Repurposing and adding router table

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

paulrussell
Platinum Member

Repurposing and adding router table

Post by paulrussell »

I need a router table, and I have a pile of leftover SS parts.

I have the following leftovers:
500:
2 main tables w/fences & 1 carriage
1 aux table without legs (narrow)
1 aux table without legs (wide)

510:
6 510 aux/float tubes
4 510 main table tubes
1 510 fence w/straddle

I also have one of the wider 500 aux tables which still has its legs, but I had figured that it was still useful as an aux table.

Router Table Idea 1:
Make a laminated MDF table and mount two sets of 510 rails on each side. The first set would be aligned like those on a normal 510 table and allow use of the 510 fence. The second set would be mounted below and wider so as to be inline with the 520 rail set, allowing me to mount it on the Shopsmith.

Router Table Idea 2:
Same table as above, but instead of a second set of rail tubes, mount aux table legs on one end for support, and tubes with telescoping legs to support the other.

Router Table Idea 3:
Forget about mounting it on the 520, but use 510 rails and fence on a stand-alone router table.

Router Table Idea 4:
Forget about all of the above and make the lift-top table from one of Nick's books.

Any ideas for 5, 6, or 7? Pluses and minuses for the above ideas?
Paul

520 PowerPro, Planer, Bandsaw, Jointer, Belt Sander, 20" Scroll Saw, Dust Collector, conical disc
Also: 3D printers, and a homebrew CNC
dasgud
Gold Member

My table set up

Post by dasgud »

Hi Paul,
This isn't a direct answer to your question. It does, however, work well for me so I thought I would share it still. I just use a 3/4" MDF table that I clamp to my bench vise.

[ATTACH]9143[/ATTACH]

Under my table I inserted a clamping board into a groove with a cut-out to fit around my vise tubes:

[ATTACH]9144[/ATTACH]

Here it is clamped in with a fence. I also have a pin routing attachment that I can set up pretty easily. I'm creating a video about that to post to youtube now, but I don't know how to yet and am stumbling through that process. I did edit out the parts where I bumped my head already lol.

[ATTACH]9145[/ATTACH]

The only reason I avoided building something to use on my shopsmith is because I wanted to leave that available for other operations. The router table is oversized for large pieces. It also has two grooves routed through the table so I can hold down the fence and some day the pin router attch with carriage bolts.

So far this has worked very well for me. I would call it a 2nd generation prototype. I had a router table that was hinged to an end of my workbench. When I moved I situated the bench as pictured and now dont have access to both ends.

I hope you like this.
Attachments
DSC04713.JPG
DSC04713.JPG (214.33 KiB) Viewed 3722 times
DSC04714.JPG
DSC04714.JPG (195.42 KiB) Viewed 3721 times
DSC04716.JPG
DSC04716.JPG (210.38 KiB) Viewed 3777 times
foxtrapper
Gold Member

Post by foxtrapper »

Well, if I were determined to make a router table that attached to a shopsmith, I'd probably rig it up to sit in the holes, just like a standard end table. I've made other tables to do this, and it does just fine.

I would not use a shopsmith fence, though it could be done easily enough. I always thought the simple swinging fence was sufficient and quite dandy with a router table.

For a lower profile table, I might consider one that straddles the tubes. But, that's likely to be awkward down there between the end and the head unit.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Paul
Here is my thinking.
I would make a table that could be mounted on the 500 Aux table that has legs.
I would then either make it so the 510 fence rails could be mounted on it or I would get 520 fence rails.

I would probably go the 510 fence rail route since you already have them.

I would then use the 510 fence as my router table fence. I would choose to use it over the 520 fence just to make sure I didn't oops it and have a router bit chew up my 520 fence.

You may or may not know I had a bad 510 main table so I grounded a flat for mounting my router into the bottom of it and used my 510 fence with a built aux fence that collects dust and all. My setup works for me. imount mine on my workbench but if you used your aux table you could mount yours to the SS which I would like better.

Here is a picture.
[ATTACH]9165[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]9166[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]9167[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]9168[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]9169[/ATTACH]
Attachments
router 1.jpg
router 1.jpg (79.54 KiB) Viewed 3676 times
router 2.jpg
router 2.jpg (67.13 KiB) Viewed 3651 times
router 3.jpg
router 3.jpg (83.6 KiB) Viewed 3653 times
router 4.jpg
router 4.jpg (78.71 KiB) Viewed 3648 times
router 5.jpg
router 5.jpg (97.45 KiB) Viewed 3647 times
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
paulrussell
Platinum Member

Post by paulrussell »

Thanks to everyone for the great replies. I would prefer a stand-alone router table, but like many people, space is currently an issue.

I've also never had a router table, so I'm not savvy to what the pros/cons of different layouts might be, nor can I predict what will best meet my needs.

At the moment I'm leaning toward a simple table mounted to a set of extension table legs and using the 510 rails and fence as the base for a router fence, and I can see Ed has already designed it for me.

If I find that I would prefer the table to be compatible with the 520, I can upgrade the rails later. If I find I would prefer a stand-alone (or get more room) I can move the table to a stand of some sort. I'll keep that in mind when I design it. I hate throwing things out.
Paul

520 PowerPro, Planer, Bandsaw, Jointer, Belt Sander, 20" Scroll Saw, Dust Collector, conical disc
paulrussell
Platinum Member

Post by paulrussell »

I've figured out what I'm gonna do. I'll post pics when I'm done. :D
PS: Given my record, it might be a while....
Paul