Anybody Using a Microjig

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Anybody Using a Microjig

Post by DLB »

edma194 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:47 pm I assume you mean the GRR-RIPPER: https://www.microjig.com/products/grr-r ... ocQAvD_BwE

I recall negative comments about their ZEROPLAY miter bars.
I am one of those that had negative comments about their miter bars. Mine were slightly too wide for the SS slots. But this was easily corrected by sanding them slightly narrower using the conical disc sander. They're still adjustable and can be adjusted to fit either SS or a 'standard' miter slot. So that is still a negative comment, mine had to be modified to work as advertised, but I like the product and would choose it for some jigs. IIRC responses indicate that some fit without modification and some don't.

- David
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Just bought one today, gripper 3D advanced. Have not put it together yet but look forward to trying it out.

Too bad they are no longer made in the U.S., but Taiwan is a good second best.

John
oso2you
Gold Member

Post by oso2you »

Thumbs down on the miter bar. I was going to use it on the new sled I made but the thing does not fit properly in the miter slot without sanding the edges. Very disappointed in this. Will use something else.
SS 520, SS band saw. Grizzly cabinet saw, jointer, drill press,14" bandsaw, belt/disc sander. Delta 13" planer. Hitachi router in router table. Old Craftsman radial arm saw.
oso2you
Gold Member

Post by oso2you »

I realize that a bit of sanding is not the end of the world but I would think a company named "Microjig" would be more exacting. Maybe I'm becoming and old grouch. I'll ask my wife..............yep, I'm an old grouch apparently. :)
SS 520, SS band saw. Grizzly cabinet saw, jointer, drill press,14" bandsaw, belt/disc sander. Delta 13" planer. Hitachi router in router table. Old Craftsman radial arm saw.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I hope you do realize that the SS miter bar is NOT the same as just about the rest of the universe. Most are 3/4", but the SS is slightly narrower.

So rethink the microjig criticism?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

JPG wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:48 am I hope you do realize that the SS miter bar is NOT the same as just about the rest of the universe. Most are 3/4", but the SS is slightly narrower.

So rethink the microjig criticism?
They advertise the miter bars as being compatible with Shopsmith, so I think the criticism is fair. The bar is adjustable in width. I talked to their CS and they sent me replacements, but I don't recall if I tried them. By then I had tweaked the width a few thou on mine using the conical sander.

- David
ssuel
Gold Member

Post by ssuel »

The zero play miter bar by MicroJig does fit A ShopSmith slot. The MicroJig zero play is adjustable I am successfully using for a few special jigs
ssuel
Gold Member

Post by ssuel »

My main table is a 520 top
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

In March 2022 I read comments on Amazon showing I wasn't the only one having the issue and contacted Microjig CS with my measurements and results. He indicated that they were aware of the issue and "We have designed, and are close to releasing, a updated version of the ZeroPlay that addresses this issue." So my comments are about the version I received, one of which got close to the advertised 0.730" minimum width (actual 0.732") and was snug in the SS track and one of which missed that minimum by about 0.012".

Other members indicated a combination of success and failure prior to the updated version, and my pair as an example varied by ten thou between the two of them. I just checked the replacement that Microjig sent me (non-updated) and I could probably get it in the slot but it is way too tight to use. Prior to the updated version, it seems to be hit and miss. BuckeyeDennis, who has developed some expertise on injection molding, made an interesting observation as to possible cause here: (viewtopic.php?p=296142#p296142) .

- David
ssuel
Gold Member

Post by ssuel »

Guess I was lucky on the ones I bought