Do you have another saw besides the Shopsmith?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Do you have another saw besides the Shopsmith?

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I was wondering how many use the Shopsmith but have another saw (table, Radial arm, etc) that they also use.

I have a few friends that use the SS for everything but primary cutting. They keep theirs for functions like the disk sander, drill press, lathe, and to power their band saw, jointer and other accessories. I was just wondering how many of us have another saw.

I own a Radial arm but I still do most of my primary cutting on the SS. Although I have considered buying a table saw more than once or twice.
Ed
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

I have a DeWalt Sliding Compound miter saw with Laser that I use for crosscutting.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
kd6vpe
Platinum Member

Post by kd6vpe »

I have a Makita miter saw I use for cross-cutting, seperate router table gave my old craftsman bench top saw away when I got the SS. So far I'm very happy I did. I have a model 500 I bought used and just love the height of the cutting.
sambofl
Gold Member

Post by sambofl »

I have a 1955 SS 500 and I also have a table saw and I use both depending on what I am cutting. A angled long piece I use the table saw I seem to be able to control the guid alot better with the blade angled instead of the wood but thats just me, Im still a rookie.
scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

I have a delta miter saw cuts up to 6" wide otherwise I use my 510 for all rips and most crosscuts. Made the upgrade from 500 and it is now a very nice setup. I cut sheet stock all the time. Sometimes I will use my skill saw though.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Nope! Don't have another power saw, except for a hand held "skill" saw I use for breaking down 4X8 sheets. Sold my radial arm saw when acquired the SS 510.:)
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

I inherited a Rohbi radial arm saw but have yet to use it. I went to a lot of trouble just to obtain a manual as this saw is now discontinued. My hand circular saw gets some use - mostly outside because of the dust and noise.

In my new shop I'm going to try to limit the number of tools powered by universal motors in an effort to reduce the noise level.
teufelhund323
Silver Member

Post by teufelhund323 »

I have a Dewalt DW 746, which I had prior to buying my 520. It is a good saw, but it doesn't see a lot of use. Mostly, I use it if I have to make a beveled cut on a long piece, which is easier for me due to the blade tilting versus the table. Also safer - again for me - due to the height of the Dewalt (I'm not exactly tall). That being said, I prefer my 520 for most cutting because the cut quality is better than that of the Dewalt.
Tim :D
Belchertown, Mass.
520/Band Saw
rkh2
Platinum Member

Post by rkh2 »

I have a DeWalt Heavy Duty 12" Double Bevel Compound Miter Saw, DW 716, which I use for most cross cutting on 2 x 4's, 2 x 6's, up to 10". Also I have the saw set up on a Rigid folding miter saw table with wheels, so I can pull it out of my shop to do cutting and not have to make room in the shop, especially for long lengths of wood. It's convenient as I usually have my SS in the lathe mode. I still do all my ripping on the SS and like Chuck mentioned, I do any large pieces of plywood using a circular saw to get them down to manageable sizes to work with.
Ron from Lewisburg, TN
dusty
Platinum Member

Do You Have Another Saw besides the Shopsmith?

Post by dusty »

The Shopsmith is my only table saw.

However, I do a lot of cutting using a circular saw. Especially sheets goods. I cut down sheet goods to manageable size using my old 6 1/2" circular.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.