Double tilt upgrade

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hami5297
Bronze Member

Double tilt upgrade

Post by Hami5297 »

I just attempted to upgrade my Mark V, serial number 329420. The bench tubes are too large to fit. If i order new tubes does that require a new motor and bench table?
Or can these items fit the smaller diameter bench tubes.
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Double tilt upgrade

Post by JPG »

I presume you have either a greenie or an early goldie. ONLY the bench tubes need to be replaced and 1/16" shims to provide correct c-c spacing.. Your tubes are 1 7/8 od.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Hami5297 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:50 pm I just attempted to upgrade my Mark V, serial number 329420. The bench tubes are too large to fit. If i order new tubes does that require a new motor and bench table?
Or can these items fit the smaller diameter bench tubes.
If your DT upgrade is complete it will also contain new double rack main table tubes that are intended for a Model 510 and on main table. These are the tubes that elevate the main table, the double rack allows the table to be reversed for under table operations. I've heard of people installing them in a Model 500 or pre-500 table like you likely have, but I don't recall seeing instructions for doing so.

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Hami5297,

First off, welcome to the Shopsmith Forum.

Below is the information given on the Double Tilt Upgrade online catalog page.
Note: For MARK V 520, 510, 505 / MARK 4 Only -- The MARK V 500 does not have interchangeable table support tubes.

Note: Older MARK V 500 machines (produced before 1972) that have been upgraded to the MARK V 520 or 510 table system will require two new 1-3/4" diameter bench tubes (504163). The old 1-7/8" diameter bench tubes will not fit in the new base castings.
Your Mark 5 serial number 329420 was made in 1956 (a Greenie) and would have the larger 1-7/8" OD Bench Tubes as JPG said. All the Mark 5/V Shopsmith's going back to their introduction in 1954 to today have the same diameter Way Tubes.

As for the first note from the catalog page, the original AKA Mark V 500 Table System has the posts attached differently than the Mark V 510/505, 520, 520S, Mark 7 & 4. Pages 11 & 12 of the Double Tilt Base Upgrade Instructions shows changing the Table Posts. There you can compare the difference in the Table Tie Bar and Posts to those shown in the instructions for the later Mark Models in which the pins holding the posts are easily removed. In the picture below you can see both sides of the Table Tie Bar and posts. In the first picture the pins holding the posts in can be seen indicated by the arrows and in the second picture you can see the pins do not go all the way through the Table Tie Bar as they do in the later Models 510/505, 520, Mark 7 & 4. Also, the pins are located 90 degrees off from the later model Table Assembly.

_
Greenie Table Tie Bar and Posts pins.jpg
Greenie Table Tie Bar and Posts pins.jpg (369.39 KiB) Viewed 345 times
Your Table Tie Bar and Posts should look just like this one pictured here above and below. If it does not than something has been changed at some point by either an upgrade or parts replaced.
_
Greenie Table Tie Bar and Posts side a.jpg
Greenie Table Tie Bar and Posts side a.jpg (385.33 KiB) Viewed 345 times
The pictures below show the differences of the Tables/Fence Rails between the different Models. Yours should be the 500 which is the original Table. Not all original AKA 500 tables have the extra slot. The extra Table slot was added in the late 1950's (after the Mark 2 was introduced) and discontinued in 1980.
_
mark V 500 table views 2.jpg
mark V 500 table views 2.jpg (14.39 KiB) Viewed 345 times
mark V 505 510 table views.jpg
mark V 505 510 table views.jpg (23.13 KiB) Viewed 345 times
mark 7 mark V 520 table views.jpg
mark 7 mark V 520 table views.jpg (23.14 KiB) Viewed 345 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Hami5297
Bronze Member

Post by Hami5297 »

Thank you for your reply and assistance, so I will plan to order two bench tubes of the 1 7/8 diameter to complete the double tilt upgrade.
Thank you, again
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

You already have 1 7/8" bench tubes. You need 1 3/4" tubes(only size currently available from the mother ship). You WILL need shims to ensure the correct c-c spacing. The bench tubes press against a boss in the end castings that is shorter on your castings than the current version.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:01 pm You already have 1 7/8" bench tubes. You need 1 3/4" tubes(only size currently available from the mother ship). You WILL need shims to ensure the correct c-c spacing. The bench tubes press against a boss in the end castings that is shorter on your castings than the current version.
:confused: I thought all bench tubes were the same length. Why would you need shims? :confused:
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The shims are placed against the SIDES of the tubes. The tube clamp exerts outward pressure to the tubes. The final position is determined by a small boss extending out from the outer interior surface of the end casting. The shims essentially make that boss longer. The shims are necessary since his greenie end castings have a boss 1/16" shorter than current production. The end result is the same c-c spacing. Key word there is CENTER.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

JPG wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:15 pm The shims are placed against the SIDES of the tubes. The tube clamp exerts outward pressure to the tubes. The final position is determined by a small boss extending out from the outer interior surface of the end casting. The shims essentially make that boss longer. The shims are necessary since his greenie end castings have a boss 1/16" shorter than current production. The end result is the same c-c spacing. Key word there is CENTER.
IIUC he is going to use new bench tubes and new castings on both ends (DT bases). Should not need shims for that.(?) I thought you were talking about something else.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I be guilty of overlooking that obvious detail! ;>{
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝