Is the Smart Motor Speed Dial Ring, Back-Up Spring, part# 504196

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Is the Smart Motor Speed Dial Ring, Back-Up Spring, part# 504196

Post by edma194 »

It's still a headstock. At least in lathe mode it is. I've never heard of the power head on a drill press or other tools referred to as a headstock that I can recall. I don't see the problem calling it either a 'Smart Motor' or a 'headstock' in the right context.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

At the risk of getting WAY too far off topic....

I'd argue you'd still call it a headstock regardless of what you're doing. It's not called a headstock on other drill presses, but other drill presses aren't lathes stood on end. At its core, a Shopsmith is a lathe with a bunch of accessories that turn it into other things. So for that reason......

But even that aside, I can't think of it as a "smart" motor. Smart TV, smart refrigerator, smart toaster, smart lighting, smart washing machine, smart vacuum, etc -- all internet connected. "Conventional smart motor"? 100% mechanical!
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

It ain't change that is troublesome for old farts, it is creating irrelevant, unnecessary, totally inappropriate, buzz word objective changes to replace references to concise terms
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

HopefulSSer wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:11 pm I'd argue you'd still call it a headstock regardless of what you're doing. It's not called a headstock on other drill presses, but other drill presses aren't lathes stood on end. At its core, a Shopsmith is a lathe with a bunch of accessories that turn it into other things. So for that reason......
That's pretty much what I'm saying. 'Headstock' is a perfectly good term to use.
But even that aside, I can't think of it as a "smart" motor. Smart TV, smart refrigerator, smart toaster, smart lighting, smart washing machine, smart vacuum, etc -- all internet connected. "Conventional smart motor"? 100% mechanical!
There were 'smart' machines before internet connectivity was a thing. But I'll grant you that it's hard to label a conventional headstock as 'smart'. It's entirely manually operated. More convenient than changing belts or no speed control at all, but not in a smart way.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Deleted by author.
Last edited by BuckeyeDennis on Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

tprowood,

Sorry about your thread being turned into a discussion of the term "Smart Motor." We are always happy to help fellow Shopsmith users with questions. If you have any additional questions or even comments about how you are coming along with your Shopsmith you can continue to post them here or maybe start a new Topic and let this one fade away.

For those of you wishing to express your feelings about the term "Smart Motor" I have started a thread just for that titled "How do you really feel about the term "Smart Motor"? It can be found at the following link.

viewtopic.php?t=34980

I suggest postings here dealing just with the term "Smart Motor" be moved to the new thread and deleted from here. I know many of you, like myself, felt compelled to share your thoughts about the use of the term "Smart Motor" but are sorry for going off topic in this thread.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

How does one move a post to a different thread?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Copy and past then delete the original?
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT