Basic or not so, general interest??

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

greitz
Gold Member

Post by greitz »

Hi, Ed- This is a great thread and looks like a great project also. Thanks!

I do have a question- Would it be easier to attach the bandsawed plywood circles to the faceplates first, then turn the circles down to final diameter while they're attached to the faceplates?

Gary
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

reible wrote:I almost forgot, I promised a photo of showing that this shopsmith is not equipped with a powerpro... it does however have some blue tape hanging on it.

[ATTACH]8094[/ATTACH]

Ed

Nice Try! The blue doesn't match either the color or the shape of the 'lightning' artwork.:rolleyes:

Either you 'Messed' up(fergot what was being used) or you are perpetrating a great hoax by putting a printed pix of the power pro control panel in the earlier pix and then appearing to cover it up.

BTW how well does it work in cold ambient temps?:D

Regardless keep going. My curiosity is bugging me re what it tis!:cool:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

Enjoying the post!!
Everyone knows that someone has to test them before they put them on the market. I am sure there are more on this Forum that are trying them out. You can't sell something new before it is tested. I'm sure they are sworn to be secretive. ;) ;) The paper towel and the magic marker is a dead give away. :D The best thing would have been no pictures.:(
[ATTACH]8104[/ATTACH]This one
[ATTACH]8102[/ATTACH]doesn't look like this one
Attachments
PowerPro.jpg
PowerPro.jpg (45.85 KiB) Viewed 4390 times
powerPro-.jpg
powerPro-.jpg (44.13 KiB) Viewed 4393 times
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

Yeah, that was "blue tape" in those other pictures just like it was only a "weather balloon" that crashed in Roswell, NM almost 65 years ago. :eek:

:D
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

reible wrote:Hi,

First before you all get to excited, I do not have the new powerpro headstock. Despite what you think you see it is not a new powerpro.... Just to prove it I will take a picture this afternoon with the speed dial in plane sight.

We were out shopping this morning but it is a nice sunny day so I hope to get on with a couple more parts of the project today. Boy after being out of the shop for so long it sure feels good to be making sawdust again.

Ed
Hi Ed,

I truly want to believe you, really I do, just because I wood hate to think that you wood lie to us :rolleyes: , but... What everyone can see in the pictures is KNOT what we should be seeing. If you do knot have a (Power)-PRO-to type, you have something covering the speed dial, and it is knot blue tape. Since you will knot come clean, you leave us no choice except to think that you do have a (Power)-PRO-to type. If you want us to think otherwise, recreate what we can see, and get the whole thing in the picture.:p
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

And if it was just blue tape in the original pictures, why were the images edited and scribbled over? What was the reasoning for that? What was the deal with the paper towel in the picture in that other thread?
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
judaspre1982
Platinum Member

Post by judaspre1982 »

============================
Last edited by judaspre1982 on Sat May 13, 2017 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

reible wrote:Hi,

First before you all get to excited, I do not have the new powerpro headstock. Despite what you think you see it is not a new powerpro.... Just to prove it I will take a picture this afternoon with the speed dial in plane sight.

We were out shopping this morning but it is a nice sunny day so I hope to get on with a couple more parts of the project today. Boy after being out of the shop for so long it sure feels good to be making sawdust again.

Ed

[ATTACH]8094[/ATTACH]

Ed
I got it figured out! Ed has carefully stated things. For instance, in the post showing us a picture of blue tape on a speed dial, he states that "...this shopsmith is not equiped with a powerpro..." Duh, we can see that.

In the post that he says "...I do not have the new powerpro headstock...", he is also stating the facts. What he is knot saying is that it is his old headstock with a conversion kit installed.

Nice try, Ed! Was it an easy conversion? Where are the parts made?

edit: looks like Dave came to the same conclusion a minute before I posted.:o
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

OK you guys found me out... had you going there for a while with my photoshop work... Here is the head stock that had the blue tape on it with the photoshopped power pro logo:
[ATTACH]8105[/ATTACH]

There all settled and we can get back to the project at hand.

Ed
Attachments
DSCF7546scm2.jpg
DSCF7546scm2.jpg (17.3 KiB) Viewed 4387 times
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi Gary,

That is another option, only one of the three wheels gets mounted to a faceplate so it would be up to you how you wanted to carry out the task.

This is the same with any thing that I'm showing here, I'm only showing one way of doing the operation but depending on what equipment and what experience you have you may choice to do it any of many ways.

The important thing with the wheels is getting the to be a nice tight fit in the PVC. When I put the parts together this afternoon it took some light tapping to seat the parts. This is what I was looking for in a fit so I was happy with it.

At some point I plan to turn the PVC to remove any out of round conditions and errors that might have crept in during the drilling, turning and assembly. I'm thinking only a very light cut will be needed... if things are way off then the whole projects could be a waste of time. I can't tell until we get that far along. Plan B is to go to sch 80 PVC with a lot more material that can be taken off but it will require several other changes to adjust the plan so it could work.

Ed
greitz wrote:Hi, Ed- This is a great thread and looks like a great project also. Thanks!

I do have a question- Would it be easier to attach the bandsawed plywood circles to the faceplates first, then turn the circles down to final diameter while they're attached to the faceplates?

Gary
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]