Stop Collars - the accessory I should have bought years ago

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

Stop Collars - the accessory I should have bought years ago

Post by algale »

I was inspired by the Shopsmith free-shipping on cyber Monday to finally buy some extra stop collars. These are the simple ones like you find on your tail stock, not the adjustable ones (I own one of those as well.

Long time forum members have been singing the praises and uses of these for years but I never got around to buying them because they seemed pretty boring.

I put one stop collar on each leg of the main table and one on each leg of my extension table of my 520. It may be overkill to have a stop collar on each leg, but that's what I did.

I've always found it fussy to use the extension table with the main table. The bores for the extension table legs have some play, so one end or the other of the table can sag slightly (and the table can pitch left or right slightly) until clamped. Thus, when the front edge of the extension table is level to the main table, the rear edge of the extension table isn't necessarily dead level with the main table. Normally, I use two levels simultaneously and futz with the extension table until both side are level to the main table, holding the table with one hand while I tighten the clamp. With the stop collars now installed and adjusted it's just drop the main table in, drop the extension table in, tighten the clamps and everything is dead on. No fuss, no muss.

Count me among the converted. I should have bought these a long time ago. I can see they will make my most common sawing operations much easier to set up.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

edflorence
Platinum Member

Re: Stop Collars - the accessory I should have bought years ago

Post by edflorence »

100% in agreement...they are extremely useful. And, when combined with feeler gauges, can in some situations also be used to make precise adjustments almost as easily as the adjustable collar. Which I also own...
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

edflorence wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:52 pm 100% in agreement...they are extremely useful. And, when combined with feeler gauges, can in some situations also be used to make precise adjustments almost as easily as the adjustable collar. Which I also own...
Good idea. I have some metal automotive body shims from Horrible Freight that should play well. Otherwise I'll make some wood shims.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

In a pinch you can make a stop collar from a 1/2" long piece of PVC pipe and a band clamp.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
CreekWood
Gold Member

Post by CreekWood »

edma194 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:32 pm In a pinch you can make a stop collar from a 1/2" long piece of PVC pipe and a band clamp.
If you took two of these improvised stop collars, but cut from one scrap of PVC at a sight angle, would you have an adjustable stop collar?

And with this discussion, I'm realizing I missed a free shipping opportunity. I did grab a band saw bearing upgrade, though.
Mark V 500 upgraded to 520
Delta 36-725 TS
Kobalt Sliding Miter Saw
Bosch 1617EVS & Router Table
Craftsman 351.23371 Planer
Performax 16-32 Thickness Sander (finally tracking right!)
...and a growing collection of traditional hand tools.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

CreekWood wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:50 pm If you took two of these improvised stop collars, but cut from one scrap of PVC at a sight angle, would you have an adjustable stop collar?
You have some sort of adjustable collar but I think just one collar with a set of auto shims will do the job better.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
pngeezer
Bronze Member

Post by pngeezer »

edflorence wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:52 pm 100% in agreement...they are extremely useful. And, when combined with feeler gauges, can in some situations also be used to make precise adjustments almost as easily as the adjustable collar. Which I also own...
Great tip about using a feeler gauge!! I’m making new kitchen cabinet doors and really having trouble getting the thickness of the tenons cut consistently. When I saw your tip I tried it today and it really works great! I do have an adjustable stop collar coming but this is a big help.

Thanks, Jim
SteveMaryland
Gold Member

Post by SteveMaryland »

I understand why we would want to use stop collars in pairs - to prevent cocking of the table due to slop - of which a Shopsmith has plenty.

So I also recently bought a few extra stop collars (PN 501439) from Shopsmith. They arrived yesterday. To my chagrin, these collars are missing setscrews.

How do you like that, selling a setscrew collar without the setscrew! I guess I "forgot" to buy the setscrews from Shopsmith also, shame on me...

Yes, I now see that the setscrew itself (item 292, PN 222458) is listed separately, but sheesh...

The thread is 5/16-18. Another trip to the bigbox.
Mark V, Model 555510, Serial No. 102689, purchased November 1989. Upgraded to 520
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I can understand selling the set screws as a separate item ...BUT...selling the stop collar without the set screw is a different matter and especially at the price SS has on items like set screws ($3.99 each). I would be on the phone to customer service immediately.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

SteveMaryland wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:38 am I understand why we would want to use stop collars in pairs - to prevent cocking of the table due to slop - of which a Shopsmith has plenty.

So I also recently bought a few extra stop collars (PN 501439) from Shopsmith. They arrived yesterday. To my chagrin, these collars are missing setscrews.

How do you like that, selling a setscrew collar without the setscrew! I guess I "forgot" to buy the setscrews from Shopsmith also, shame on me...

Yes, I now see that the setscrew itself (item 292, PN 222458) is listed separately, but sheesh...

The thread is 5/16-18. Another trip to the bigbox.
My recent purchase come with the set screws. I believe this is probably just an unfortunate oversight on their part. Agree with dusty -- call customer service.