What are these

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

paulmcohen
Platinum Member

What are these

Post by paulmcohen »

I am cleaning up my shop before starting my PowerPro DIY upgrade. I found two arbors and I don't know what they are. They could be from a 500 or 520, can anyone identify these.

The two pictures should be the same just from different angles. I don't want to put a 500 arbor on a PowerPro.

[ATTACH]13426[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13427[/ATTACH]
Attachments
IMG_0024.JPG
IMG_0024.JPG (85.8 KiB) Viewed 2239 times
IMG_0025.JPG
IMG_0025.JPG (104.44 KiB) Viewed 2235 times
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
damagi
Platinum Member

Post by damagi »

paulmcohen wrote:I am cleaning up my shop before starting my PowerPro DIY upgrade. I found two arbors and I don't know what they are. They could be from a 500 or 520, can anyone identify these.

The two pictures should be the same just from different angles. I don't want to put a 500 arbor on a PowerPro.

[ATTACH]13426[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13427[/ATTACH]
Looks like a pair of dado/moulder arbors.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... oarbor.htm

The spacers seem to have been split up between the two in an uneven manner though...maybe you have some other spacers lying around?
Mark 7, Pro Planer, Jointer, Bandsaw w/Kreg, Biscuit Joiner, Belt Sander, Jig Saw, Ringmaster, DC3300, Overarm Pin Router, Incra Ultimate setup

JWBS-14 w/6" riser, RBI Hawk 226 Ultra, Bosch GSM12SD Axial Glide Dual Compound Miter Saw

-- I have parts/SPTs available, so if you are in the Seattle area and need something let me know --
damagi AT gmail DOT com
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

damagi wrote:Looks like a pair of dado/moulder arbors.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/ms_molderdadoarbor.htm

The spacers seem to have been split up between the two in an uneven manner though...maybe you have some other spacers lying around?

No other parts lying around, the two screws are different lengths and the part that connects to the headstocks are also different. Will both of these work with a PowerPro? I can't think of why I would have two unless one was for a 500 and one for a 520, do both style machines use the same dado arbor?
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

paulmcohen wrote:No other parts lying around, the two screws are different lengths and the part that connects to the headstocks are also different. Will both of these work with a PowerPro? I can't think of why I would have two unless one was for a 500 and one for a 520, do both style machines use the same dado arbor?
If you take the nuts and washers off both and then compare what is left (the arbor only) I think you will find that they are near identical. I also believe that it will be apparent that they are both compatible to the Shopsmith 505/510/520/PowerPro headstock.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

There have been multiple versions of the molder/dado arbor with varying threaded lengths. Rob knows!

As far as M5/MV-500. . . 520 goes a dado or a molder requires a special setup(arbor/device/table insert) so there is no relevance to which model they are used on.

Now the saw blade arbors, come in two lengths(M5,MV-500 and MV-505...520). All they do differently is to position the blade a different distance out from the headstock with the quill fully retracted.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

paulmcohen wrote:I am cleaning up my shop before starting my PowerPro DIY upgrade. I found two arbors and I don't know what they are. They could be from a 500 or 520, can anyone identify these.

[ATTACH]13426[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13427[/ATTACH]
Paul, I would guess that the arbor on the left is a 5/8" Universal Arbor and the one on the right is a 5/8" molder/dado arbor. The Universal arbor measures about 3-1/8" long and uses a smaller wrench on the quill side than the molder/dado arbor. The molder/dado arbor is about 3-3/8" long. Depending on the width of you carriage stop ring, you may find that the Universal arbor can be used without interfering with the table support tiebar on a model 510/520/7. Generally when using the molder dado arbor, the carriage needs to be moved to the right so that the end of the arbor does not hit the table support tiebar.

As has already been said, they will work fine with the PowerPro.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
Ron309753
Gold Member

Post by Ron309753 »

Rob is correct. The thinner arbor is an old Magna Universal Arbor. Per the box, "For quick sure mounting of saw blades, grinding wheels, dado sets, etc,."

The thicker one is Shopsmith's beefier version of the same thing.

I see no reason why you couldn't use either, but you appear to be missing some washers and a spacer (see attached)

Sincerely,

Ron309753
Attachments
100_1451.JPG
100_1451.JPG (107.38 KiB) Viewed 1969 times
100_1452.JPG
100_1452.JPG (110.04 KiB) Viewed 1970 times
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

Wow you gentlemen are timely in this discussion. Actually I am always surprised at how often I am trying to remember what part I bought to make another work. Sunday I dug out my 8" Freud Dial a Dado then spent another hour finding the right harbor. Then today you folks posted pictures confirming my correct choice. Incidentally the bottom of the cut was perfectly flat and square to the sides. Fjimp
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
Ron309753
Gold Member

Post by Ron309753 »

I also have a spare thick washer/spacer. If you need it to make both arbors useable, send me a PM and I'll get it to you.

Sincerely,

Ron309753
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

Ron309753 wrote:I also have a spare thick washer/spacer. If you need it to make both arbors usable, send me a PM and I'll get it to you.

Sincerely,

Ron309753

I purchased everything new from Shopsmith so if I am missing something in the picture I have it (or will after cleaning the rest of my shop before my PowerPro upgrade project). Thanks for the offer though.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR