Router lift or table router?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tdubnik
Platinum Member

Router lift or table router?

Post by tdubnik »

I am debating with myself about the merits of buying a router lift for a new router table I am planning to build. The thing is that some of the new routers such as the Triton Triton MOF001KC/MOF001C seem to have lift capabilities built in. Unless there is a major shortcoming this saves quite a bit of money over a new router and a seperate lift. It allows for one wrench above the table bit changes and can be used as a plunge router or a table router.

Thoughts?

Technical Details
Micro winder enables continuous fine depth adjustment through full plunge range.
Push button plunge conversion activates conventional plunge mode.
Easy set, direct reading 3 stage turret for precise preset cut depths.
Soft start and variable speed (with maintenance under load) provides the perfect speed for all cutter types.
Multi function fence: Extended base for greater stability. Full fence adjustment for trenching. Built in circle cutter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Product Description
From the Manufacturer
Triton 2 1/4HP Router boasts a push button mode changer that lets you switch from free to winder plunge with a 2 5/16" plunge depth, an automatic collet lock system allows single wrench bit changes from below the base (or above the table), full range micro-adjustment, integrated dust control and a failsafe switch lockout system for added safety. Includes - a winding handle, an extended base plate with edge guide and circle cutter, 1/2" straight bit, 1/2" and 1/4" collets . The powerful 13 Amp motor offers variable speed (8,000-21,000RPM), soft start and electronic speed maintenance.
curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

Post by curiousgeorge »

I have the Triton 2 1/4 mounted on my table. I think it would be a waste of good money to buy a lift since you have the Triton. Save it and buy some good bits or something.
George
Ft. Worth, TX.
Go TCU Froggies
pinkiewerewolf
Platinum Member

Post by pinkiewerewolf »

I have the Triton and one of the reasons I bought it was for the the ability to change bit height w/o a lift or removing the router from the table.

I actually bought the Triton last Spring in anticipation of getting a table, so my Triton is still in brand spanking new shape.

The Triton is actually ranked high in its ability to change bit height and change bits through the plate.
If you are into ultra fine measurements then going with a different router and a lift might be the answer for you.

I'd love to see pics of the table when you are through! I drool over the tables that members make on this and other forums.
John, aka. Pinkie. 1-520, 1-510 & a Shorty, OPR. 520 upgrade, Band Saw, Jig Saw, scroll saw, Jointer, Jointech Saw Train.:) Delta Benchtop planer, Makita LS1016L 10" sliding compound miter saw, Trojan manf. (US Made)Miter saw work center, MiniMax MM16 bandsaw.
Squire of the Shopsmith. ...hmmmm, maybe knave, pawn, or wretch would be more appropriate for me.:D
tdubnik
Platinum Member

Post by tdubnik »

I don't actually have the Triton router yet. That is part of my decision. For this table I will buy a new router to go with it. I am debating between the Porter Cable 7518 AND a router lift or the Triton without one. There is a substantial cost savings if I go the Triton route.
pinkiewerewolf
Platinum Member

Post by pinkiewerewolf »

I find it hard to find fault in either of your choices.
I'm novice enough with router tables that the Triton offered me the best all around performance for the buck. (You get accessories equalling about $70 with a purchase of the 2 1/4 hp Triton. That sealed the deal for me.)
I have had excellent luck with P&C routers in the past, even though I never used them to their full potential, we abused them and they kept coming back for more.
I have the 690 for my OPR and I'd like to get some more ponies mounted but this one has been working fine.
John, aka. Pinkie. 1-520, 1-510 & a Shorty, OPR. 520 upgrade, Band Saw, Jig Saw, scroll saw, Jointer, Jointech Saw Train.:) Delta Benchtop planer, Makita LS1016L 10" sliding compound miter saw, Trojan manf. (US Made)Miter saw work center, MiniMax MM16 bandsaw.
Squire of the Shopsmith. ...hmmmm, maybe knave, pawn, or wretch would be more appropriate for me.:D
tdubnik
Platinum Member

Post by tdubnik »

pinkiewerewolf wrote:I have the Triton and one of the reasons I bought it was for the the ability to change bit height w/o a lift or removing the router from the table.

I actually bought the Triton last Spring in anticipation of getting a table, so my Triton is still in brand spanking new shape.

The Triton is actually ranked high in its ability to change bit height and change bits through the plate.
If you are into ultra fine measurements then going with a different router and a lift might be the answer for you.

I'd love to see pics of the table when you are through! I drool over the tables that members make on this and other forums.

It will be a little while before I get to work on it. Right now I am doing my research and thinking through designs. I am pretty sure that I want to build an offset table so that I can ad and Incra system in the future. I also want a cabinet style with a dust collection box and lots of storage. I'll probably mount it on casters so I can move it around.

I have recently started a "shop remodel" to improve the looks and function of my basement workshop. I have completed a roll around work cart that is VERY handy. I am currently working on the "Ultimate SPT Storage System" (pictures in a few weeks).
Attachments
P1010036_1.JPG
P1010036_1.JPG (185.84 KiB) Viewed 10798 times
pinkiewerewolf
Platinum Member

Post by pinkiewerewolf »

tdubnik, the cart looks great, and very sturdy.
That reminds me that I need to make a cart for the garage and a printer cart for the office.
Somehow I'm falling more and more behind on projects.
kd6vpe
Platinum Member

Post by kd6vpe »

tdubnik,
Now that is a real smart looking cart. Very nice job. If only I had a solid floor to work with. Can't wait to see what you come up with on the spt rack.
SS 500 upgraded to 510; SS bandsaw; SS jointer
SS Oscillating Drum Sander; Universal Lathe Rest;
lathe duplicatior, shaper fence and shapers; SS Belt
Sander
Jim
www.youtube.com/kd6vpe
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

I like your cart, tdubnik!!!
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Super looking Cart ther tdubnik! Good Job!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA