Dust Collection when Lathe Turning...

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

regnar
Gold Member

Post by regnar »

You should check out Modularhose.com They have a setup for shopvac 2.5 house that will mold to any angle and will hold itself. I use their hoses on my mill for flood coolant and at work we use it on drill press.
"Sua Sponte"
kartoffelkopf
Gold Member

Post by kartoffelkopf »

kartoffelkopf wrote:Why not something like this? I mounted a SS lamp bracket to the carriage and drop this on when I turn. I'm still working on adapting this arm to my "large mouth" hood because this one isn't quite big enough - but you get the idea.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... uumext.htm
I forgot to add - with the flexible gooseneck setup from Shopsmith everytime I move the carriage up or down the workpiece, my dust collection goes with me. Very nice.
Kartoffelkopf… because no one expects much from a potato head.

SS 520, Power Station, scroll saw, Pro Planer, DeWalt 746 Table Saw w/ Jointech cabinet maker's system, Jet JJ6CSX jointer, Jet 22-44 Closed Base Drum Sander, Grizzly G0513P Bandsaw, Powermatic PM1300 Dust Collector
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

I use the gooseneck vac extension and have found it to be extemely useful in picking up chips from turning.

BPR
tom_k/mo
Platinum Member

Post by tom_k/mo »

Well, I just ordered the goose-neck extension accessory from Linda, and a remote switch for the DC3300. Of course, both are on back-order... :( I'll let you know my opinions of the goose-neck extension when I get it.
ShopSmith MarkV-520 with Belt Sander, Jointer, Band Saw, Strip Sander, Scroll Saw and Biscuit Jointer SPTs and a DC-3300...
Woodworking Hobbyist (Check out all my Woodworking Plans (http://vbwhiz.isa-geek.net/plans)
Aspiring Sandcarver: Breaking glass one grain at a time.
Black Powder Shooter (love the smell of burning sulfur).
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

I use the large hood I posted a link to earlier in this discussion. I find if set up properly and located in close proximity and below my work, along with using a short length of hose, it works to some degree. I have watched how much it pick up and been surprised. I have and use the gooseneck add on with drilling. Neither pick up everything. Both require using thehose with a floor style vaccuum head to clean up what ends up on the floor. Turning like all other uses or configurations of my 520 still require clean up. Somehow all of this clean up doesn't minumize my enjoyment of making sawdust in the least. fjimp
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

Post by curiousgeorge »

As usual, everyone keeps getting the function of a dust collector confused with a vacuum cleaner. A dust collection system is for exactly what it says... Dust Collection. Not chip collection. The only way you will ever catch all the chips, shavings and dust from a lathe is to completely enclose it in a big bag hooked up to a large vacuum system. ;) I am totally happy if my DC catches all the "Dust" (minute breathable particles). My shop vac will pick up the rest off the floor.
George
Ft. Worth, TX.
Go TCU Froggies
hoagie
Gold Member

Post by hoagie »

I just added a Delta dust collector to my shop along with the hood the "big mouth" hood. With a 4inch hose this thing really moves some air. Rockler has a hose clamp that can be attached to a saw horse, roller stand or whatever. I used a step stool to attach the clamp and position the hood as close as possible under the turning stock. (I was working on pens at the time.) Here's what I found:
  1. The amount of dust in the air was remarkably reduced. In previous sessions I had rolled the SS to just outside the garage. Dust blown back in by the slight breeze coated everything in the garage. This time around I was inside with the roll-up door closed and there was minimal dust accumulation. I even left the connecting door to the house open for a bit with no dust drifting inside.
  2. A good amount of the chips also ended up in the hood and were sucked up. By no means do all of them make it. Let's face it: turning has a tendency to throw chips around a bit. But clean up afterward was minimal.
The problem you may have with a big mouth hood is they are designed to be used with 4inch systems. Stepping it down to a 2.5inch hose will still work, but your efficiency may suffer.
Hoagie - B.P.O.E. - NRA Benefactor
Mark V 520, Band Saw, Jointer, Planer, Belt Sander, Biscuit Joiner, RingMaster
Delta Dust Collector, Jet AFS
All generalizations are dangerous. Even this one.
RobertTaylor
Platinum Member

Post by RobertTaylor »

well george, actually dust collectors are very poor at collecting dust and quite remarkable at collecting chips. the dust that passes through the filter are the ones that are most harmful to you. if you are not using an air cleaner with a dust collector it (the dust collector) should be outside of your work area. if you are not using an air cleaner, YOU are the air cleaner and your lungs are a poor way to remove the fine particles from the air. just my $.02 fwiw
Bob
1954 greenie, 1963 anniversary edition now a mini,
1984 500, 1985 510, 1987 510, pro-planer, bandsaw, dust collector
curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

Post by curiousgeorge »

bettyt44720 wrote:well george, actually dust collectors are very poor at collecting dust and quite remarkable at collecting chips. the dust that passes through the filter are the ones that are most harmful to you. if you are not using an air cleaner with a dust collector it (the dust collector) should be outside of your work area. if you are not using an air cleaner, YOU are the air cleaner and your lungs are a poor way to remove the fine particles from the air. just my $.02 fwiw
I would agree with you except that my DC has a .5 micron filter on it and I also use an air filtration system. My DC actually cleans the air almost as well as the filtration system.
George
Ft. Worth, TX.
Go TCU Froggies
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob