How does your workshop grow?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

paulrussell
Platinum Member

How does your workshop grow?

Post by paulrussell »

I know that everyone has their own specialty when it comes to woodworking, but I'm curious what tools everyone finds to be the most useful in their shops.

I've often heard it said that the tablesaw is the heart of any woodshop, and I have to believe the drill press and sander are close behind. And as Shopsmith owners we all have a lathe.

What tool do you find to be essential to your work? What is surprisingly useful and what do you find gathering dust in the corner?
Paul

520 PowerPro, Planer, Bandsaw, Jointer, Belt Sander, 20" Scroll Saw, Dust Collector, conical disc
Also: 3D printers, and a homebrew CNC
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

paulrussell wrote:I know that everyone has their own specialty when it comes to woodworking, but I'm curious what tools everyone finds to be the most useful in their shops.

I've often heard it said that the tablesaw is the heart of any woodshop, and I have to believe the drill press and sander are close behind. And as Shopsmith owners we all have a lathe.

What tool do you find to be essential to your work? What is surprisingly useful and what do you find gathering dust in the corner?
I am a Shopsmith junky. I have a Mark V, a Crafters Station, a jointer, a ProPlaner, a Bandsaw, a Belt Sander and a Bandsaw (I have two) and a Scroll Saw.

They all gather dust but not in the corner but rather while in use. The only one that does not get used frequently is the Scroll Saw which hardly ever collects dust because it is under a dust cover.

I find it very hard to say that one is more important to "shop production" than another. They each are there for a specific purpose and none really substitute for the other..
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Having fairly recently added a bandsaw to the stable, and used it for a short time, I would have to insert it pretty high on the list. I think the table saw would be first, jointer next followed by the bandsaw then the drill press(both horizontal and vertical mode). Any of the sanders would be next.

Below those in essentially the same 'rank' would be the jig saw and most of the 'other' stuff which have a narrower function and are only needed to perform those operations.

I do not have either a planer nor a dust collector. It I did, they would be near the top also! I be looking!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
paulrussell
Platinum Member

Post by paulrussell »

dusty wrote:I am a Shopsmith junky. I have a Mark V, a Crafters Station, a jointer, a ProPlaner, a Bandsaw, a Belt Sander and a Bandsaw (I have two) and a Scroll Saw.

They all gather dust but not in the corner but rather while in use. The only one that does not get used frequently is the Scroll Saw which hardly ever collects dust because it is under a dust cover.

I find it very hard to say that one is more important to "shop production" than another. They each are there for a specific purpose and none really substitute for the other..
I'd never heard of the Crafters Station before. I looked it up on the Shopsmith site ( http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/faq/craftersstation.htm ) and discovered that "It's a Complete Snading System"

Just goes to show you how much I have to learn. I'd never even considered a dedicated Snading System. :D
Paul

520 PowerPro, Planer, Bandsaw, Jointer, Belt Sander, 20" Scroll Saw, Dust Collector, conical disc
Also: 3D printers, and a homebrew CNC
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

paulrussell wrote:I know that everyone has their own specialty when it comes to woodworking, but I'm curious what tools everyone finds to be the most useful in their shops.

I'm just heading out the door as I spotted this. This could be a very interesting thread and I will respond to it better later when I have the time it deserves. For now, while I use the tablesaw a "lot" it is not #1. As a person that has few allergies including any allergies to hand tools I would have to say the #1 tool is the bench... :) That and a basic set of hand tools. Everything else is just to make it faster or easier.
Maybe the "correct" answer is a Shopsmith... :D
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

Post by curiousgeorge »

paulrussell wrote:I'd never heard of the Crafters Station before. I looked it up on the Shopsmith site ( http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/faq/craftersstation.htm ) and discovered that "It's a Complete Snading System"

Just goes to show you how much I have to learn. I'd never even considered a dedicated Snading System. :D
What's a Snading System? :rolleyes:
George
Ft. Worth, TX.
Go TCU Froggies
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

curiousgeorge wrote:What's a Snading System? :rolleyes:
See #2 in the link above!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I would disagree with calling the Crafter's Station a "Sanding Station".

It is more like a Power Station with the ability to host, a Jointer, Bandsaw, Jig Saw, Disc Sander, and Drum Sander. Along with that, it can be set up as a table saw. My setup is now equipped with the 520 rail system. There are three tables (main table, two extension tables).

Shopsmith did not advocate that the Crafter's Station could support a jointer but I will. It runs slower but if you need a jointer and a slow one is the only one -- it works. The trick is simple - feed slower!

I also use mine as the base on which I mount my Incra Fence and Router Table.

It is more than a sanding station. I believe the big reason why it is still not offered by Shopsmith is the fact that it is reversible. Reversible is great for some things (like powering the bandsaw) but a table saw with the blade running the wrong direction is a serious safety hazard.:eek:
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

Started out with an old Rockwell 9" table saw, then a Dewalt scrollsaw. When I bought my 520, my nephew inherited the Rockwell. Over time I have added all of the SPTs except the planer and scrollsaw. I still have a Delta portable (?) planer, but I am hoping to get a stand mounted Shopsmith planer either new or second-hand when I have the cash saved up from my other activities.

BPR
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

"Essential" is probably not synonymous with "most used".

The TS is probably the most essential tool. Then the jointer, band saw, sander(s) and router(s). In which order depends on what day it is.

I only do routing on Tuesdays:D

Most used would have to be the benches.

Are appendages and eyes considered tools?
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton