cleaning and preparing tubes for rebuild.

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DOWeaver
Gold Member

cleaning and preparing tubes for rebuild.

Post by DOWeaver »

I could use a little help . I remember reading about some chemical that you could use if the rust pits on tubes where deeper than you could sand out. Paint it on then sand or buff off the excess. I want ot say it was called petrol? IF anyone knows what I can't remember. Thanks. Product name please. Thank DOW
Dale
1992 Mark V with 510 upgrades All SPT Machine in black II
1950 #24616 10 E Demo All Parts and extras used as drill press. Teresa
1951 #45246 10 ER SS Refurbished Shelly + Brent
Early 1951 #47982 10 ER SS Refurbished
Late 1951 #53316 10 ER SS Refurbished
Also addicted tool collector
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: cleaning and preparing tubes for rebuild.

Post by DLB »

DOWeaver wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:46 pm I could use a little help . I remember reading about some chemical that you could use if the rust pits on tubes where deeper than you could sand out. Paint it on then sand or buff off the excess. I want ot say it was called petrol? IF anyone knows what I can't remember. Thanks. Product name please. Thank DOW
I believe you are thinking of Penetrol.(?) Consider getting rid of the rust first with Evaporust or alternative.

- David
chiroindixon
Gold Member

Post by chiroindixon »

To show you are a real ShopSmith guy, try Nick Engler's solution.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYgnHDB3VNI
You might have a great story to tell.
:)
Doc
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Penetrol isn't a filler but it will stop deep corrosion from getting worse. Wax will fill pits somewhat if you want a smoother surface.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
DOWeaver
Gold Member

Post by DOWeaver »

Thanks all. Have already finished the tubes on five SS but couldn't remember the name of the stuff. Needed the name because I also rework tools for hand tool woodworking and sometimes want them to look better before paint or taking them out for use. Thanks again DOW
Dale
1992 Mark V with 510 upgrades All SPT Machine in black II
1950 #24616 10 E Demo All Parts and extras used as drill press. Teresa
1951 #45246 10 ER SS Refurbished Shelly + Brent
Early 1951 #47982 10 ER SS Refurbished
Late 1951 #53316 10 ER SS Refurbished
Also addicted tool collector
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

FWIW shallow pits are not a functional defect. It is more of an appearance thing.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

DOWeaver,

You said,
I remember reading about some chemical that you could use if the rust pits on tubes where deeper than you could sand out.
I believe you already know this but others looking for advice may not. Sanding of the Way Tubes is not the best method for rust removal and evening out rust pits. Removing metal from the Way Tubes decreases the diameter and thereby causes the Headstock and Carriage to not fit as well, reducing the precision of the Shopsmith. This would be especially true if deep sanding was done only in areas of heavy pitting leaving the Way Tube with a uneven diameter over the length of the tube. Because they are a "polished" bare metal tube some very light sanding can be done. I have done it myself for Shopsmith restorations after the rust is chemically removed.

As JPG said, For What It's Worth "shallow pits are not a functional defect. It is more of an appearance thing." As much as we like to have our tools looking sharp there are things that are better left unchanged. This is not to say leave them unprotected.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

My recommendation is to remove rust by electrolysis and minimal polishing then rust prevention(waxing)..
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

JPG wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:37 pm My recommendation is to remove rust by electrolysis and minimal polishing.
Do you use a bathtub full of acid for tubes?
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I need to alter my recommendation!

Although electrolysis is 'good', using evaporust is better with long tubes. Evaporust reacts with rust by a chelation process that leaves the base metal(steel/iron) unaffected.

A piece of pvc sewer pipe(2") with one end plugged and a smaller pipe plugged at both ends to take up internal space allows 'soaking' the SS tube in about one pint of evaporust.

It will remove rust over night unless grossly rusted(crusty).

Auto supply stores is a potential source for the evaporust.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝