Bosch buys Freud

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

cincinnati
Platinum Member

Bosch buys Freud

Post by cincinnati »

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Now that is interesting. I believe Freud made router bits and blades for other companies, I wonder how that will shake out???

The number of player in the tool world is getting smaller every day.

Bosch that also owns Skill Freud
Black & Decker that also owns Dewalt, Porter Cable, Delta
OTW that also owns Ryobi, Milwakee, Ridgid, and I think some off brand names that come from China
Makita
Hitachi
General
Laquna
Mini Max
Jet
and new comer Steel City and some lessor players.

And last but not least Shopsmith.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
pinkiewerewolf
Platinum Member

Post by pinkiewerewolf »

That is interesting.
I've talked to several members about the unfortunate instances of quality companies being bought by larger corporations and the level of quality falling below previous standards. B&D and their purchases being an example.

It may eventually open up the market for newcomers, or rejuvenated companies to make an entrance, if the mergers/acquisitions negatively effect the quality of the products under those corporate umbrellas.
Look at the niche that Grizzly has made for itself, Steel City may follow those lines to become a real player in the industry.
Keep on hanging in there Shopsmith, we'll try to weather this storm together!

(I'm not saying that Bosch is known for undermining quality products, but I think B&D has made that a part of their legacy.)
John, aka. Pinkie. 1-520, 1-510 & a Shorty, OPR. 520 upgrade, Band Saw, Jig Saw, scroll saw, Jointer, Jointech Saw Train.:) Delta Benchtop planer, Makita LS1016L 10" sliding compound miter saw, Trojan manf. (US Made)Miter saw work center, MiniMax MM16 bandsaw.
Squire of the Shopsmith. ...hmmmm, maybe knave, pawn, or wretch would be more appropriate for me.:D
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Pinkie

I disagree I don't think it is fact these companies are bought that lowers quality I think it is an example of laziness and greed.

Instead of increasing productivity through innovative ideas people have learned they can cut corners and make money. How did Ford build a business by importing products he could sell cheap? No! He thought up ways to lower production costs. We have gotten so lazy that we don't even want to think all we want is more money, so we import.

Frankly I don't consider Grizzly or Steel City since all they are selling is high priced imports. You can basically get the same thing buying the lower priced imports with less known names if you want to support Chinese economy. However since ours is headed for the dumper you may want to reconsider that move.

One last thing the market determines the quality of what will be sold. If we Americans would ever get past the "I gotta have it" metality and start demanding quality and US made products we would have them.

If I need something and I go buy it and all I can find is junk, I don't just buy it. I tell them I'm not going to buy it because it is junk and then I either go find a way to do without it or I do more research and find something of quality that will do the job.

It is like Shopsmith in th 80's they let their quality go to pot so I stopped buying. It wasn't until recently that I have restarted buying from Shopsmith. I believe much of the problem Shopsmith is experiencing today is from decisions to cut quality in the 80's. They lost a lot of faithful customers back then. bvut hey times were good people were buying anything offered on the market and whiz kids said hey let us cash in on this. So the produced junk. What they all forgot was Shopsmith was built on quality and SS owners demanded quality. If they continue this move to imported products they are going to get bite again. And I don't think they will recover.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
pinkiewerewolf
Platinum Member

Post by pinkiewerewolf »

Ok, I guess some clarification is necessary here.
I wasn't advocating buying imported items, I was merely giving examples. Shopsmith is the only company (that I know of) that tries to use mostly American made equipment for the home woodworker.
I was in no way advocating that Shopsmith follow B&D's lead and move production overseas.

I will point out that Grizzly has made a name for itself through offering products that home woodworkers have been able to afford (if you want to buy a machine that only does one thing, unlike a Mark V.) and offered outstanding customer service. Steel City has the opportunity to follow Grizzly's lead but only time will tell.

Here is what I was implying, Shopsmith will be in a perfect spot to capitalize on the lack of American made products, and the lack of quality that companies like B&D bring to the table these days.
Has anyone read the user reviews for Delta and P&C equipment in the past couple of years? There are continually increasing negative comment toward their quality.
And who owns them?
B&D
I do think Delta may have seen the light as the new Unisaw is to be manufactured in Tn.

Sorry for the confusion, I will stay clear of these discussions in the future as it is far to easy to be taken in the wrong light.
John, aka. Pinkie. 1-520, 1-510 & a Shorty, OPR. 520 upgrade, Band Saw, Jig Saw, scroll saw, Jointer, Jointech Saw Train.:) Delta Benchtop planer, Makita LS1016L 10" sliding compound miter saw, Trojan manf. (US Made)Miter saw work center, MiniMax MM16 bandsaw.
Squire of the Shopsmith. ...hmmmm, maybe knave, pawn, or wretch would be more appropriate for me.:D
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

The only thing I can surmise from the sale is that soon after the unfortunate death of the Old Man- the son who was supposed to carry on the traditions (article in Popular woodworking - posted here a few weeks ago) , got an offer he couldn't turn down.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

So you artists out there... when you mix red and blue what color do you get????

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Purple will be the color.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Pinky
I apologize if you think I was jumping on you and I really didn't read any implications into your post. I just used way to many words to say I don't think it is fact that the tools are made by B&D that makes them cheap, I think it is the fact they are made in China.

The mindset in American manufactures is make it cheaper rather than find innovative ways to cut production costs.

Again sorry Pinky please don't be afraid to express you opinions.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

pinkiewerewolf wrote:...Sorry for the confusion, I will stay clear of these discussions in the future as it is far to easy to be taken in the wrong light.
Them are fight'n words Pinkie! If you are taken the wrong way, just straight'n us out! You have orders to KNOT stay clear of these discussions! :D
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.