Is the Smart Motor Speed Dial Ring, Back-Up Spring, part# 504196

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tprowood
Gold Member

Is the Smart Motor Speed Dial Ring, Back-Up Spring, part# 504196

Post by tprowood »

I'm replacing belts, and adjusting the speed quad/dial on my recently acquired Mark V. I watched a video, and it showed a part that I didn't find on mine. Under the speed dial, there's a spring, called the Smart Motor Speed Dial Ring, Back-Up Spring, part# 504196, reference #73 per the diagram at https://shopsmith.com/service-parts/con ... rt%20Motor So, is this a necessary part, or, can I run safely without it? Not sure what it does. Thanks
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Is the Smart Motor Speed Dial Ring, Back-Up Spring, part# 504196

Post by jsburger »

Not to hijack the thread ( but I guess I am) so now SS is calling the conventional head stock a smart motor? Even with a search and replace how could that happen. I don't know what the original parts list said for these parts but I don't think the word motor was in their description for the parts in question to allow a search and replace. A quick peruse of the parts list in the above link shows over 20 references to "smart motor" parts that have nothing to do with the motor. :eek:
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

Yeah apparently Nick wants it changed from "headstock" to "Smart Motor". And apparently you've got your conventional Smart Motor and your PowerPro Smart Motor. Even though there is nothing "smart" in the all-mechanical conventional headst^h^h^h^h^h^hSmart Motor....
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
SteveMaryland
Gold Member

Post by SteveMaryland »

504196 Item 73 Spring, function is an anti-vibration device, supposed to put a drag on the speed dial to keep speed from drifting during operation.

I would classify it as a sort-of safety component but in fact the (headstock) will run without it.

I have not tried to run the (headstock) without one. Safety issue. We don't want speed to drift during operation.

And we sure don't want to call it a (headstock) anymore, do we?
Mark V, Model 555510, Serial No. 102689, purchased November 1989. Upgraded to 520
tprowood
Gold Member

Post by tprowood »

Thx all for the feedback.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Below is a picture of the spring in place on a "B" Conventional Headstock and is the same one used on a "C" Headstock. As Steve said it provides a tension or friction behind the Speed Dial. It is not used on an "A" Conventional Headstock. The "A" Headstock had a high-speed lock instead that attaches under the power switch and provided some friction too.

_
Speed Control Spring.jpg
Speed Control Spring.jpg (87.24 KiB) Viewed 365 times
I too do not understand calling the Conventional Headstock a "Smart Motor" as it has a rather plain motor inside and the only thing "special" is a mount specific to the Shopsmith Mark V tools. :confused:
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

To me, "smart" means internet-connected. By that definition, none of them are smart.
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I suspect that someone has pushed the "smart" word on Mr Cupps when talking about the PowerPro and that label has then been incorrectly applied to the other motors. We all know that the Mark V has only those smarts that the operator brings to it and sometimes that is doubtful.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Matanuska
Gold Member

Post by Matanuska »

Don't know why I'm so bothered by the swap of "smart motor" for "headstock" but I am. Guess I'm just an old codger who doesn't deal well with change!
1985 Mark V upgraded to 520 PowerPro. Shopsmith cast iron table bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, and 60's vintage 610 jigsaw SPT's. Makita 2040 15" planer, JessEm Mast-R-Lift II router table.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Matanuska wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:11 pm Don't know why I'm so bothered by the swap of "smart motor" for "headstock" but I am. Guess I'm just an old codger who doesn't deal well with change!
You are not the only old codger that feels that way.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.