Stair railing

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Stair railing

Post by dusty »

Is it considered SPAM only because it contains a link to a site that is selling a wooden craft item?

Would it be SPAM if the originator was a member of the forum -- which he was or he could not have posted?

Again, IMO, what constitutes spam is not clearly defined/understood!
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

I would say it's spam if it's reasonably obvious that the primary reason someone (or something in the case of bots) joined is to post the link and has no real connection to this site
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

It's a fraudulent post. Spam may be nothing but unwanted advertising. This is worse.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
Jkazak54
Bronze Member

Post by Jkazak54 »

Very nice looking rolling pins. I'll bet they are a bugger to clean, though.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Along with what others have said it is also SPAM because the subject of the post and the contents do not match. As Ed says it is an attempt at advertising a web site to get it higher on the search results.

Whether a poster is a member or not is moot. You have to be a member to post. I thought since the advent of the moderators all first time posts were screened.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

jsburger wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:19 pm Along with what others have said it is also SPAM because the subject of the post and the contents do not match. As Ed says it is an attempt at advertising a web site to get it higher on the search results.

Whether a poster is a member or not is moot. You have to be a member to post. I thought since the advent of the moderators all first time posts were screened.
I've been a member of this forum since 2006 and I believe there has always been a Moderator; however, I do not believe the early moderators were much concerned with spam. The forum just did not experience much of that.

Strangely enough the OP titled this thread (Stair Railing) and introduced it with an imagine of the rolling pin while at the same time claiming to be the designer. Chances are that no one would have been the wiser but for DarrenDD's keen eye.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

MHO regarding what is spam is the intent of the poster. I think that nails down when a link etc. is spam.

Now all we need is a crystal ball to determine intent. However a little common sense should be adequate.

I am inclined to give a new poster the benefit of any inadequate proof until sufficient proof appears.

Yes that yields a lot of "Glad I finally registered" posts.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange