Stuck headstock & carriage

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

retiredsoldier919
Gold Member

Stuck headstock & carriage

Post by retiredsoldier919 »

I've searched here and on the Yahoo 10er group, but I can't find someone with my problem. After I tighten my headstock lever & the carriage lever, both (headstock & carriage) are froozen in place, even AFTER I remove the lever & wedges. I have to gently hit each to get them unstuck. Is there a fix other than disassembly?
David

10ER - SN:21949, Acquired 11 Jan 2010
------------------------
Gold Member

Post by ------------------------ »

Mine did that until I waxed them real good!
retiredsoldier919
Gold Member

mark-b wrote:Mine did that until I waxed them real good!
I assume you are talking about waxing the ways. If so, I'd like to avoid waxing them. I know from years of waxing floors, with Johnsons wax, they build up and need striped after awhile. I imagine the wax could build up in the headstock & carriage. How about silicone spray on the ways? It seems to work when the headstock is loose.
David

dlbristol
Platinum Member

Follow the recommendations

Post by dlbristol »

I don't know about the wax building up, mine hasn't, but I've only had it 5 years. I will say this however, I usually end up in trouble when I don't follow the book and the guys on this forum. I would wait for more responses before I put did anything other than wax the ways. That said, I do have a way of convincing myself that a really bad idea is a really good one or that a really hard thing to do is easy.:eek: Combine that with a lack of skill and you have a receipe for trouble. Hence my devotion to the advise found here.:D
Saw dust heals many wounds. RLTW
Dave
retiredsoldier919
Gold Member

dlbristol wrote:I don't know about the wax building up, mine hasn't, but I've only had it 5 years. I will say this however, I usually end up in trouble when I don't follow the book and the guys on this forum. I would wait for more responses before I put did anything other than wax the ways. That said, I do have a way of convincing myself that a really bad idea is a really good one or that a really hard thing to do is easy.:eek: Combine that with a lack of skill and you have a receipe for trouble. Hence my devotion to the advise found here.:D
That's good advice. I'll wait before proceeding. Thx.
David

------------------------
Gold Member

Post by ------------------------ »

I used Turtle Wax bumper wax. Others have said they use paste wax. I just apply wax with a nylon scrub pad, scrub it in then wipe off excess. I dont like the smell of silicone and it causes chemical pneumonia if you breathe it in. You could really use any lube, however oil products may stain you projects.
Mark
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Wax, Wax, Wax, Wax, Wax, Wax, Wax, Wax,Wax, Wax, Wax, Wax,Wax, Wax, Wax, Wax...
Trust me... :cool:
Johnsons paste wax.
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

retiredsoldier919 wrote:I've searched here and on the Yahoo 10er group, but I can't find someone with my problem. After I tighten my headstock lever & the carriage lever, both (headstock & carriage) are froozen in place, even AFTER I remove the lever & wedges. I have to gently hit each to get them unstuck. Is there a fix other than disassembly?
I would look at the wedges to see if they have become deformed from tightening over the years. Other users have refaced (flat file, strip sander, etc.) the wedges so that they a flat face as they did originally. I am surprised that you did not find anything over on the Yahoo site, but I would encourage you to post your problem over at that site. They are also very helpful.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

robinson46176 wrote:Wax, Wax, Wax, Wax, Wax, Wax, Wax, Wax,Wax, Wax, Wax, Wax,Wax, Wax, Wax, Wax...
Trust me... :cool:
Johnsons paste wax.
What he said, and use Johnson's Original paste wax.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

su
retiredsoldier919 wrote:I assume you are talking about waxing the ways. If so, I'd like to avoid waxing them. I know from years of waxing floors, with Johnsons wax, they build up and need striped after awhile. I imagine the wax could build up in the headstock & carriage. How about silicone spray on the ways? It seems to work when the headstock is loose.

Johnson's Original paste wax is not a floor wax. Subsequent application dissolves the earlier 'residue'. i.e. It doesn't build up!

Yellow can, red stripe, The Original Formula(make sure those exact words are on the red stripe. UPC code is 46500 00202. Got my last can at Home Depot(Not in the paint Dept.!)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange