Questions about chisel sharpening

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tadd
Silver Member

Questions about chisel sharpening

Post by tadd »

DeCristoforo's book ("Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone") describes (pg 150) a "hood" guard to shield use of wire and abrasive grinding wheels (pg. 310-311)on the ShopSmith.

I built that hood many years ago, and I've even found my grinding wheel. But recently I tried using it, and attaching my wheel on the ShopSmith under the hood. However, my grinding wheel has a 1/4" shaft or spindle, and I do not find an arbor in set of SS items which takes that size. The hood is constructed so that the SS chuck does not fit it.

My questions:
1. Is there a SS arbor which accepts a 1/4" shaft/spindle? If not, can someone suggest a solution? I did not find in my SS manual such an arbor (January, 1980).

2. DeCristoforo's book (again pg. 311) shows sharpening a chisel (my current chore) on the side of the the grinding wheel. My wheel has a warning against using the wheel's side! Is it safe nonetheless to use the wheel's side for sharpening?

3. The book also describes and shows a "cup-wheel" abrasive grinder for sharpening a gouge chisel. Where are those sold?

4. Does anyone have a better solution for sharpening chisels (used for wood turning) than the method suggested in the DeCristoforo book?

Thanks for any help.
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

The drill chuck or the 1/" router chuck will accept a 1/4" shaft.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

It's been my observation on this forum there are about as many ways to sharpen a chisel as there are sharpening systems. In answer to #4., I like the chisel sharpening attachment for the strip sander. It's still my "go to" tool for sharpening lathe chisels. Im sure you will get other opinions on this as well. My advice would be to find a system that works best for you and stick with it.

As far as #1 is concerned, I have never seen such a shaft or spindle. However that does not mean that one doesn't exist or someone hasn't created one. I haven't used a grinding wheel in the manner you have so I can't say one way or the other.
BPR
RobertTaylor
Platinum Member

1/4" shaper arbor

Post by RobertTaylor »

i have a smaller shopsmith shaper arbor somewhere. seems to me it is more like 5/16" though.
Bob
1954 greenie, 1963 anniversary edition now a mini,
1984 500, 1985 510, 1987 510, pro-planer, bandsaw, dust collector
curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

Post by curiousgeorge »

IMHO if the wheel says not to use the side for sharpening I would not do it. You run the risk of the wheel shattering and you ending up with grinding wheel shrapnel buried in your skin.
George
Ft. Worth, TX.
Go TCU Froggies
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

As Ryan said, there are many ways to sharpen a chisel. One key thought to keep in mind however is that you need a sharpening method that can be used without having to take your work out of the Shopsmith.

My son-in-law uses the Wolverine sharpening guides on an 8" bench grinder. With the grinder positioned on a bench just behind the Shopsmith, the chisels can be quickly touched up and then be put back to work. This is probably the sharpening method used by most dedicated lathe turners.

If you have a Power Station, you can also place it close by, and with the strip sander sharpen your chisels.
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

8iowa wrote:As Ryan said, there are many ways to sharpen a chisel. One key thought to keep in mind however is that you need a sharpening method that can be used without having to take your work out of the Shopsmith.

My son-in-law uses the Wolverine sharpening guides on an 8" bench grinder. With the grinder positioned on a bench just behind the Shopsmith, the chisels can be quickly touched up and then be put back to work. This is probably the sharpening method used by most dedicated lathe turners.

If you have a Power Station, you can also place it close by, and with the strip sander sharpen your chisels.
Great advice. I use their system regulary. If not familiar with it may I suggest watching the video on there web site. Beore anyone complains about the cost, consider this if you don't wish a lot of down time and are as challange4d at sharpening as many of us are. Get and follow wolverine system. I really works as guaranteed. Fjimp
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
rkh2
Platinum Member

Post by rkh2 »

I also use the wolverine sharpening system with a slow speed grinding wheel setup and am real satisfied with the results.
Ron from Lewisburg, TN
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

I bought the wolverine and a slow speed grinder in a package deal. It makes sharpening lathe chisels much easier and the table is MUCH better than what the grinder was supplied with. BUT I did have to flatten the table above the weld.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
tadd
Silver Member

Post by tadd »

The drill chuck does fit the 1/4" shaft but then that extends the grinding wheel so much that it does not fit the hood.