Restoration Progress On My 1986 Gray

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote::confused:Is this because the sheaves (which control speed changes by controlling pulley ratios) can be moved in and out just so far -OR- are there other limiting factors.:confused:

Methinks wear has a lot to do with it. Not only bore wear which causes play, but the surfaces of the sheaves causes the interaction between the two sheaves to change.

It is possible the fan sheave is mis located. They have a history of coming loose.

Are you reading this JOTB????
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

I thought I was going to be finished with it this weekend, but it didn't work out that way. I need to finish up the fence and add one small finishing touch. Then I have to decide if an oversight I made is something I can live with, or if I need to redo.

I decided to re-do the high-speed adjustment. I think I had "Fast" set a little too fast (belt too close to the edge of the pulley). I slowed that down a little and now the speed dial stops directly on both "Fast" and "Slow."
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote::confused:Is this because the sheaves (which control speed changes by controlling pulley ratios) can be moved in and out just so far -OR- are there other limiting factors.:confused:

The control sheave will 'bottom' out against the opposite flange. This limits the travel of the porkchop.

On the other end, the floating sheave cannot open any further than the belt bottoming out on the pulleys.

Since we now know the high speed adjustment was set too high, it makes more sense. By allowing the control sheave to be set(stopped) too high(and the position on the indicator dial), the total movement range of the porkchop is increased so that the 'low' stop was past 'slow' on the dial. This increased movement also caused the belt to ride high on the control sheave thus forcing the belt into the bottom of the motor sheave. Once bottomed out, no further speed decrease was possible. I have to assume the belt tension was increasing when below the slow position.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
heathicus
Platinum Member

She ain't gray no more!

Post by heathicus »

So, technically I'm not done. But I just couldn't stand it anymore!

Left to do:
  • Assemble the fence. I just put a coat of paint on the fence base this evening.
  • De-rust the kick-back prawls and clean up the guard.
  • (Optional) Paint the lower saw guard black to match.
  • Probably some more things I haven't thought of.
I went through several ideas for my paint scheme. I almost went with MickyD's Greenie scheme with the Verde Green. But, I wanted something a little more unique. I liked the black and silver scheme that somebody posted and I did some mock ups of some variations on that scheme. Then, as my beloved New Orleans Saints were in the middle of their historic season, inspiration hit me. I did a black and gold mock up and liked it. Then I added some Saints fleur-de-lis to the mock up and liked that too. But the legs looked plain. So made them look like jerseys in my mock up and I loved it! I initially was going to do names and numbers of real Saints jerseys - #9 Drew Brees and #25 Reggie Bush. But MickyD suggested a Shopsmith themed name and number and I decided I had to go with "SS Mark" for the name and "5" for the number. After the Saints won the Superbowl, I had to include the Superbowl XLIV logo too.

Although my paint job is far from perfect (and I've already nicked it in a couple places but that's ok since this is going to be a workhorse and will probably have more nicks eventually), and my aluminum polishing job can't touch MickyD's, I'm still pretty darn proud of it!

Here are the obligatory garage door pics I just took.

Heath
Central Louisiana
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

Heath
Central Louisiana
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Hurray! Superb! You've got to love that!
Chris
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Beautiful Job, Heath!!

Also love the "Saints" colors and logos. Reggie has been a favorite of mine since he first got on the field at USC. Drew is a genuine class act, as you know!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

charlese wrote:Beautiful Job, Heath!!

Also love the "Saints" colors and logos. Reggie has been a favorite of mine since he first got on the field at USC. Drew is a genuine class act, as you know!

I do not think I could resist previews if I had done that! Way to go! That ain't too shabby for a canuck!!! (That is a compliment lumping you with the 'other' one)!!!!:D

I really like the 'personalization'. It ROCKS!

I like the '5' even though it is a 'V'!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

------------------------
Gold Member

Post by ------------------------ »

That is nice, very nice!! You do great work Heath! Perhaps I'll have to do a 49ers version:rolleyes:
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

Thanks for the compliments! It's taken me WAY too long to get this done.
charlese wrote:Beautiful Job, Heath!!

Drew is indeed a class act. I couldn't have hoped for a better quarterback both on and off the field.
JPG40504 wrote:I do not think I could resist previews if I had done that! Way to go! That ain't too shabby for a canuck!!! (That is a compliment lumping you with the 'other' one)!!!!:D

I really like the 'personalization'. It ROCKS!

I like the '5' even though it is a 'V'!
Thanks. :D Although, I'm not a canuck. I'm a Texan by birth, Louisianian by heritage, and American by the grace of God.
Heath
Central Louisiana