosed but I assumed it could lift a patient so it was probably rated 300+ lbs and hoist travel was at least from floor to some distance above a raised hospital bed.

What caught my eye was the fact it totally finished and didn't look like something massive. I was connected to the ceiling in such a way that looked sturdy but not factory huge.

I have no idea of cost but since each room had one I can't imagine it was all that expensive (however I was in a hospital which tend to spend money like water because they are getting it from health insurance companies but that is another thread). It sure looked like something I would love to have in my garage. I will now keep my eye peeled everytime I see a remodel job in any hospital. I will bet more than one construction guy has one of these in his home shop to pick up various things in the shop.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!