Molder article in Dec/Jan Am. Woodworker magazine

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

nuhobby
Platinum Member

Molder article in Dec/Jan Am. Woodworker magazine

Post by nuhobby »

Hi,

The newest American Woodworker issue has an article on the "Magic Molder" which looks like a Shopsmith or Craftsman molder-head with some newer-tech enhancements.

It's interesting they show this gadget capable of cutting a very smooth Cove, much smoother than a table-saw blade, when using the right cutter inserts.

Has anyone used their Molder for cove-cutting? (I don't have one to have tried.)

Likewise has anyone used their Wagner Safe-T-Planer for cove-cutting? (I do have one and I think I've see the "cove" technique in the owner's manual, but haven't ever tried it.)
Chris
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

Again I'm sorry I don't have access to some of the magazines as this sounds interesting. I have seen the magic molder at sometime in the past online and even read some reviews of it. I'm sure a google search would bring those who are interested a bunch of results.

I own the 3-knife craftsman set with a fair selection of cutters. One as I recall is called a cove cutter and looks like a 1/2 circle. I have used it at a native groove cutter but never tried the cove making aspect of it. I guess it would cut cleaner then the table saw but again I have not actually used it that way.

I also have the Safe-T-Planner but I don't recall the instructions for doing cove cuts... maybe be I missed it, I will have to dig out the manual and have a look see.

So basically I can't help you but I am interested in the subject and hope you get some useful responses.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

Thanks Chris, Very interesting article. Has anyone here tried the "Magic Molder" fjimp
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
dickg1
Gold Member

Post by dickg1 »

Chris,
I also have the Wagner Safe-T-Planer. Used it for years before buying the SS planer. If there were suggestions on using it for coves, I long ago have lost them. BTW, I have dimensioned many board feet of rough cut pine, walnut and cherry with the Wagner.
Dick
kartoffelkopf
Gold Member

Post by kartoffelkopf »

Magic Molder looks really cool and has captured my interest more than once… here's why I keep turning away to just stick with what I've already got - what do you do when it comes time to sharpen? I have a pretty extensive collection of knives for the SS molder head, and before every run, I give them a quick touch-up honing. Can't do that (okay… not nearly as easily) with the carbide knives.
Kartoffelkopf… because no one expects much from a potato head.

SS 520, Power Station, scroll saw, Pro Planer, DeWalt 746 Table Saw w/ Jointech cabinet maker's system, Jet JJ6CSX jointer, Jet 22-44 Closed Base Drum Sander, Grizzly G0513P Bandsaw, Powermatic PM1300 Dust Collector