PVC Lumber

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bashfulbob
Gold Member

PVC Lumber

Post by bashfulbob »

Hi

I just gor my Workbench mag, vol 62, No. 5, Issue 297 (Small workshop on the cover) in, which I haven't read yet, and one of the articles is about PVC Lumber. That's new to me. The lead ins are: "Create long-lasting outdoor projects with a material that's as easy to work as wood, but won't rot like it."

Pros: Won't rot, Dosen't have to be painted (but can be), Easy to cut and machine, Readily available.

Cons: Not designed for structural use, "Plastic" appearance if left unpainted, Machined edges require priming and painting.

:eek: Shucky darn folks, what are they going to think of next?

Life is what happens in between Plans.:)
redferd
Bronze Member

Post by redferd »

My brother is replacing pieces of his rotted deck with this material. He says it is nice to work with and should last a long time. It is a little more expensive than the wood material. He has three tiered decks and the New Jersey climate has ruined much of his original wood decking. I bought a piece of it to replace a small railing on my outside deck. It seems heavier than wood in weight. If it lasts a long time (many years), I'd say it's worth the extra cost. :)