Great Idea or Just Madness...

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Matanuska
Gold Member

Re: Great Idea or Just Madness...

Post by Matanuska »

Thanks for the pictures - now I understand what you have in mind.
1985 Mark V upgraded to 520 PowerPro. Shopsmith cast iron table bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, and 60's vintage 610 jigsaw SPT's. Makita 2040 15" planer, JessEm Mast-R-Lift II router table.
tfrayne
Gold Member

Re: Great Idea or Just Madness...

Post by tfrayne »

I am currently building the drawers. Each of the three cabinets will have four drawers. Two at 4.25" on top, a 6" in the middle, and a 10" on the bottom. The drawers are each about 14" deep except one of the 6" drawers will be extra deep to store lathe chisels.

While I am trying to do most of this project on my Mk V, my box joint jig will only work on my other table saw.

I built all of the smaller 4.25" drawers first. Tonight I started on the first of the three 10" drawers. Herein I found my error.

As best I can figure, I do not have quite enough of a tight fit on my spacing for each notch cut. It did not show itself on the smaller drawers other than a slightly tight fit. However, on the larger drawers, the error shows itself readily. Fortunately I only did one drawer, so I can fix this with only having to recut that one drawer. I will have to run a longer test cut to ensure I have corrected my error before moving on.

Box joints are simple and tedious; a recipe for errors and accidents. I am moving slowly on this part and if I have time in the evening, I only do one. At my slow and methodical pace, each drawer takes about 30-40 minutes to cut.

I already nearly ruined one of the smaller drawers. I was all set up to make a cut and realized I had positioned it wrong in the jig.

The last time I did box joints on plywood I had a good deal of blowout. To remedy that on this project, I am using scrap pieces behind each workpiece.
Attachments
Lazy Susan 26.jpeg
Lazy Susan 26.jpeg (76.32 KiB) Viewed 483 times
Lazy Susan 27.jpeg
Lazy Susan 27.jpeg (68.95 KiB) Viewed 483 times
IT IS I, ENSIGN PULVER!!

AND I JUST THREW YOUR STINKIN PALM TREE OVERBOARD!!