mickyd's Woodworking Projects

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

[quote="robinson46176"][quote="mickyd"]

I can't speak with any authority in this particular case but it has been my experience over the years that many wood projects are designed to consume as much time as possible rather than to produce a project with any speed or ease at all.
Even in retirement I stay very busy and struggle to get even a little time for each of my hobbies. When I want to make something I want to walk in the shop and "gitter-done"... Everywhere I look I have hundreds and hundreds of jobs shouting "do me next". I have over 20 buildings of one kind or the other and everyone of them needs something. I have fences that need building, repairing and in a few cases tearing out. I have a half dozen writing projects in the works, some immediate, some long term projects. The list goes on and on.
On the other hand I have known a lot of folks who even when they were working for a living came home after work and had nothing to do... After retirement their main goal is to use up time hopefully doing something pleasant. And sometimes hiding from their spouse a little... ] I suspect this is all by choice, farmer. What you have not really done YET is retire. That is what retirement is all about - spending your time doing the things you want to do and NOT what you have to do.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
------------------------
Gold Member

Post by ------------------------ »

Hey Mike!
The only reason I suggested the jig saw to re-saw those strips was finger preservation;)
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

[quote="mark-b"]Hey Mike!
The only reason I suggested the jig saw to re-saw those strips was finger preservation]

I'll vote for finger preservation, Yes Sir!!!!!!! Jim:eek::mad::)
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

mickyd wrote:Went to a glass and mirror shop here in San Diego to locate the lantern glass. The plans called it 'cord glass'..

Mike - it has been my experience to NEVER buy any kind of glass for a project until the project is assembled.

Never had a bad experience that way. If the project is a little off from the plans (which happens) the glass is never a problem. Same with mirrors. It's a lot harder to make a project fit glass than for a glass cutter to fit the project. Also the glass shop likes to see where their glass is going! I've even been asked to make a duplicate for them.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

charlese wrote:Mike - it has been my experience to NEVER buy any kind of glass for a project until the project is assembled.

Never had a bad experience that way. If the project is a little off from the plans (which happens) the glass is never a problem. Same with mirrors. It's a lot harder to make a project fit glass than for a glass cutter to fit the project. Also the glass shop likes to see where their glass is going! I've even been asked to make a duplicate for them.
Too late Chuck.....I'll heed your advise next time. I ordered the spectrum cord glass yesterday. Picked it up today after work, cut to wdth. Three strips of 3-9/16" x 72". I'll cut to length. Bought enough for 4 sets of the three candle lanterns. Cost me $50. I had the plans with me when I went there so that saw what the the end product was going to look like.
[ATTACH]7578[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Img_8189mod.jpg
Img_8189mod.jpg (82.25 KiB) Viewed 3828 times
Mike
Sunny San Diego
nomoman
Gold Member

Post by nomoman »

mickyd wrote:Too late Chuck.....I'll heed your advise next time. I ordered the spectrum cord glass yesterday. Picked it up today after work, cut to wdth. Three strips of 3-9/16" x 72". I'll cut to length. Bought enough for 4 sets of the three candle lanterns. Cost me $50. I had the plans with me when I went there so that saw what the the end product was going to look like.
You still have time to not cut till the "boxes" are made...
I see said the blindman, to his deaf wife, as he picked up his hammer and saw.
Shopsmith Mark V. DC3300
Jared
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

nomoman wrote:You still have time to not cut till the "boxes" are made...
Correct-a-mundo!!
Mike
Sunny San Diego
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

dusty wrote:
robinson46176 wrote: I suspect this is all by choice, farmer. What you have not really done YET is retire. That is what retirement is all about - spending your time doing the things you want to do and NOT what you have to do.

But we closed the store. I quit grain farming. I quit the baled hay business. I no longer do any mechanical work on cars, trucks or tractors for others. I have quit the sharpening sideline. I no longer do any small engine repairing. We only have one active rental right now.
Dang it there should be some woodshop time in there somewhere... :D
Of course my #$%& knee problem ate most of my progress from last August/September until a few weeks ago and has kept me in slow motion to near no motion at times. I'm really hoping for a mild last half of winter and an early spring.
I am still getting a little shop cleaning done but I have trouble getting inspired on some of these gloomy days.
I guess that there is an outside chance that I am getting older... :)
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

robinson46176 wrote:
dusty wrote:

But we closed the store. I quit grain farming. I quit the baled hay business. I no longer do any mechanical work on cars, trucks or tractors for others. I have quit the sharpening sideline. I no longer do any small engine repairing. We only have one active rental right now.
Dang it there should be some woodshop time in there somewhere... :D
Of course my #$%& knee problem ate most of my progress from last August/September until a few weeks ago and has kept me in slow motion to near no motion at times. I'm really hoping for a mild last half of winter and an early spring.
I am still getting a little shop cleaning done but I have trouble getting inspired on some of these gloomy days.
I guess that there is an outside chance that I am getting older... :)
You accomplish a lot more than I do. You have chosen to spend your time in ways that are far different than I. I spend almost all of my free time tinkering in the shop. I think that you are probably doing what is good for you but like I said - I don't believe that you have retired yet. You do an awful lot of what sounds like work to me.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

Here's my next plan of attack. The mahogany 'scraps' I have from mrcabinetmaker are 8" x 4" x 13/16".
[ATTACH]7588[/ATTACH]
Project calls for 1/4" thick stock so I'll resaw each piece into two 1/4 thick pieces on the table saw, center will be waste, leaving each with a stock side. Table saw plans are to hold it up against the fence and cut a little over 1/2 way up, flip the board vertically and cut the other 1/2.
[ATTACH]7589[/ATTACH]
Should I have a zero clearance insert to do this or is the insert I have adequate?
[ATTACH]7593[/ATTACH]
Attachments
IMG_8194mod.jpg
IMG_8194mod.jpg (88.34 KiB) Viewed 3837 times
IMG_8197mod.jpg
IMG_8197mod.jpg (48.06 KiB) Viewed 3834 times
IMG_8197mod1.jpg
IMG_8197mod1.jpg (36.04 KiB) Viewed 3833 times
Mike
Sunny San Diego