Dragged out a shopsmith

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Dragged out a shopsmith

Post by edma194 »

ArcticsShop wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:59 am
edma194 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:41 am
That seems like a last resort and you've only just begun the process. Since you used the lathe feature, how well were you able to align centers on the headstock and tailstock?
I was able to align those to as close to perfect as I could imagine getting when viewed from both the side and from above. It took a few attempts but it came together.
Ok, we can now see you have the 500 table system. If you had no trouble aligning the lathe centers you can still check your measurements again with the headstock and table in different positions on the way tubes. If there are no other alignment issues you can detect then perhaps you will need to provide more adjustment space in the trunnion bolt holes to get it right.

That extra wooden device is interesting though. I assume that was intended to improve table stability, and I would assume you've made sure that wasn't a factor in the alignment either.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
chiroindixon
Gold Member

Post by chiroindixon »

Here is an off beat YT video with a guy in your position. Bought a COMPLETE ShopSmith and had to figure out ALL of the tools/toys.

Enjoy the video.... and the "puzzle". :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28moKsafMHA

Doc
ArcticsShop
Silver Member

Post by ArcticsShop »

“That extra wooden device is interesting though. I assume that was intended to improve table stability, and I would assume you've made sure that wasn't a factor in the alignment either”

That is just a photo I grabbed off the internet, since I’ve been negligent in taking my own pictures. So the brace isn’t something mine has. I will have to check out the alignment in a few other locations down the tubes -just to rule out a bent spot that is something I hadn’t considered.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

ArcticsShop,

It looks like you have really dove into getting your Shopsmith in working condition. Alignment on the Shopsmith Mark V itself is a great starting point but do consider lubricating the needed parts since it was stored for a long time. Follow the recommendations in the manual but consider doubling up the amount of oil used going into the Motor and Idler Shaft Sheaves. It's the extra TLC it may need.

From what you have posted so far you have a Mark V with the original Table System that predates the introduction of the Mark V 510/505 Table System and the original Table System being called the 500. If you want to know when it was made post the serial number or refer to the chart below.

_
Mark V Serial Numbers.pdf
(138.9 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
If your serial number is lower than SS18859 than it was made prior to January 1978. Starting with Shopsmith Inc. in 1973 those serial number have SS as a prefix. The serial number along with other information like the manufacturer is found on the Vent Plate on the Belt Cover where the lower shaft comes through.

You have expressed a desire to upgrade the Table System to the 510 in the future. Two things I would recommend. First get your Mark V into good working condition with lubrication and alignment then use it and learn how it functions. As you already said there is a lot to know about using these tools. Second consider which Table system to upgrade to. The 510/505 and the 520 use the same Table and Carriage but the difference is in the Fence. The Mark V 510/505 Table Fence has been discontinued whereas the Mark V 520 Pro Fence as it is called is still used and also the Table System used on the Mark 7 & 4. There are a lot of Mark V 510 Table parts available on the used market and are generally cheaper to purchase than the 520 system. Something to note here the Mark 7 introduced the Double Tilt Bench Ends and have double sided Table Posts to reverse the Table for under Table Routing and Shaping. This is now standard on not only the Mark 7 but the Mark 4 and Mark V 520S.

I am not going to recommend one Mark V Table System over the other. There has been a lot of discussions about which different users prefer. Since I have not used the Mark V 510/505 Table System I don't have an opinion on it. The only Mark V 505 tool I purchased was upgraded before using it to a 520 to use the same Table System I already had with my Mark V 520.

You mentioned having a Jig Saw (Scroll Saw) so if it is the Jig Saw a word of warning - DO NOT USE IT WITHOUT OIL IN THE GEAR HOUSING. Below is a picture of a Magna/Shopsmith Jig Saw for reference. It differs from the Scroll Saw in how it functions and maintenance needed.

_
Jig Saw 1957 Greenie.jpg
Jig Saw 1957 Greenie.jpg (84.21 KiB) Viewed 571 times
This one made in 1957 may not look exactly like yours which is likely gray with a black arm but functions the same. Hopefully you have manuals for all the SPT's (Jig Saw, Bandsaw, etc.) that came with the Mark V.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
larryhrockisland
Gold Member

Post by larryhrockisland »

edma194 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:38 am

That extra wooden device is interesting though. I assume that was intended to improve table stability, and I would assume you've made sure that wasn't a factor in the alignment either.
Here is more information on the table brace.
https://www.instructables.com/Shopsmith ... ble-Table/
Larry Hargrove
Rock Island, Ok
1981 Mark V 500>510>520(98922)
19?? Mark V 500>Power Pro headstock 556176 06-17-11 factory exchange program original serial unknown
1957 Mark V 500 (350389)
1953 10ER
Another 10ER
Bandsaw 2012 Jointer 2012
Bandsaw, Jointer, other goodies
Craftsman table saw, Delta 46-460 Midi lathe
SS 6” Belt Sander w/power stand 1970’s?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Ignore the posts above regarding the 510/520 table mounting holes.

It appears you have a 500. I hope you have those set screws on both sides of the fence backed out of the way(removed is better while aligning).

We ARE dealing with a Shopsmith and NOT a clone?

A pix of the entire machine will answer that question.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ArcticsShop
Silver Member

Post by ArcticsShop »

I do have the manuals for most of it. It’s a mildly daunting enough task to get through them. I’m trying to just take manageable bites out of the material.

One thing that I noticed today while fiddling around with the system is that both the blade and the table significantly shift when the tube clamps are engaged, which surprised me a fair bit. I’ll have to dig out my dial indicator to see just how much.

I got the table aligned to the blade as near perfect as I could make it, squared the fence to the table, and things would still end up in places other than where I set them if the power head clamps or the table were loosened then retightened (without moving the unit from left to right) so I’m a bit flummoxed by that.

The pivot point for the table and the post clamp tubes are all tightened and not sloppy/worn out etc. their sockets are all tight. The unit appears to have seen very little use. I am going to inspect the frame tubes next just to see if they are true and properly seated and tightened at the legs.

Anyone else have ideas as to what causes a situation like I described?
ArcticsShop
Silver Member

Post by ArcticsShop »

Image[/img]
JPG wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:50 am Ignore the posts above regarding the 510/520 table mounting holes.

It appears you have a 500. I hope you have those set screws on both sides of the fence backed out of the way(removed is better while aligning).

We ARE dealing with a Shopsmith and NOT a clone?

A pix of the entire machine will answer that question.
I’ll get one tomorrow, I’ve got pieces and parts strewn everywhere lol on the plus side there’s a lot of tooling. On the downside, there’s a lot to sort through
Attachments
IMG_3858.jpeg
IMG_3858.jpeg (513.36 KiB) Viewed 465 times
IMG_3859.jpeg
IMG_3859.jpeg (616.09 KiB) Viewed 465 times
IMG_3860.jpeg
IMG_3860.jpeg (494.22 KiB) Viewed 465 times
IMG_3863.jpeg
IMG_3863.jpeg (492.24 KiB) Viewed 465 times
ArcticsShop
Silver Member

Post by ArcticsShop »

Proof of existence and authenticity is now posted, the serial number indicates a build date of March 1983.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

You done good!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange