New Shopsmith Owner

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: New Shopsmith Owner

Post by JPG »

Stupid location! JMO
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Restore
Gold Member

Post by Restore »

Mystery solved…you were correct as the old power switch is a perfect fit.

I am noticing a concerning pattern on this forum that SS restoring is habit forming, apparently it’s also highly contagious because I am already thinking about my next one to restore before this one is even done.
Attachments
PXL_20231007_113457305.jpg
PXL_20231007_113457305.jpg (133.97 KiB) Viewed 2199 times
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

WARNING: Restoring Shopsmith can be habit forming. Since I bought my first Shopsmith Model 10ER I have restored 23 additional Model 10's and currently have 2 more here to restore plus a Mark 2, a Model 4E Jointer and other accessories. The picture below is a prime example of how habit forming it can be.

_
4708-8865-R55582-R57376-R64000 full.jpg
4708-8865-R55582-R57376-R64000 full.jpg (154.69 KiB) Viewed 2185 times
The above picture was taken in 2016 when I happened to have five Model 10's restored before some were sold. The one in back is the first Model 10 I restored and still have. I kept the one in front for a while and the other 3 were sold soon after the picture was taken.

And let's not forget the twins Model 10E serial numbers 1076 and 1077.

_
1076 and 1077.jpg
1076 and 1077.jpg (199.98 KiB) Viewed 2185 times
These are two of the original 250 Shopsmith Model 10E's that started it all.

As for the switch being in the Logo/Serial Number Plate this can only happen on the later Model 10ER's having the version 7 Headstock that has an access hole behind the Logo/Serial Number Plate unless the hole is drilled through the plate and the Headstock casting itself.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Restore
Gold Member

Post by Restore »

That a nice collection, kida reminds me of classic car collecting.

Have you considered joining a chapter of SS Anonymous and going through the 12 steps recover process? :)

So what is the demographics of the customers buying these refurbished machines? Are they younger and new to the machines or older nostalgia buyers maybe? I was talking with Skip the other day and he mentioned a 92-year-old customer who recently upgraded some parts on a 10ER machine that he was still actively using. :eek:

I was just wondering if some younger SS fans are taking up the hobby to sort of back fill the older members, I for one would very much like to spend time with grandkids making project on the old SS and pass it on but will there be anyone taking up the torch like Skip and the like to support the machines?
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I have had all ages buy my restorations. The Model 10E I sold last weekend is going to the 75-year-old father-in-law of the buyer. Coincidently that Model 10E is also 75 years old.

As for SS Anonymous I am not sure I need them yet. My wife helps keep me from going to crazy as to the number Shopsmith Tools I keep and even the number I have on hand to restore and resell. :D

I don't know of anyone who restores Shopsmith's for customers like Skip has done in the past. I buy Shopsmith's in need of work to restore as a hobby and then resell them. Since I can't keep all of them reselling them helps to recover some of the costs in restoring them to keep my hobby going.

Now having said that, I do have a large collection of Magna/Shopsmith tools I have kept and the list below does not include everything I have. For example I have more than one of some SPT's. The picture below shows three of the four Bandsaws I have. Shown is a Greenie, a Goldie and an upgraded 1998 plus I have a 2006 not shown.

_
Accessory Stand - Bandsaws.jpg
Accessory Stand - Bandsaws.jpg (198.04 KiB) Viewed 2111 times
Maybe I need to rethink SS Anonymous. :rolleyes:
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Restore
Gold Member

Post by Restore »

Chapmanruss,
Glad to see you got back on my post as I was a little concerned that you had misinterpreted my joke and had taken offense.

I am impressed with your collection & can definitely see how this could be habit forming, fortunately my wife also TRIES to keep me playing in bounds…. After seeing that pic of your historical band saw collection thinking maybe you should consider attending at least one SS Anonymous meeting. “The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.”

On a serious note I need help locating replacement springs for my speed changer, as you can see in the pic one of them got the squeeze play on it, fortunately the casting ear did not break off, would like to make sure of getting springs with the correct compression, any recommendations?
Attachments
PXL_20231009_191140313.jpg
PXL_20231009_191140313.jpg (203.15 KiB) Viewed 2093 times
Restore
Gold Member

Post by Restore »

Oh forgot to mention that my wife wanted Rustoleum Midnight blue Satin on the machine, soooo in the interest of compromise we got her color ;->....I worked in a machine shop for years so grey was not an option for me, I think the color really sets off the polished parts.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

That outer spring on the Speed Changer has definitely seen better days. I haven't had to replace a spring on any of the Speed Changers I have restored so I haven't sought out a source for them. It isn't pretty but it looks like it can still function as is. The purpose of the springs is to protect the castings from breaking when getting to the top or bottom end to the speed range. Once either spring starts to compress it is time to STOP turning the crank. You could try hardware stores that carry a larger selection of nuts, bolts, washers, etc. You may be able to find something close enough there, Just make sure it is the same length, which you could cut to length, and needs the same or less force to compress it. Another thing to look at is the lock nut on the end of the crank shaft. Does it still "lock" well? If the nylon is worn you may want to replace it too.
Russ

Mark V 520
Restore
Gold Member

Post by Restore »

Thanks for info, will look to replace springs & lock nuts just to be safe.

Oh and you just cost me $225 today, after seeing a pic of your 10ER with a Jointer I had to have one so found the complete mounting kit on Ebay today, just need to find a good 4E planer now.....I read your post on the jointer mounting subject and would have prefered to go with option #3, an adapter mount from Skip but he lost the supplier making them for him and didn't want to pass up on this rare mount :(
SS10ER JOINTER MOUNT.jpg
SS10ER JOINTER MOUNT.jpg (37.68 KiB) Viewed 2043 times

Ran across what appears to be a great deal on two nice SS with LOTS of stocking stuffers for $400...Ufortunately too far of a drive for me.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/314757807849
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Not all Model 10's had the Model 4E Jointer added to them as some owners used the Model 620 Jointer instead.

Besides the Magna Model 4E 4" Jointer made specifically for the Model 10's the Magna Model 620 4" Jointer with Mounting Posts to go on Mark 5's also still had the mounting holes for the Jointer Mounting Kit you purchased. The Magna Model 4E 4" Jointer was, more or less, discontinued and the Magna Model 620 replaced it with a change only to the Base/Outfeed Table adding the Mounting Posts for attaching to the Mark 5 and the color from gray to green. The Model 10 Jointer Mounting Kit was still available for some time after the Model 10ER was discontinued when the Mark 5 replaced it. This and the holes still in the Model 620 4" Jointer for the Jointer Mounting Kit allowed Model 10E and 10ER owners to add the 4" Jointer to their tool. When the second Power Mount Adapter Kit (item 11 920) for the Model 10's came out adding the "B" Adapter and the longer Jointer Mounting Tubes the Model 10 (Headrest) Jointer Mounting Kit was discontinued. When the Magna Model 620C jointer replaced the 620 it no longer had the holes for the Model 10 Jointer Mounting Kit.
Russ

Mark V 520