Using the lathe

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

paul heller
Gold Member

Using the lathe

Post by paul heller »

Woohoo! I just got a set of lathe tools and a live center from Shopsmith. They arrived today.

Most of my questions will be asked over in the intermediate woodworking forum as I've been doing this for many years. But as for lathe turning, well I'm a complete newbie.

It looks like I'll be self taught on this. I've seen Norm do it on TV, but never held a lathe tool in my hands before. Any advice or tips on how to get started and how to figure this out myself?

Thanks.

Paul
thewriteturn
Silver Member

Turning Newbie

Post by thewriteturn »

Hi Paul, from another Paul. If you got the instuction book when you bought th SS, there should be a section in it on turning. Very basic stuff but enough to get you going. That's what I used when I started. Practice on some softwood til your comfortable. When I started I used the book and tuned a fitted lid box, out of some scrap that I have know idea came from. The lid still snaps on and its been almost 10 yrs. My first real turnings were a chess set out of walnut and maple. Practice each piece on scrap til I was satisfied on the technique to do each, the bishop was the hardest as it was turned between centers, with the top being turned off center than back on center. I'm sure others will chime in with more info as there is know one way to learn. Practice, practice, practice and oh yea, make sure you have SHARP TOOLS. Good Luck and let us know how you do.:)

Paul
dickroan
Silver Member

Post by dickroan »

Buy and read any magazine and book you see on turning.....Learn what each tool will do, how to grip it, how to set it up and take it with you to the work shop. Rent any video on wood turning and for goodness sake catch one of the ShopSmith traveling workshops. You will be surprised how quick you'll catch on......just keep practicing...dickroan
:cool:
paul heller
Gold Member

Post by paul heller »

Thank you to both of you for the suggestions. I do indeed have the instruction book, Paul, and I'll start there.

Do you guys use a full face mask or just goggles?

I'm going to make my first test this weekend!

Paul
thewriteturn
Silver Member

Post by thewriteturn »

Hi Paul, I mostly turn small items like pens and key rings, so I usually wear goggles. The few times I turn something larger I'll wear a full safety shield. Starting out I would suggest a full shield. Good luck!:)
ksdaddio
Gold Member

Using your lathe

Post by ksdaddio »

There are some excellent books on turning methods, and by all means get one of these.

Having sharp and learning to sharpen your tools, is probably the most important thing you will need to master.

There are two methods that are discussed in the book that I purchased, Scraping and Cutting. Cutting is by far the cleanest method, but is both intimidating and takes longer to learn. "Creative Woodturning" by Dale L. Nish, if it is still in print, was what I used to get started. This book and the author will take you through sharpening methods, set up, and it has projects for you to try. Try you local library first, because I found many good books to read and use, then I made my purchase.

Have a ball. Turning is one of my favorite woodworking hobbies.
chiroindixon
Gold Member

Find a club

Post by chiroindixon »

I, too was sorely lacking in my lathe skills. While you can use all of the suggestions here with good results, for great ones, find a turning club.

I surfed around and found the American Assoc. of Woodturners (AAW) at http://www.woodturner.org/ and discovered not only their "mentor program" but it also led me to my local club.

The shared skills friendships, and quality time spent was worth joining. Not only mine, but many others skills have increased much faster than just doing it yourself.

http://www.qcwoodturners.com/ is my club website to check out. The monthly newsletter has pictures of works brought to meetings. Many you will see were done by turners with relatively short time beside a lathe.

Have fun....
chettrick
Gold Member

Post by chettrick »

I also found a turners club. I have been turning for a year now but have done some in the past. I went to my first Woodturners meeting last month and even though there were 30-40- people there, I found out that many of them just started. They were not seasoned turners like I thought. I was under the impression that I would find many to learn from but I found that I had more experience than a lot of them.

But the point is that many of them will be glad to show you how to make almost anything on a lathe. This particular group was holding a beginners turning thing a couple of weeks ago just to show how to turn spindles. And they needed a least ten lathes so they can share. So that is a lot of beginners.
ricknwood
Gold Member

Lathe help

Post by ricknwood »

Hi Paul, I'm one of three instructors for the Shopsmith Traveling Academy and would highly advise you to see when one of us is comming to your area. We all have been turning for a number of years and are very familiar with using the Mark V in that capacity. We also offer two other classes which I'm sure would be helpful to you or any other Shopsmith owners. The books I would recomend to you would be any of Keith Rowley's or Richard Raffin"s. They are both excelent. For our classes, go to owners site and education, traveling academy and then punch in your state. We book 2-3 months in advance.
Good luck, Planning, Practice and Patience. PURA VIDA Rick
paul heller
Gold Member

Post by paul heller »

Thanks, Rick. I plan to see you folks the next time you are in the area. I'll bring my son along as well since he uses my Shopsmith as much as I.

Paul