Back at the shop move...

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

robinson46176 wrote:Those cleats are big hooks. My pictures don't show it too well. The second picture on this page shows the concept better but mine are a little different (simpler) than his. I saw no reason to make it as tight as he did for my needs. My wall part and tool bracket part are identical (just reversed). The 2 hooks over lap an inch.
My spacers are both 7/16" X 1.5" OSB and my "hooks" (face parts) are both 1/4" X2.5" OSB.

http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/shop/archive/2009/08/04/hyper-organize-your-shop.aspx

My slip off question was the chop saw slipping off the two arms. I looks like it is just sitting there with no restraints visible.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

JPG40504 wrote:My slip off question was the chop saw slipping off the two arms. I looks like it is just sitting there with no restraints visible.

Glued and screwed... :)

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I've been working outside a good bit this week but I did manage to get this shelf hung and a plug-in strip from a ceiling mounted receptacle (also on a cleat).
I love yard / garage sales... I bought this shelf a couple of years ago for a $1. I can't make one for that. :) I have several others I have bought the same way and a nice shallow about 3'x4' pine cabinet w/door I paid a couple of bucks for.

[ATTACH]16308[/ATTACH]

This stuff is just hanging there "for now" until I get more wall up and start laying things out more. Right now I am just trying to get more small stuff moved and things sorted out and grouped together.

Attachments
Wall system - shelf.JPG
Wall system - shelf.JPG (74.72 KiB) Viewed 2435 times
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Still crawling along...
Here I am mounting a hanger cleat (glue and screws) on the back of a small parts cabinet.

[ATTACH]16338[/ATTACH]

Here are two of them hanging on a panel, not in their permanent home but ready to be moved anywhere in the shop. I still have about 3 more of the larger ones unused yet. I bought them on a special deal at Wal-Mart maybe 2 years ago. One reason I bought several was because they matched the Shopsmith dark red so well (No not purple :D).

[ATTACH]16339[/ATTACH]

Here is tool panel I just put up. I still have about 8 or 10 of these 2' x 4' .25" tempered pegboard panels that were bought on a deal maybe 20 years ago. I will make up maybe 5 or 6 more on cleats to spot at various locations around the shop. Since they tend to carry a good bit of weight I mounted the cleat on the top of the back using four .25" countersunk head stove bolts (in addition to Titebond II and .75" air staples) with the nuts out on the front. I will probably completely shuffle the layouts a half dozen times before I am satisfied with it. :rolleyes:
That is one of many reasons I like this wall system so much. :)

[ATTACH]16340[/ATTACH]

Attachments
Wall system cleat on cabinet back.JPG
Wall system cleat on cabinet back.JPG (74.93 KiB) Viewed 2405 times
Wall system small parts cabinets.JPG
Wall system small parts cabinets.JPG (88.42 KiB) Viewed 2405 times
Wall system tool panel.JPG
Wall system tool panel.JPG (77.3 KiB) Viewed 2407 times
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
billmeyer
Gold Member

Wall cleats

Post by billmeyer »

Farmer,
I really like your wall cleat system. I must steal this idea somehow!
Thanks.
Bill
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

billmeyer wrote:Farmer,
I really like your wall cleat system. I must steal this idea somehow!
Thanks.
Bill

Go ahead and steal it, I did... :) :)
My version is probably much less than a fourth of the other guys cost. I wanted something that works good but it had to be cheap. Too many other things I want to buy to put big bucks in a utilitarian item. :rolleyes:

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

Francis, what thickness is the OSB panels on the walls? I was looking at wall paneling for my shop on my last trip to Lowes and 1/4" OSB has a nice price point, but looked pretty flimsy.

(I thought the tag in the store said < $4.00, but looking at their web site now it says $6.18).
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

heathicus wrote:Francis, what thickness is the OSB panels on the walls? I was looking at wall paneling for my shop on my last trip to Lowes and 1/4" OSB has a nice price point, but looked pretty flimsy.

(I thought the tag in the store said < $4.00, but looking at their web site now it says $6.18).

7/16" from Lowes about $6 - $7 a sheet.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Hey Farmer,
Here's a guy doing some serious equipment moving. Couldn't quite "bust down" his gear like a Shopsmith, so he had to have a very cooperative missus in the kitchen:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/tr ... nt-242137/
Chris
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

nuhobby wrote:Hey Farmer,
Here's a guy doing some serious equipment moving. Couldn't quite "bust down" his gear like a Shopsmith, so he had to have a very cooperative missus in the kitchen:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/tr ... nt-242137/

My wife is normally very cooperative and quick to help but in a mess like that the divorce papers would have already been served... :D

I gather that he did not have a space outside where he could excavate a hole like I did? Of course doing it the way he did all activity was out of sight and he may be violating 37 planning and zoning laws big time.

BTW, I still haven't cut my outside door yet. I decided to let the several heavy pieces sit in the old shop until the temps are staying up for sure and it wasn't raining every other day. I'm probably pretty safe for any time now. I have enough of my SS stuff moved to do what ever I want as far as working on the shop and I am not working on any furniture type projects right now, just the shop.
I'll have our son, Scott, bring home a big diamond saw from work and cut the opening out. I'll have to construct a little closet sized room out of poly to keep the dust out of everything. Its not too bad if you have a garden sprayer full of water and keep flooding the cut as you go but the more of the grit I can keep out the shop the better.
I did make a design change :rolleyes: I kept thinking about things I want to build and decided to increase the door from 4' to 6'. Too many things were going to be almost 5' wide. :rolleyes: We were talking just this morning about installing a patio roof out over the "pit" coming from the edge of the regular house roof. The pit roof will be the white corrugated fiberglass panels on a redwood frame. It will probably end up being about a 12' extension out and about 16' along the house (like a carport). It will have an eve trough on it and a downspout system to shunt all of that water out to a nearby drain tile.
I'm ready for spring...

--
farmer
Francis Robinson