Back at the shop move...

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

twinman
Silver Member

Post by twinman »

robinson46176 wrote:When I tell people how we do the AC they keep insisting that it cannot possibly work... even though it has been not working quite acceptably for 3 years now... :eek: :rolleyes: :)

OK, you've tossed this teaser out there and I'll take the bait, how do "you" do A/C?
John

1956 SS "Greenie" / 1989 Mark V 510
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

mrhart wrote:
Thats crazy! never heard of such a thing.
Not if you lived in northern Ohio and couldn't get gas and had to heat with Electricity. The guy that bought my old house was a developer. He built a new house on the property heated it with gas. Then he ran an ad new home custom built with natural gas. Since it was the only one avail with gas due to the gas company refusal to accept any more new customers he had a one of a kind and I believe he made a fortune selling it.

I on the other hand moved into a home with electric heat and while the GE Weathertron was an excellent heat pump, I learned how precious each dollar was that I spent on insulation building the house.

I had 2x6 walls with 2 inch foam and 6 inch fiberglass, sealed with house mylar house wrap on the inside, triple paned windows and R45 insulation in the ceiling. I could nearly heat the house with a candle but my electric bills were always higher than my old house gas and electric together.

Lived there three years and move to Florida where I don't worry about heat all that much anymore :D
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

twinman wrote:OK, you've tossed this teaser out there and I'll take the bait, how do "you" do A/C?

A 10,200 BTU window unit....
Like the heating it is mostly thermal mass and good distribution.
Note that we air condition, we do not refrigerate. For heating and cooling both we shoot for about 70 degrees but it will vary + or - 5 degrees depending on the outside temps, winds and speed of outdoor temperature change summer or winter.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

We had company most of the day yesterday from about 11 AM on until evening but I did manage to get the Push me - Pull me drill-press moved yesterday morning. It was not as bad to move as I was expecting it to be. It would have been horrible to move in one piece though, tall and top heavy. Since it uses 2 pivot ends I just stripped off the tables and the levers etc. and loosened the set screws at the pivot ends. I left the headstocks at one end and locked the carriages about a foot from the other end. I pulled it apart into 3 pieces and carried them out to the truck. At the new shop my wife helped me carry the 2 way-tube sections down the stairs into the basement shop. I was feeling so generous that I even gave her the light end. :) They were not that heavy but it was just a lot easier winding through the old basement with 2 people for balancing.
I put it all back together in the new shop but I still don't have the caster set installed on it yet but it is laying under it to go on as soon as I get a chance. Today was supposed to be a day off but it turned into a kind of crazy "horse day"...
Here is an older pic of the Push me - pull me for those that don't know what I am talking about.
[ATTACH]15803[/ATTACH]

Attachments
push me - pull me.JPG
push me - pull me.JPG (72.46 KiB) Viewed 5959 times
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
mrhart
Platinum Member

Post by mrhart »

robinson46176 wrote:A 10,200 BTU window unit....
Like the heating it is mostly thermal mass and good distribution.
Note that we air condition, we do not refrigerate. For heating and cooling both we shoot for about 70 degrees but it will vary + or - 5 degrees depending on the outside temps, winds and speed of outdoor temperature change summer or winter.

You're right, that cannot possibley work ;) ....but I've always said that cooling is a luxary not a necessity. I've gone without air cond in my pickup for 3 summers (comp dead) and my family "can't imagine" how I get by. My reply is always the same, "your grandparents did".
R Hart
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

Farmer, your basement might be haunted! Some people would say those "blotches"in that one picture are really "Orbs" which are... ghosts! :eek: There are whole websites and the occasional FOX tv special dedicated to such photographic evidence of the supernatural.

But some more level-headed people would say it's just dust specs close to the camera lens catching the light. But maybe you should call in an exorcist just in case! :D
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
bffulgham
Gold Member

We ran into some of them ghosts in St. Marys, GA

Post by bffulgham »

heathicus wrote:Farmer, your basement might be haunted! Some people would say those "blotches"in that one picture are really "Orbs" which are... ghosts! :eek: There are whole websites and the occasional FOX tv special dedicated to such photographic evidence of the supernatural.

But some more level-headed people would say it's just dust specs close to the camera lens catching the light. But maybe you should call in an exorcist just in case! :D

They did a number on a couple of shots I took there. Here's one.:eek: :D
Bud F.
1998 Mark V 510 bought used 2006, Jointer, 2 Bandsaws, ca 1960 Yuba SawSmith RAS
Projects and "stuff": http://www.bfulgham.com/JAlbum/Woodworking_Index/
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Gee! I been blaming those on internal lense reflections.:rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I had "sort of" planned to move 3 Shopsmiths today but then I got up this morning and Diana and I both decided that it must be Sunday and time for a Sunday drive. :)
We engaged in the "old people's national pass-time"... (eating out :D ).
Got home mid afternoon, did some horse gate moving, planned a couple of small fence projects and then moved a little stuff from the old shop to the new one. I didn't get 3 Shopsmiths moved but I did move my Mark VII (which is dang heavy) and a lot of small stuff. I moved a small herd of SS tables, extension tables, fences, tail-stocks etc. and a batch of hand tools. Oh, yeah the frame of a mini I have been working on. I had a pretty good truck load.

I had a stupid attack in the middle of it. I stripped the extras off of the Mark VII and then locked the headstock and carriage in place. Next I unlatched the 2 pivot latches and lifted the upper section off. I decided that it was a bit heavy to carry to the truck and sat it back down and started looking for a dolly or something to roll it to the truck. Then it hit me... Use the base you stupid #$%&... :rolleyes: so I latched it back and raised it up on the casters and pushed it effortlessly to the door and outside. It was then easy to lift one end at a time to put the upper section in the truck and sit the lower section in beside it. I swear, some days I need a keeper... :D

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Finally getting in a little shop time again and got started on my wall storage system. Dang I work slow anymore. :rolleyes:
Before anyone worries, those are just old stains on that corner wall from many years ago. In spite of appearances that wall is stone dry and has been for a long time. I'm not sure why it looks so dark in the picture it isn't remotely that dark in real life. :)
Painting is a good ways away yet.
I'm using 1/2" foam board behind the panels then hanging both from the sill plate.
The rails are made of a 1.5" strip of 7/16" OSB as a spacer with a 2.5" front face of .25" OSB. Hangers will be identical but flipped. Everything is glued with Titebond. The faces of the rails are glued and stapled (air nailer/stapler) to the spacers then the rails are glued and screwed to the panels. This section is where my bench will sit about 4' or so from the wall and I will generally work standing between the bench and the wall with my back to the panel. This section will mostly be misc. hand tools like chisels, screwdrivers etc.
I felt the need to hang something up so I grabbed the dovetail jig that has an "L" flange on the back and hooked it over a rail. :) Some of this area will be some smallish peg board panels. I have a lot of pegboard hooks and hangers from our store.
One 8' panel done, 9 more to go...

[ATTACH]16186[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16187[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16188[/ATTACH]

Attachments
wall system 1.JPG
wall system 1.JPG (76.75 KiB) Viewed 5777 times
Wall system 4.JPG
Wall system 4.JPG (87.46 KiB) Viewed 5776 times
Wall system 5.JPG
Wall system 5.JPG (86.49 KiB) Viewed 5777 times
--
farmer
Francis Robinson