520 main table rails and aux table rails don't align

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

flackbait
Silver Member

520 main table rails and aux table rails don't align

Post by flackbait »

Hello Everybody,

I purchased a SS 500 to 520 upgrade package. The tube guides in the extruded rails on the new main table do not align by a significant amount with the tube guide in the extruded rails on the new aux table. I used the spacer that came with the kit. I'm off by by more than the adjustment slots in the aux table will allow. I also noticed that the aux table mounting tubes leave more of an over hang on one side. Is this the in-feed side or the out-feed side or does it make a difference? The instructions seem straight forward, but but vague. Maybe i am missing something. Pictures to follow.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: 520 main table rails and aux table rails don't align

Post by chapmanruss »

Posting pictures of the problem you are having will be helpful. If I understand your problem correctly, just like the Model 500 original tables there is a greater distance from the front of the table to the mounting on the Extension Table Base. There is a difference between the front Fence Rail Extrusions and the rear ones. The Fence Rail Extrusions mount to the tables with the same thickness spacer front and back. The 520 Extension Table mounts differently to the Extension Table Base than it does for the Model 500. See the picture below.

_
Extension Table Mounting.jpg
Extension Table Mounting.jpg (91.92 KiB) Viewed 204 times
Notice the nuts above and below the Mounting Base which allows for easier aligning to the Main Table. Model 500 Extension Tables needed to be shimmed between the Mounting Base and the Table casting for alignment.

I have an Extension Table that is warped and therefore will not align. Hopefully this is not the cause of your difficulty aligning the Extension Table.

Floating Tables are the same as the Extension Table without the threaded studs installed. Hopefully you received the Special Set-Up and Alignment Gauge used for installing the Fence Rails to the Tables. The PDF below shows using the Setup Gauge on the first page figure A-1.

https://shopsmith.com/wp-content/upload ... 8-FREE.pdf
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Re: 520 main table rails and aux table rails don't align

Post by HopefulSSer »

chapmanruss wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:32 pm
Notice the nuts above and below the Mounting Base which allows for easier aligning to the Main Table. Model 500 Extension Tables needed to be shimmed between the Mounting Base and the Table casting for alignment.
As an aside (and not that this helps the OP), on a 500 you can remove the bolts and install long-ish studs and nuts as are on the 510/520, then the adjustment no longer requires shims.
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466