mickyd's Woodworking Projects

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

mickyd wrote:Funny you asked! Before I started sanding, I put on my cheapo white dust mask. I wasn't using any dust collection. Why? I don't know. I bought a ShopSmith DC3300 a month or so ago but haven't even used it yet. Don't have any accessories to attach it to my stuff. Anyway, about halfway through sanding, I started tasting dust. If you taste it, your inhaling it. I figured I only had a bit more to go so I continued. Then, my eyes started bugging me (contact wearer) and when I looked up across the room, it looked foggy. Blinked a few times thinking my contacts were crudded up but realized the entire room was full of airborn dust, REALLY bad. I was right at the end of sanding so I stopped and left the room. When back 30 minutes later and air was no longer foggy but dust had covering everything!!! So that's why I didn't tackle the 2nd one last night.

I now know that I need to use my dust collector AND I need to use a better mask, especially with this type of sanding. My respirator is old and the cartridges are shot (rusty) so I am going to buy a new 3M brand I saw on the Woodwhisperer. It uses both cartridges or just dust filters.

Off to Amazon I go.
Micky, you don't need any attachments to get some benefit from the DC3300. Just turn it on with all the ports open and let it pull in air.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

dusty wrote:Micky, you don't need any attachments to get some benefit from the DC3300. Just turn it on with all the ports open and let it pull in air.
Excellent point dusty. Didn't even think of that. It does have great volume CFM input. Gotta add this one to another of my MANY duh moments!!:D And the one hose that I do have close to my source would help too.

Never again will I not consider dust collection. Surprised my wife didn't kill me when she when out and saw the mess all over. Probably because she knows I usually learn from my mistakes (not to mention that one of the stools is going to be hers xxxooo).
Mike
Sunny San Diego
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

JPG40504 wrote:Where's the 'other' one?:D

Hey that really really looks mucho gooder! Glad ya got some good advice. Speaking of which, next time Rob 'offers' to 'lend' you something, look closely, it may be a trojan horsie!:rolleyes:
As always jpg is right, it was wrong of me to loan you a tool. I will never do it again. Please forgive me, mickyd.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

SDSSmith wrote:As always jpg is right, it was wrong of me to loan you a tool. I will never do it again. Please forgive me, mickyd.
Ya, I'd end up giving it back in better condition than when you gave it to me and I wouldn't want to up your standards.:eek:
Mike
Sunny San Diego
mickyd
Platinum Member

Dust mask / chemical respirator

Post by mickyd »

Here's the dust mask / respirator I just purchased from Amazon. $32......good price for the bottom venting mask, organic cartridges, and P100 dust filters. Plus, I look so nice in PINK!!!:o
Mike
Sunny San Diego
shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

mickyd wrote:Ya, I'd end up giving it back in better condition than when you gave it to me and I wouldn't want to up your standards.:eek:
Reminds me of an old bumper sticker "I upped my standards..... Up yours!"

Just for fun

Paul M
Paul M ........ The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese