I am the new one

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

TomasLou
Bronze Member

I am the new one

Post by TomasLou »

Regards, Helpful information.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: I am the new one

Post by jsburger »

Post number 3 from this BOT. Why has this account not been eliminated?
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Gold Member

Post by MODERATOR »

jsburger wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:26 pm Post number 3 from this BOT. Why has this account not been eliminated?
1) The poster's initial post did not trigger their being banned. Yes the initial post is suspect since it is meaningless, but no hidden / off topic / lewd links are present.
2) Subsequent posts on two different days two weeks later were of a similar nature but were not subject to being 'approved'.

3) No attempt by the poster has been made to alter the posts once posted.

So us gatekeepers are essentially unaware of multiple posts of this nature.

What we have here is differing opinion of what constitutes spam/reason for being banned.

There have been unfortunate instances where a legitimate member has been banned for various reasons. It requires action by Admin to correct those 'mistakes'. For that reason the threshold for being banned is higher than merely posting meaningless posts. Also the banned user has to create a new persona to communicate their situation.

As Dusty suggested perhaps you need to join our ranks.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

These are not "posters", they are a BOT that is looking for an in. Just because they have not included a link NOW does not mean that they won't 3 or 4 months from now after you have forgot about them and the thread is dead. These people know what they are doing to advance their agenda.

Since you don't think the first post was SPAM and was approved of course subsequent SPAM posts will show up. Do you really think that all these "members" joining with the same subject and content are really legitimate users?

Being aware of multiple posts of these BOTs or whoever should be part of your duty as a Moderator if their first post is suspect.

Please give an example of a legitimate user that got banned and then reinstated because their first post was deemed SPAM.

If you can't see that these identical BOT posts are SPAM there is no reason for me to join the Moderators.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
admin
Gold Member

Post by admin »

We have had forum users call customer service after a first post has been marked SPAM. Generally those who take time to call are given a 2nd chance. I don't follow them long-term, so I can't speak to the eventual outcome.

This may not be relevant (I haven't been following this thread), just saw your request for an example.
Shopsmith I.T.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

It is VERY relevant!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

It is my general opinion that :
Spam is any inappropriate or unwelcome message that's pushed out to a large number of users.

By this definition, there are actual posts on this forum that I consider spam. However, a problem arises when I try to push my opinions onto others who might not see it to be either inappropriate or unwelcome.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

The original definition of spam was "unsolicited commercial email". That definition has been broadened of course to include things other than email. But to me, to be spam it still has to be 1. Unsolicited, and 2. Commercial or commercial-adjacent. So SEO hacking (link spam) and for example political campaigning emails/text msgs/etc would qualify. Fortunately we don't have a problem with political campaigning here....

But to me just a differing opinion would not qualify.
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

And to add: all these "I'm glad I finally registered" posts wouldn't qualify either but they're so suspicious that in my mind they can only exist to be the foundation of future spam
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466